Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving DL: AS or AA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Leaving DL: AS or AA?

I'm DL Silver for 2014, based in SEA. Almost all of my flying is to NYC, at least 5-6 times a year. All the 2015 SkyMiles changes leave me pretty much unable to achieve any 2015 status with DL, plus the elimination of transcon upgrades has made flying DL at all this year (except for the trips I've already booked) much less appealing.

I have enough unbooked travel left in 2014 that I could meet the minimum elite requirements on either AA or AS, but I understand that both airlines also allow matching (with a challenge in AA's case) to their equivalent tier.

I'm currently torn between the two, though leaning toward AS as it seems it would be slightly easier to achieve MVP (20k miles) vs AA Gold (25 miles) for 2015.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by chowza
I'm DL Silver for 2014, based in SEA. Almost all of my flying is to NYC, at least 5-6 times a year. All the 2015 SkyMiles changes leave me pretty much unable to achieve any 2015 status with DL, plus the elimination of transcon upgrades has made flying DL at all this year (except for the trips I've already booked) much less appealing.

I have enough unbooked travel left in 2014 that I could meet the minimum elite requirements on either AA or AS, but I understand that both airlines also allow matching (with a challenge in AA's case) to their equivalent tier.

I'm currently torn between the two, though leaning toward AS as it seems it would be slightly easier to achieve MVP (20k miles) vs AA Gold (25 miles) for 2015.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
AS if you are in seattle. AS miles can book trip on DL/AA
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by cubachao
Agree. ^
Old Mar 4, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.950MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by cubachao
Agreed. If the AS route system works, then it's kind of an easy choice as AA is going to be busy digesting its merger for a while.

David
Old Mar 4, 2014, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Ok, makes sense

Assuming I match to AS (and I likely will), I have another more specific question: I'm flying DL SEA > HNL next month with a companion. If I switch to AS, will the PNR still be upgrade-eligible (assuming I change my FF# to AS in the itinerary before we travel)? Obviously being AA Gold and not DL Silver will hurt in terms of spot on the upgrade list, not that it would have been great to begin with.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:54 pm
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
I'll throw out JetBlue. I wouldn't suspect a FO scores many upgrades on a TCON, anyway, but I don't know your flying habits.

But yes, I'll echo the comments of merger woes. AS is probably safest, until DL buys them
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No advice for the OP, but DL status qualification is not changing in 2015. Only RDM is changing.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I would say this seems like a pretty easy win for AS. While AA does offer its nonstop JFK-SEA flights, AS IMO offers the 20-25K EQM elite more than AA does, especially for the Seattle based flyer.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
You were getting upgrades as an FO on TCONS ex-SEA?! I've been ~50% this year as GM w/ an EF subscription and booking off-peak times...
I also fly SEA-NYC frequently, and I can't say I'm impressed w/ AS. For one, I don't want to fly into EWR. Also, I don't like the time of the SEA-EWR flights. But if that works for you, go for it.
I would switch to AA but I find their hard-product lacking. And I don't want to bother w/ those 500-mile upgrade certs. But if you think AA's route network will work for you, I would switch to AA.
I wouldn't switch to B6 unless you want to seriously limit your destination options. Or you could always just fly the cheapest carrier.

Bottom line on the DL changes at this point is you will miss some RDM. If you're not going to make MQD, why not get a DL Amex and get the waiver? DL is ramping up at SEA, fares are going down, seems to me like a good time to be an SEA-based DL flier. But as always YMMV.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
From SEA go Greyhound. Win - win.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by chowza
Ok, makes sense

Assuming I match to AS (and I likely will), I have another more specific question: I'm flying DL SEA > HNL next month with a companion. If I switch to AS, will the PNR still be upgrade-eligible (assuming I change my FF# to AS in the itinerary before we travel)? Obviously being AA Gold and not DL Silver will hurt in terms of spot on the upgrade list, not that it would have been great to begin with.
On the upgrade list, with the AS number you will be behind all DL medallions, so basically zilch.

Still can not understand how you can not make DL Silver but can make AA/AS status. You really have an SEA<>HNL plus something like 6 transcons after that, but will be under $2,500 spend?

Do agree that AS is the obvious answer though.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by pleasantsn
Bottom line on the DL changes at this point is you will miss some RDM. If you're not going to make MQD, why not get a DL Amex and get the waiver? DL is ramping up at SEA, fares are going down, seems to me like a good time to be an SEA-based DL flier.
Double Skymiles miles for all of 2014 is hard to give up. $25,000 spend on a Delta Amex credit card may doable by putting EVERYTHING on it + a little mgf spending.

Then use your new Delta status to match to AS in 2015.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:31 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Originally Posted by kettle1
From SEA go Greyhound. Win - win.
We do. It's Greyhound's Sky Cruiser service operated by Dulltah.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

You all are making some good points and I'm starting to reconsider, but still leaning AS.

Re transcon UGs: I managed one last year JFK > SEA on a Sunday morning at 7 AM. I guess I'd rather take my chances on AS than have zero chances on DL. Perhaps I am still being unreasonably optimistic, though. I could also get more creative with routing.

Re EQM/MQD: I figure 20k qualifying miles on Alaska should be easy enough (and 25k on AA could be a stretch, now I think more about it). @exwannabe and the others who were skeptical about my stance on MQD, several of my DL itins this year (including HNL) were purchased last year before DL announced the MQD requirement, so I get no MQDs for them. As for the Delta Amex waiver for MQD spend, I'm pretty frugal and while it might technically be possible, it would be a big hassle to direct the whole family's spend to one card.

And yes, double SkyMiles this year, but how much is that really worth since they keep getting devalued?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You still get MQDs even if tickets were purchased before the MQD requirement was announced, unless the fares are otherwise ineligible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.