Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Delta Award Redemption Charts Released

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheBOSman
Direct link at Delta.com: http://www.delta.com/content/dam/delta-www/skymiles/2015-program/2015SMP-award.pdf
Print Wikipost

New Delta Award Redemption Charts Released

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by TripleD
True. Now let's go to the reason this is right with regard to Delta. The value of miles has a very different analysis. For Delta, it is directly associated with the value of the redemption and the reason awards are constantly being made more expensive and harder to buy.

Major U.S. airlines employ one of two methods to account for the liabilities they incur when issuing mileage credits to traveling passengers. The Deferred Revenue Method recognizes a liability for the fair value of the outstanding mileage credits (with “fair value” defined under International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) as “the amount for which the award credits could be sold separately”). The Incremental Cost Method recognizes a liability for the marginal cost of providing air transportation to eligible award passengers (i.e. the cost of taxes, fuel, food, etc. to fly one additional passenger on a seat that otherwise would have been empty—generally a nominal amount).

Delta Air Lines chose to revalue its FFP under the Deferred Revenue Method following its Chapter 11 reorganization and subsequent fresh start accounting. So did United.

Only Delta and United use the FFP, and only these two will benefit on their balance sheet from a devaluation of the fair value of the redemption of the credits. Hence, from an accounting point of view, only United will be tempted to follow Delta.
I appreciate the attempt to delve into the vaguaries of accounting, but your last statement is not really true. For starters, the incremental cost is impacted by the probability of redemption and the expected redemption price, which can be changed by, for example, changes to your award prices or changing the program to reduce the probability of accounts earning enough miles to complete an award.

What you seem to be proposing is that DL reduces the price at which they could sell a mile, but it isn't clear that the changes actually do that. Indeed, to the extent miles are harder to earn by flying, but are just as easy to earn from 3rd parties, you would think that the 3rd party price paid may actually rise. Of course, the changes may reduce DL's future liabilities and increase future earnings by reducing the share of revenue deferred, but that can be readily accomplished in an Incremental Cost Method just as easily. Indeed, it could be done in exactly the same way.

AA, AS, etal. retain pretty much the same flexibility in reducing future costs of their programs and they retain as much the same flexibility in reducing the current liability. There may be some marginal differences in the optimal changes to maximize your reduction in the current liability based upon which method you use, but I doubt any would lead to significantly different competitive responses, especially when considered against the benefit from reduced earnings in future years.

In short, AA, AS, etal. would see financial benefit from overhauling their award charts and reducing earnings rates regardless of which method they use to value their miles.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
because we have been through this before when Delta went from 2 tiers to 3 tiers. They promised better awards then so why should these changes mean anything better will happen? 5 categories doesn't necessarily mean more low availability.
DL promises more awards at tiers 2 and 4 than ever before.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
It has been repeatedly reported that Delta has poor award availability. Here's one article for instance.

http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2013...orst-airlines/.

How do any of the 2015 changes fix poor award availability?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
DL promises more awards at tiers 2 and 4 than ever before.
Hows the saying go? Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Don't know about you, but some fancy new award chart with 5 tiers doesn't cut the mustard for me.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Right, so the redemption levels are mostly the same - some lower... but I'll be earning half as many miles when I fly?

I hope this works for many people and you enjoy it... not so sure it works for me. I will enjoy the Gold status I earned for 2014, but will not exert myself to earn it again in 2015...

Okay, other airlines, your move. I may not be the biggest HVC, but the $3000-$4000 I spend each year on flights has got to be worth something, right?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
Right, so the redemption levels are mostly the same - some lower... but I'll be earning half as many miles when I fly?

I hope this works for many people and you enjoy it... not so sure it works for me. I will enjoy the Gold status I earned for 2014, but will not exert myself to earn it again in 2015...

Okay, other airlines, your move.
^

It defenitely doesn't pay to be elite with Delta anymore. They have taken away and stripped elite benefits to the bone.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL, SPG
Originally Posted by hazelrah
It has been repeatedly reported that Delta has poor award availability. Here's one article for instance.

http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2013...orst-airlines/.

How do any of the 2015 changes fix poor award availability?
It's a technical fix on the backend with inventory management. They aren't going to share intimate inventory details with customers/competitors.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: Charter/Former 4 time DL Diamond now Platinum, AAExecPlat, MM+ on three carriers, more ...
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I appreciate the attempt to delve into the vaguaries of accounting, but your last statement is not really true. For starters, the incremental cost is impacted by the probability of redemption and the expected redemption price, which can be changed by, for example, changes to your award prices or changing the program to reduce the probability of accounts earning enough miles to complete an award.

What you seem to be proposing is that DL reduces the price at which they could sell a mile, but it isn't clear that the changes actually do that. Indeed, to the extent miles are harder to earn by flying, but are just as easy to earn from 3rd parties, you would think that the 3rd party price paid may actually rise. Of course, the changes may reduce DL's future liabilities and increase future earnings by reducing the share of revenue deferred, but that can be readily accomplished in an Incremental Cost Method just as easily. Indeed, it could be done in exactly the same way.

AA, AS, etal. retain pretty much the same flexibility in reducing future costs of their programs and they retain as much the same flexibility in reducing the current liability. There may be some marginal differences in the optimal changes to maximize your reduction in the current liability based upon which method you use, but I doubt any would lead to significantly different competitive responses, especially when considered against the benefit from reduced earnings in future years.

In short, AA, AS, etal. would see financial benefit from overhauling their award charts and reducing earnings rates regardless of which method they use to value their miles.
I obviously was not clear enough. Let me try again.

Let's compare the systems:

DRM: Use of the Deferred Revenue Method values the miles at what they will buy. When award passengers travel using mileage credits, it has the effect of not only reducing the airline’s FFP liability, but also allows the airline to recognize revenue approximately commensurate with the amount a fare-paying passenger would have paid (because the initial liability was accrued at the then-fair value of air travel). Reduce the value of the miles and you reduce the FFP liability for all miles, but only reduce revenue by the percentage of miles redeemed.

ICM: The Incremental Cost Method recognizes a liability for the marginal cost of providing air transportation to eligible award passengers (i.e. the cost of taxes, fuel, food, etc. to fly one additional passenger on a seat that otherwise would have been empty—generally a nominal amount). Reduce the value of miles and you reduce a number - but a much smaller number. Fair market value is much higher than marginal cost.

I suggest you may wish to read:

[U]Reinforcing the value of frequent flyer miles: How non-flight rewards drive mileage currency and frequent flyer program value.

KPMG. 2008. New accounting rules for airlines’ frequent flyer program liabilities could significantly affect balance sheets. Retrieved from http://web.archive.org/web/201012272...ases/16521.htm
(KPMG, 2008)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...62577051,d.eW0

(Hofer, 2008)

Last edited by TripleD; Mar 6, 2014 at 4:14 pm
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: Charter/Former 4 time DL Diamond now Platinum, AAExecPlat, MM+ on three carriers, more ...
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I appreciate the attempt to delve into the vaguaries of accounting, but your last statement is not really true. For starters, the incremental cost is impacted by the probability of redemption
That is simply not true. See the article I cited.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Domestic BE vs First

Now that they are "charging" extra miles for a domestic BE award ticket vs first, what happens if there is a plane change and you end up with a non-BE product? Can you get the difference back?

As for the five tiers, perhaps they are using the Gillette Company business model: http://www.theonion.com/articles/......-blades,11056/.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
thats a nice chart but the problem has always been with finding the low value that delta advertises. Try finding low availability to the Middle East or S.E. Asia... Good luck! At least with UA, at least in the past, you had plenty of low choice options.
Yes, agreed.

On average Star has made more award seats available for redemption than Skyteam has so until this changes United miles are still more valuable.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by andymo99
Very quick glance at int'l J redemptions... the lowest levels are roughly the same as current. My guess is that they will force the increase by drastically slashing the "Level 1" (formerly "saver") availability and force us up to Level 2 and higher . That is how they will get us to the devaluation.
It will be difficult to slash the lowest tier awards further--for some there's only one flight available over a 3 or 6 month period. Clearly, it all depends on how hard it is to get the lower two classes.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex
of course the prices increase

as the miles earned are deflated, the percentage of flights/miles per mileage ticket are increased. 45,000 miles is work far more than it was when you could do two r/ts to sin from nyc. now, it's it's 5, if you're lucky.

mileage tickets are inflated, as earning is deflated.

are others not fighting back because it is hopeless, because the fly at top fares or another reason.

am confused.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by RipCityFlyer
A little change in mindset is going to have to happen eventually, otherwise we'll just end up with revenue based redemptions. Most people don't really complain about the principle of paying more for cash tickets as a particular flight gets more full\closer to departure, and yet somehow that concept is completely thrown out when it comes to award tickets. I've never heard anyone say "no V availability = no availability" and yet "no low availability = no availability" seems to be the standard motto of the award redemption game. I don't begrudge people for wanting to maximize their value, but there has to be some middle ground.
Until just about every flight has at least one seat at the lowest level, even if way in advance, it won't be like buying tickets with prices increasing as seats are sold and the flight date comes closer. And they'll likely continue to play games like making only one seat available at a time in J so that you won't know when you select your flight whether your partner can join you on the same plane and in the same class at the same rate, or not.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I obviously was not clear enough. Let me try again.

Let's compare the systems:

DRM: Use of the Deferred Revenue Method values the miles at what they will buy. When award passengers travel using mileage credits, it has the effect of not only reducing the airline’s FFP liability, but also allows the airline to recognize revenue approximately commensurate with the amount a fare-paying passenger would have paid (because the initial liability was accrued at the then-fair value of air travel). Reduce the value of the miles and you reduce the FFP liability for all miles, but only reduce revenue by the percentage of miles redeemed.

ICM: The Incremental Cost Method recognizes a liability for the marginal cost of providing air transportation to eligible award passengers (i.e. the cost of taxes, fuel, food, etc. to fly one additional passenger on a seat that otherwise would have been empty—generally a nominal amount). Reduce the value of miles and you reduce a number - but a much smaller number. Fair market value is much higher than marginal cost.

I suggest you may wish to read:

[U]Reinforcing the value of frequent flyer miles: How non-flight rewards drive mileage currency and frequent flyer program value.

KPMG. 2008. New accounting rules for airlines’ frequent flyer program liabilities could significantly affect balance sheets. Retrieved from http://web.archive.org/web/201012272...ases/16521.htm
(KPMG, 2008)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...62577051,d.eW0

(Hofer, 2008)
You do realize that the second article has nothing to do with the first, right?

Regardless, you are assuming that there is a large incentive to generate a one-time goose to the P&L from revaluing miles, while ignoring the much, much, much more important issue that doing so requires decreasing the value of the miles that you can sell (oddly, your second article is entirely about how airlines can continue to sell miles in the presence of reduced availability). DL isn't going to cut off the mileage-selling teet.

At the end of the day, it is just a question of timing for the P&L and no airline is incentivized to make any decision that merely moves money between periods if it means hurting their mileage sales. Over the long-term, there is no impact to revenue or expenses from choosing one method over the other.

Put simply: what is DL's incentive to revalue their miles now - in a period where they don't need the P&L boost? I don't think that they are particularly incentivized by the presence of a liability over which they have so much control. Your theory doesn't really seem to stand up.

That is simply not true. See the article I cited.
What I stated is true. The accrual under an incremental cost method is impacted by the probability of redemption. And, over the long-term, AA and AS and WN and B6 have the same incentives to reduce earnings from flying and raise the mileage required for redemption.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.