Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

24 Hour risk free cancellation on award tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24 Hour risk free cancellation on award tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sbbi
thanks. would i have to call to cancel to get the 24 RFC? online asks for $150 fee even i just booked today..
You should check that DL hasn't recently changed their rules for this. Also, you can't get the miles back, even if you pay a fee, if you cancel within 72 hours of departure.

If you're seeing the fee on line, call. Hang up and call back if needed.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
Last year I made a couple of low level award reservations @ T-72ish hours, and had no problem cancelling and changing them with in 24 hours of booking. I know I changed the departure city of one ticket when I saw low level pricing popped up after booking my ticket on one trip. To do that the desk just cancelled and re-deposited my miles and I booked it over again. The other time I just flat out cancelled a ticket I booked less than 3 days out but with in the 24hour window.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:22 am

i was able to cancel for free. but i was told it would take a couple days for the miles to redeposit back into my account. is it true? thanks
Old Feb 17, 2015, 5:44 pm

i was able to cancel for free. but i was told it would take a couple days for the miles to redeposit back into my account. is it true? thanks
How long did it take for the miles to redeposit? I'm looking to cancel today, but would like to have the miles back asap so that I can rebook another flight.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL
thanks. would i have to call to cancel to get the 24 RFC? online asks for $150 fee even i just booked today..
Yes, it appears you have to call for this.
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...cellation.html

"For SkyMiles Award Tickets, please call Delta Reservations to request cancellation."

This is pretty stupid since it forces award tickets to suck up representatives instead of having an online way to do it. I am not sure if this is another intentional way for DL to make things difficult (and get $150), or if it is just poor IT.

I am calling today to cancel an award booking from yesterday. It should have taken 5 seconds online. Instead, there is 2 hr queue on reservations because of weather. So I will eat up their valuable time for this simple request.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Just got off the phone with an agent, who says the free cancellation period is 72 hours. I asked her if she meant the rule that 72 hours before departure you cannot change your ticket and she said no.

Does this cancellation policy apply for award tickets departing from outside the US? I ask as the free cancellation policy for revenue tickets does not.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Just got off the phone with an agent, who says the free cancellation period is 72 hours. I asked her if she meant the rule that 72 hours before departure you cannot change your ticket and she said no.

Does this cancellation policy apply for award tickets departing from outside the US? I ask as the free cancellation policy for revenue tickets does not.
This sounds incorrect.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:19 pm

Delta does extend thr 24 hour rule to award tickets but you have to call. If you attempt online the system will look to charge $150.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Does anyone have an answer to this question? Thanks.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by javabytes
"Tickets booked within 72 hours of departure are nonrefundable and cannot be redeposited or changed."

http://www.delta.com/content/dam/del...M_MemGuide.pdf
but risk free cancellation in the first 24 hours of ticketing is a Federal regulation.
it applies to ALL tickets. DL usually allow until the next day midnight which is more then 24 hours.

it does NOT subject to the 72 hours rules until after the Risk Free Cancellation period.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by nydad
Does anyone have an answer to this question? Thanks.
well tickets are eligible as long as it is purchased on Delta.com
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:27 pm

Reviving an old post

Does anyone know how long it takes skymiles to redeposit into your account after canceling? Are the miles posted back into your account instantly?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by abo456
Reviving an old post

Does anyone know how long it takes skymiles to redeposit into your account after canceling? Are the miles posted back into your account instantly?
Sadly to say, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Usually miles are back within 24 hours, your taxes take up to 1-2 weeks.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by abo456
Reviving an old post

Nope. One week is average time they give. It may happen sooner but they only promise a week. Note if you need the miles right away for a new ticket they can get someone on the phone. However they usually only do so when you're looking to rebook right away.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Nope. One week is average time they give. It may happen sooner but they only promise a week. Note if you need the miles right away for a new ticket they can get someone on the phone. However they usually only do so when you're looking to rebook right away.
Yep. If you plan/need to use the miles soon, try to do so during a single phone call. Otherwise you could lose availability as you wait for the miles to reappear and AFAIK nothing can be done at that point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.