Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Based on another thread: Which are the Best DL check-in counters

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AC Elite, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat

So often we all see complaints on this site. A recent on about problems with at checking, says there should be one for KUDOs.

So I will Start This

YYZ - Toronto is excellent -

Connie / Lisa / Mary F / Suba / et al
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: DL DM; UA PLT
Originally Posted by canuk
So often we all see complaints on this site. A recent on about problems with at checking, says there should be one for KUDOs.

So I will Start This

YYZ - Toronto is excellent -

Connie / Lisa / Mary F / Suba / et al
I honestly believe that Daytona Beach (DAB) is the best in the system. Any time spent there...the crew at the ticket counter to the ramp workers know you're name and greet you by it.

I have often walked through the front doors to the counter...only to be waved down and handed my boarding passes without even hitting the check-in line.

Patience abounds...both with the locals as well as those visiting.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:31 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
There are many good ones, but RDU always seems to have its act together. It's not just a luck-of-the-draw thing, with a few really good agents mixed in with many average agents; there is consistent excellence at RDU.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
STL is my personal favorite. Super polite agents, generally very fast service :-)
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: DL ♦, Marriot Plt, NATL EE
PSC is my personal favorite although I've had pretty good luck with most of the smaller airports in the PNW
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:19 am

I'm a bit surprised to hear that there are still people at these check-in counters you speak of. Whenever I walk into RIC there's no one there...
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
The folks at DAY were always great when I flew in and out of there regularly for a couple of years. The manager kindly accommodated more than one late check-in on my part.

ROC definitely takes the booby prize, though the staff there were outsourced last I passed through, not actual Delta employees.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been generally very happy with SkyPriority agents at MSP, including the line dragons who monitor access to the area. I just wish they would boot the kettles from the SkyPriority TSA checkpoint, including kettles allowed into PreCheck. [Why not swap things around and move the FO line to replace the kettles here?]
Old Mar 6, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: DL PM; SPG Plat 100; Marriott Gold; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
There are many good ones, but RDU always seems to have its act together. It's not just a luck-of-the-draw thing, with a few really good agents mixed in with many average agents; there is consistent excellence at RDU.
I had always been very impressed with the RDU crew until last week when I checked in. I was in the SkyPriority line and when I got to the front of the line, I was told by an agent that this was the SP line; the general line was to my right. I am a young FF (all business travel), so I guess I was victim of stereotyping. She was noticeably embarrassed when she discovered that I was, in fact, GM, and was on an international BE ticket. Not really that big of a deal, I know, but it certainly changed my perception of the staff.

Aside from that one experience, RDU has been near the top of the list for me in terms of staff at check in counters.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:33 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Deleted content quoting another poster's (now) deleted content.
This is a "light hearted" thread about check-in counters (and agents); no reason to make it negative.

Anyway, I'm going to go off-topic. I like the agents at BOS, I don't really like the agents at PBI (exception, SkyClub agents). But, Harry the bartender at the SkyClub at PBI makes great Manhattans, so PBI still wins.

Seriously though, great people at BOS.

Last edited by obscure2k; Mar 6, 2014 at 9:59 am
Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
It's pretty rare for me to talk to agents at the checkin counter, but I must say, the agents working the FO counter at MSP last year when I went international were always top notch.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Recently I had great experiences at BOS that really impressed a GM colleague traveling with me.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: DL DM 2.85MM, Priority Platinum
Originally Posted by RDUKingFisher
I had always been very impressed with the RDU crew until last week when I checked in. I was in the SkyPriority line and when I got to the front of the line, I was told by an agent that this was the SP line; the general line was to my right. I am a young FF (all business travel), so I guess I was victim of stereotyping. She was noticeably embarrassed when she discovered that I was, in fact, GM, and was on an international BE ticket. Not really that big of a deal, I know, but it certainly changed my perception of the staff.

Aside from that one experience, RDU has been near the top of the list for me in terms of staff at check in counters.
This goes back a few years ( a lot really) but I was at the MAN counter early for my flight home (ATL at the time) and mentioned to the ticket agent that I was more than willing to move to Business class if they needed the room in the back as it looked like it would be a full flight and she said "We don't upgrade your type.". I was speechless and looked around for the Red Coat but none was to be seen.

So I proceed to the gate in hopes of finding one and luck would have it a Red Coat was working the gate. I told her the story and she asked for my boarding pass and she said "I was going to call you", reached down and picked up a boarding pass for Business. She then went on to tell me that the saturday morning flight was a primary vacation flight for passengers going on cruises and the ticket counters are to not upgrade tourist travelers. Since it was saturday, I was in jeans and a tee shirt with a light jacket. The Red Coat said they had issues with the tourist getting up front and drinking all the booze and having to be carried off the plane to fights breaking out. So unless the ticket was purchased in front the only upgrades would be for higher elites and older passengers. The flights were always over sold in Y and seldom had many passengers in the front but to get everyone on they would fill the front and they were selective. The Red coat said my jeans were an indicator to not upgrade me but the status made it an automatic one for her when she scanned the list.

Looks can be deceiving and people do read a book by its cover sometimes.

Back on topic, ABQ (not my home airport) always seems to have people that are nice and when they say "see you next month" it sort of is nice to know that they recognize you from trip to trip, even if it is only on monthly visits.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
SkyPriority check-in area at JFK T4. Separate check-in area, nice people, couches to relax if you are not ready to head through security and mini bottles of water. The last two are very important if you show up to the airport with a colossal hangover.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:14 pm

YYZ - Toronto is excellent
Seconded. They're great. I get scolded sometimes for doing dumb stuff (super late check in) but it's always my fault and they're always good about it. ;-)

BUF has an incredible crew too; in IRROPS, I'd rather be in BUF flying DL than anywhere else in the system.

SFO is pretty good too, especially the evening crew.

RDU
Checkin/gate agents yes. SkyClub absolutely not. My least favorite club in the system due to staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.