Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

View from the Wing reports -#Skymiles2015 chart out soon

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

View from the Wing reports -#Skymiles2015 chart out soon

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
I seem to recall that the page at delta.com describing the 2015 changes stated award calendar was coming out in Q4. It now states "later in 2014". Let's pull the bandages off quickly, DL.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
I seem to recall that the page at delta.com describing the 2015 changes stated award calendar was coming out in Q4. It now states "later in 2014". Let's pull the bandages off quickly, DL.
lets not rush to judgment. We've all seen the recent 'changes' Delta has made. Changes that supposedly were good for us. The 'new' award calendar will ultimately decide whether or not I stay with Delta. I am still reeling from the no upgrade policy on premium transcons. JFK to SEA? How on earth is that a premium transcon? Does UA/AA offer flatbeds on that route?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: DL DM&MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
For me, it tends to be the international award travel for which we most frequently use our SkyMiles. (Going JFK -Bangkok in BE three weeks from now.)
Most important, keep in mind that it isn't the newly acquired miles that matter, it's the tens of millions (?) of miles that are currently in the hands of members. One year's accrual probably isn't a very big factor planning.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Steve007NY
For me, it tends to be the international award travel for which we most frequently use our SkyMiles. (Going JFK -Bangkok in BE three weeks from now.)
Most important, keep in mind that it isn't the newly acquired miles that matter, it's the tens of millions (?) of miles that are currently in the hands of members. One year's accrual probably isn't a very big factor planning.
It's more easily noted in the tens of billions than in the tens of millions.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: DL DM 1.950MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Availability will be the key. If we find it easier to actually find low-tier award flights the change in SkyMiles won't be as bad.

Here's my prediction for coach tiers:
Lowest 10k Each Way
Low 12,500 Each Way
Mid 15,000 Each way
High 20,000 Each way
Highest 25,000 each way

I have no insight, I'm just taking a wild stab.
I will put on my RedTailShark cap and go with:

Standard 12.5K each way
Higher 20K each way
Even Higher 30K each way
Really Much Higher 40K each way
Nosebleed High 50K each way
Special RedTailShark round trip to FCO 635K round trip (this will finally be a published award level).

David
Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I will put on my RedTailShark cap and go with:

Standard 12.5K each way
Higher 20K each way
Even Higher 30K each way
Really Much Higher 40K each way
Nosebleed High 50K each way
Special RedTailShark round trip to FCO 635K round trip (this will finally be a published award level).

David
Wow, a few good laughs on FT this morning. Better then the morning talk shows! ^
Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Did you mean site the source?
Joking? I'd hope he'd cite the source.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
I'm betting domestic Y redemption will remain largely the same, perhaps couple of in-between tiers thrown in. This lets them keep the promise of "Lowest Coach" staying at 25K.

Where the shocker will be is int'l J. I would be not-at-all shocked if the various tiers become tied to revenue fare class, so for EU travel something like:

X/V/T/U - 60K r/t
L/H/Q/S - 80K r/t
M/B/Y - 100K r/t
Z/I/D/C - 125 r/t
J - 150K r/t
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by havnfn
"Theyve had their new redemption chart, but they had planned to keep it a secret. Their members would fly all year, saving points to redeem next year, but not knowing how much those points are worth."

IOW, Delta wanted to keep people hanging on, spending money with them, before they found it their SMs were going to be worth much less than before.
Yep. Revealing the chart is going to be the big dealbreaker. Unless it becomes a lot cheaper to use miles (and it won't be) people will no longer have many talking points for why Delta even has a frequent flyer program. Though maybe in true Delta fashion they'll announce some really low rewards, but somehow that reward will only be eligible for one seat in the entire plane, in the last row near the lav, in the middle seat.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:28 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by akcae
I'm betting domestic Y redemption will remain largely the same, perhaps couple of in-between tiers thrown in. This lets them keep the promise of "Lowest Coach" staying at 25K.

Where the shocker will be is int'l J. I would be not-at-all shocked if the various tiers become tied to revenue fare class, so for EU travel something like:

X/V/T/U - 60K r/t
L/H/Q/S - 80K r/t
M/B/Y - 100K r/t
Z/I/D/C - 125 r/t
J - 150K r/t
That would be a fantastic award chart ...
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
I'm betting it will be somehow way more complex than it is now as well as more expensive. They've made everything else very complex so why not redemption as well. Their announcement of the changes said that there would be "as many as" 5 redemption levels, which implies that for some types of trips there will be fewer levels. I think complexity is part of the strategy, it prevents people from maximizing benefits unless they really follow and keep up with everything.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
Here's my bet for domestic coach, each way:

I think you can get pretty good insight to the new award levels on
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...nnounce#redeem

The award chart has round trip coach at

Assuming these are blended round trips
Assuming the screen shot is not manipulated
Assuming 5 levels

Then it is possible to estimate the 5 tiers pretty closely, as to get to 32,000 you need a 16,000 award each way or a 25,000 award and a 39,000 award. I think 39,000 is unlikely so I bet it is 16,000 each way as the second tier and so on....I therefore think Javabites is going to be pretty close or spot on
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Beckles
That would be a fantastic award chart ...
It's so fantastic that DL management would call the fantasy a nightmare.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 9:03 am

I would actually like the ability to do things other than just try and find flights.

I would be happy to earn GU certificates instead of miles. Miles have become a PITA to deal with and I almost would prefer to be able to buy a cheap ticket and fly first class guaranteed rather than try and find an "award seat".
Old Mar 6, 2014, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by akcae

X/V/T/U - 60K r/t
L/H/Q/S - 80K r/t
M/B/Y - 100K r/t
Z/I/D/C - 125 r/t
J - 150K r/t
You are probably right that int'l J will be the shocker, but my guess is that your numbers are too low. I figure that a r/t in J will cost 300k or 350k. Delta currently charges 32.5k SM for a $500 domestic r/t ticket; applying the same conversion rate to a $5000 r/t in J results in a 325k SM.

(If the "350k for J" rates don't happen in 2015, then expect them in 2016.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.