Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Delta Award Redemption Charts Released

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheBOSman
Direct link at Delta.com: http://www.delta.com/content/dam/delta-www/skymiles/2015-program/2015SMP-award.pdf
Print Wikipost

New Delta Award Redemption Charts Released

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ocdb8r
Because they're obviously going to try to closely correlate which "Tier" awards are made available with the cash fares they're charging. They are basing earning on $$$ spend...you can sure as well bet they're trying to match that liability by basing mileage cost on ticket price.
This. In fact if you look at award availability today, there is a pretty good relation to fare bucket and level. You're almost never going to find saver if they don't have the lower buckets open, and if they're only selling Y or B tickets then its generally high level. Same goes for first/biz.

Having more levels allows them to tie it to the fare buckets more closely.
Just speculation, but think about this for an example of how the tiers could map...
Econ: YB/MSH/QKLU/TX/VE
First&Biz: JF/CP(YUP/BUP)/DP/IA/ZG
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by rylan
This. In fact if you look at award availability today, there is a pretty good relation to fare bucket and level. You're almost never going to find saver if they don't have the lower buckets open, and if they're only selling Y or B tickets then its generally high level. Same goes for first/biz.

Having more levels allows them to tie it to the fare buckets more closely.
Just speculation, but think about this for an example of how the tiers could map...
Econ: YB/MSH/QKLU/TX/VE
First&Biz: JF/CP(YUP/BUP)/DP/IA/ZG
It still doesn't equate to true dollar-cost based redemption, because none of those letters are constant.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:36 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Oh, one-way awards now? Well, in my on-off quest to visit the busiest airports in the US, I'll have to find a way to get MDW and TPA while eventually returning to NYC/PHL...
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:36 am

I typically make best use of the miles flying on partners to/within other regions, since there's no guessing or trying to make best use of the 3 (now 5) tiers. Only downside to this is that it typically takes multiple phone calls and having to build a trip manually, which I don't mind doing.

Consequently, the real question (for me, at least) will be where partner redemptions fall. Will they still price at "Low" or the new "Level 1" like they did before? If so, I'd be curious to try my card/status for another year at least...
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Just looked at the new award chart. Its all smoke and mirrors. I wonder if delta hired a magician and/or a psychologist to come up with this. I'm gonna place my bet right now that tier 1, South Asia Business Class travel, will be non existent like it is today. We've been down this road before folks (introduction of tier 3 system). 3 years from now we will be posting on here about the same terrible skymiles redemption policy as we have been for the past XXX years.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tkey75
Don't worry, we won't alert the authorities!
isnt that us?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
5 tiers , what a joke.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
At first glance, there is a lot of 'blue' where price decreases and only 2 'gray' where it goes up (peak domestic US Y and F).]
It only appears that way because the Level 2 and Level 4 columns are white -- they really should be grey.

The big question is how availability will be in the tiers... for example will level 2 be the new 'low' and level 5 the new 'mid'? Or will there be enough availability?
3 will be the new low.

'Saver', 'Standard' and 'Peak' are pretty self-explanatory terms. I see no reason to believe that "Level 1" will work like "Saver" fares, nor do I see any reason to believe that Level 1, 2 and 3 fares will available for all destinations. For example, MCO and MIA might never drop below a 'Level 4'.

Heck, "Level 1" might indicate that the destination is in a declared war zone (or Detroit). "Level 2" might only be for one-way flights into *BUF* during January. (Flights *from* BUF in January will obviously be "Level 5" in January, and probably "Level 4" the other 11 months of the year.)
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:47 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I'm gonna place my bet right now that tier 1, South Asia Business Class travel, will be non existent like it is today.
Then you're no worse off, what's the problem?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
I see no reason to believe that "Level 1" will work like "Saver" fares
The fact the chart specifically labels "Level 1" as "Formerly Saver" is not reason to believe that Level 1 will work like Saver?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
For example, MCO and MIA might never drop below a 'Level 4'.

Heck, "Level 1" might indicate that the destination is in a declared war zone (or Detroit). "Level 2" might only be for one-way flights into *BUF* during January. (Flights *from* BUF in January will obviously be "Level 5" in January, and probably "Level 4" the other 11 months of the year.)
Funny enough, aside from weekends, April has good "low" inventory on ATL-MIA.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: SQ
I worry that the new award calendar and search functions will be so easy to use (they actually do look pretty good from the website LOL) that all the level 1 awards get scooped up quickly.

The only reason I actually am reasonably satisfied now is because no one can search for awards and therefore I can scoop up a low one.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:55 am

so, things pretty much stay the same while my ability to earn miles drops by over 40%

yup.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:56 am

If all Delta wanted to do was wring more SkyMiles out of its members for redemptions, all they had to do was quietly turn the knob on its revenue management machine that allocates seats to SkyMiles redemptions already, there would be no reason to put on an elaborate ruse as seems to be the popular opinion here.

How many seats will be allocated to Level 1 compared to Saver? No one knows the answer to that. Not even Delta knows the answer to that because it's over nine months away and I can guarantee you the inputs into their revenue management models, and even the revenue management model itself, will change many times over the next nine months. All I do know is that one-way awards is a big plus, everything else, who knows, we'll see in ten months time.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Beckles
Then you're no worse off, what's the problem?
No problems here. I just find it hard to believe that with the addition of two new tiers, some people seem to think that they will actually score low award redemptions. While it remains to be seen, we have been down this road before when DL went from 2 to 3 tiers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.