Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Does the SkyMiles name still make sense?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does the SkyMiles name still make sense?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1.55MM Lifetime Premier Gold, AA Exec. Plt., NW MM(875K on DL), MC Gold, HH Diamond, SPG, HY GP
Why not call the program Biggest Spender? That would make a lot more sense in all seriousness. Do you think that people posting mileage accrual "secrets" or "loopholes" in this forum, and the use of ITA software and similar tools, contributed to DL making this change? The "secrets" aren't "secrets" any longer.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by JoeTravel
Why not call the program Biggest Spender? That would make a lot more sense in all seriousness. Do you think that people posting mileage accrual "secrets" or "loopholes" in this forum, and the use of ITA software and similar tools, contributed to DL making this change? The "secrets" aren't "secrets" any longer.
At the end of the day a vast majority of existing FF will stay put. We all can moan and groan but it's a sign of the times. There has been way too much hype on getting points and guess what we all pay dearly for them. so why not let the ones that pay the most get the higher return on their tickets ? There is way way too much "entitlement" out there. Way too much.

I am a loyal FF ( not DL) and pay for FC or auto upgrade fare or full fare. Having said that I also worked my way up the food chain but key word is worked my way up. So I understand the other side of the argument.

At the end of day should not rewards be income based? I think so.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by edgewood49
At the end of the day a vast majority of existing FF will stay put. We all can moan and groan but it's a sign of the times. There has been way too much hype on getting points and guess what we all pay dearly for them. so why not let the ones that pay the most get the higher return on their tickets ? There is way way too much "entitlement" out there. Way too much.

I am a loyal FF ( not DL) and pay for FC or auto upgrade fare or full fare. Having said that I also worked my way up the food chain but key word is worked my way up. So I understand the other side of the argument.

At the end of day should not rewards be income based? I think so.
Employment/Income-based rewards should be taxable as the value of the rebate (given for a second/third-party-paid ticket for work travel) becomes more readily fixed and determinable for purposes of issuing 1099s.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
I would posit that they stick with the Sky Miles name... it has brand recognition already...

...and Sky Points doesn't work for the new program... maybe "Sky Pointless?"
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Employment/Income-based rewards should be taxable as the value of the rebate (given for a second/third-party-paid ticket for work travel) becomes more readily fixed and determinable for purposes of issuing 1099s.
have no issues with that nor do I if they simply eliminated all programs as they did before. Want a particular seat then you can pay for it!
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Delta Points
Thanks! This is exactly what I was referring to.

The "being driven out of Loyalty" phrase there is priceless. Just have to put "(former) customers" in front of it, and then they'll have it just right!

So they called it "Evolution of SkyMiles"...but it's clear that the point is to "drive out" (or in other words, end) the loyalty program, so I just always made the connection that "Evolution" here in Dullta speak really means "End" (as if SkyMiles is "being driven out of Loyalty" and is no longer even thought of as a loyalty program by DL, then what does the "E" really stand for in the EOS?).
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Thanks! This is exactly what I was referring to.

The "being driven out of Loyalty" phrase there is priceless. Just have to put "(former) customers" in front of it, and then they'll have it just right!

So they called it "Evolution of SkyMiles"...but it's clear that the point is to "drive out" (or in other words, end) the loyalty program, so I just always made the connection that "Evolution" here in Dullta speak really means "End" (as if SkyMiles is "being driven out of Loyalty" and is no longer even thought of as a loyalty program by DL, then what does the "E" really stand for in the EOS?).
Point where does "loyalty" stop and "entitlement" begin ?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by FitTraveler
I heard from an well-connected agent in the Baggage Claim Office that when the 2015 Award Chart and 2016 Medallion elite level qualifications are rolled out the name of the program will change to:

SkyRobbery
Nope, the new name is SkyJack.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
I would posit that they stick with the Sky Miles name... it has brand recognition already...

...and Sky Points doesn't work for the new program... maybe "Sky Pointless?"
What? Just where is this silly speculation coming from? Delta never mentioned they would change the name of their program. In fact they said explicitly the opposite (read delta.com - if who haven't bothered to do so):

INTRODUCING THE 2015 SKYMILES PROGRAM.
As part of our ongoing efforts to improve your travel experience on Delta, we’re making updates to the SkyMiles program. Starting January 1, 2015, miles will be earned based on ticket price to better reward customers who spend more with Delta. We’re also creating more redemption options and increasing Award Seat availability at the lowest price points.

It's still going to be called SkyMiles and what you earn will be miles although they are no longer tied to distance. More from delta.com:

TO COMPARE HOW MANY MILES YOU'LL EARN FOR A FLIGHT IN THE 2015 PROGRAM,
SELECT YOUR STATUS AND ENTER FLIGHT INFORMATION.

GENERAL MEMBER
5 MILES / $1
SILVER MEDALLION
7 MILES / $1
GOLD MEDALLION
8 MILES / $1
PLATINUM MEDALLION
9 MILES / $1
DIAMOND MEDALLION
11 MILES / $1

I ran several mileage examples through their calculator and conclude that nearly EVERY flyer, regardless of status is going to take a big hit (and I'm a DM who flies expensive long-haul flights). The one major exception would those who regularly fly very expensive and very short flights (like DCA-JFK). In 2016, the ranks of Diamond Medallions are going to be as scarce as dodo birds. I plan to fly the coop and move to United, at least until they follow Delta's lead. I hope they are smart enough to see this as a marketing advantage over Delta. We all know Jeff already likes to treat all of his frequent flyers alike (for example, allowing credit card holders to board with Premier Golds).
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
What? Just where is this silly speculation coming from? Delta never mentioned they would change the name of their program. In fact they said explicitly the opposite (read delta.com - if who haven't bothered to do so):

INTRODUCING THE 2015 SKYMILES PROGRAM.
As part of our ongoing efforts to improve your travel experience on Delta, we’re making updates to the SkyMiles program. Starting January 1, 2015, miles will be earned based on ticket price to better reward customers who spend more with Delta. We’re also creating more redemption options and increasing Award Seat availability at the lowest price points.

It's still going to be called SkyMiles and what you earn will be miles although they are no longer tied to distance. More from delta.com:

TO COMPARE HOW MANY MILES YOU'LL EARN FOR A FLIGHT IN THE 2015 PROGRAM,
SELECT YOUR STATUS AND ENTER FLIGHT INFORMATION.

GENERAL MEMBER
5 MILES / $1
SILVER MEDALLION
7 MILES / $1
GOLD MEDALLION
8 MILES / $1
PLATINUM MEDALLION
9 MILES / $1
DIAMOND MEDALLION
11 MILES / $1

I ran several mileage examples through their calculator and conclude that nearly EVERY flyer, regardless of status is going to take a big hit (and I'm a DM who flies expensive long-haul flights). The one major exception would those who regularly fly very expensive and very short flights (like DCA-JFK). In 2016, the ranks of Diamond Medallions are going to be as scarce as dodo birds. I plan to fly the coop and move to United, at least until they follow Delta's lead. I hope they are smart enough to see this as a marketing advantage over Delta. We all know Jeff already likes to treat all of his frequent flyers alike (for example, allowing credit card holders to board with Premier Golds).
you're right... this is a silly thread with silly speculation on something that they were pretty clear will stay as sky miles... bottom line is let's wait a few months to see what the new AA program will look like... if they stay traditional, they've got a whole bunch of new business coming their way... if not, then UA will follow the new DL changes, too
Old Mar 1, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
This is getting good. So many hashtags:

#SkywayRobbery
#SkyFail
#SkyScam
#SkyPesos
#DeltaDieMiles
#DeltaLieMiles
#DeltaPiles

Could do this all day long
Nice. Personally, I like #DeltaPiles
Old Mar 1, 2014, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
I didn't read the thread ... but when I saw this comment ... I want to call out ....

Skypesos!
Old Mar 1, 2014, 11:42 pm

This is getting good. So many hashtags:

#SkywayRobbery
#SkyFail
#SkyScam
#SkyPesos
#DeltaDieMiles
#DeltaLieMiles
#DeltaPiles

Could do this all day long
just call it the inconsistent, never know what you're investing in, always changing for the worse delta "loyalty" program... then make bubba happy and match to AA
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by JoeTravel
Why not call the program Biggest Spender? That would make a lot more sense in all seriousness. ....
- I like the "Biggest Spender". To make it short - SkyBS
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by edgewood49
have no issues with that nor do I if they simply eliminated all programs as they did before. Want a particular seat then you can pay for it!
When was it that they simply eliminated all FF programs?

Mileage tickets are revenue tickets, and so the seats are paid whether booking a mileage ticket or booking a regular-paid ticket not using miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.