Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to book Z fares to Europe (July)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Found some BOS-AMS-ZRH and back fares for right around $2k. Not bad - we're actually trying to go ATL-GVA but for the fare difference I'm willing to do a positioning trip to BOS and then figure out how to get from ZRH to GVA.

Thoughts on any other city pairs to try out? I'm seeing DCA/IAD upthread and have had good luck with IAH and DFW in the past on the USA side, but I'm wondering what other cities people like in that part of Europe that might be nice to fly into, bum around for a day or two, and then take a train or something to Geneva?

Aside from a quick jaunt to Paris, haven't been outside an airport in Europe since before Czechoslovkia was still a thing.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Upgrade to Business Class for $16.50 each way

So I though I'd check what my flight would have cost in Y

Came up to just over $2K (LAX-FRA)

At the bottom it said "Upgrade to Business Class for $16.50 more each way"

So when I clicked it, it came up with a fare of $2047 -- $230 cheaper than what I bought 5 hours ago.

Canceled and split the savings between my PWM and cash.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by gooselee
Found some BOS-AMS-ZRH and back fares for right around $2k. Not bad - we're actually trying to go ATL-GVA but for the fare difference I'm willing to do a positioning trip to BOS and then figure out how to get from ZRH to GVA.

Thoughts on any other city pairs to try out? I'm seeing DCA/IAD upthread and have had good luck with IAH and DFW in the past on the USA side, but I'm wondering what other cities people like in that part of Europe that might be nice to fly into, bum around for a day or two, and then take a train or something to Geneva?
It's not Skyteam, but LH has ATL-TRN in business class for $1499 in July. Turin is a couple of hundred miles from Geneva, an easy trans-alpine bus or train trip (~5 hrs).
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I wouldn't normally use this thread to ask this, but I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these and thought some of you might have opinions. I'm looking at routing IAD-CDG/AMS-FRA. What would you choose between KLM A330, AF 777, or AF A380? I like the fact that the 777 flight is the latest, so it might be best for sleeping. However, I've never flown an A380 in any class, so flying one for the first time upstairs in business is tempting. Seatguru says all three options have angled lie-flats. I can get DL metal true lie-flats on the 767 or 777 on the return but unfortunately not on the overnight eastbound flight (at least at the cheaper price point).
Old Apr 1, 2014, 7:23 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
Wish DL would match, but I just found a United Biz flight for $1550 in August from BWI-CDG.

Tough to pass up.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I wouldn't normally use this thread to ask this, but I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these and thought some of you might have opinions. I'm looking at routing IAD-CDG/AMS-FRA. What would you choose between KLM A330, AF 777, or AF A380? I like the fact that the 777 flight is the latest, so it might be best for sleeping. However, I've never flown an A380 in any class, so flying one for the first time upstairs in business is tempting. Seatguru says all three options have angled lie-flats. I can get DL metal true lie-flats on the 767 or 777 on the return but unfortunately not on the overnight eastbound flight (at least at the cheaper price point).
I've only flown the AF 777 and I would rank is slightly below the old NW and KLM WBC products (while not identical, were pretty close). They are 2-3-2 so there is always the chance you might have to get up to let somebody out if you take the center section.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 7:41 pm

Appears to be dead. I was working on perfecting my VPS-FRA trip. I had it worked out with a nice long layover to visit family, but it won't price out anywhere now. My $2080 itinerary is now $3460. Shame.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 7:51 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by mattp1987
A380, ALL THE WAY!!!!!

I have been on 3 of them in the past 6 months on MRs!!!!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
It's not Skyteam, but LH has ATL-TRN in business class for $1499 in July. Turin is a couple of hundred miles from Geneva, an easy trans-alpine bus or train trip (~5 hrs).
Originally Posted by A4K
Wish DL would match, but I just found a United Biz flight for $1550 in August from BWI-CDG.

Tough to pass up.
It appears UA is in on the action with attacks on SkyTeam hubs. I see ~$1500 on VPS-AMS/CDG. I'm hoping this forces DL to jump back in. Instead of going to bed I guess I'll be trying to work one of these flights for awhile. I might book one of the UA fares thanks to the 24 hour rule.

P.S. I normally love Google Flights for searching, but the amount of cached data they use makes it tough in situations like this when fares appear to have been pulled.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
This is the second time I've seen Delta put these up. Note they tend to be up for 10 hours - so if you see it buy them quick. Only seen Germany, Switzerland and Scand from NYC (in today's only EWR flights were coming up). I bought it on Friday and scored JFK-FRA-JFK nonstops for $1800. So very happy. Bought coach tix FRA-BCN for $250 so total $2050 with TATL in biz and get time in two cities.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: SQ
Classic example of FCM. I'm really going to get mad - that upgrade was mine and mine alone. I spent $3800 on all of my upgradeable fares and now this. Ugh. I'm going to Spirit and Southwest. They'll appreciate me more.

Seriously though, LX is cheaper. Why even bother with DL?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:27 pm

I'm hoping DL puts them back up in the next 24 hours. I booked VPS-IAH-FRA-AMS with 23 hour layovers in FRA. The IAH-FRA and v.v. flights are on LH A380. $1625 all in.

VPS-IAH is operated by a CRJ so those booked into Y. Apparently a Y fare as part of an international P fare is not enough to let me select E+ seats for free. UA.com wants $22.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:36 pm

Booked JFK-FRA-JFK for a 4 day trip last week- 1918 in Z, no ten day stay necessary. Used 50K pesos pay with miles for a price of 1418- sweet.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd book today on the UA fares if they work for your routes. Odds are the points aren't worth paying the extra to DL in many cases.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by sbm12
I'd book today on the UA fares if they work for your routes. Odds are the points aren't worth paying the extra to DL in many cases.
UA J is light years behind DL. I'd rather swim then take UA anywhere for that matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.