Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2015 Korean Air Blackout dates for DL Skymiles redemptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Korean Air Blackout dates for DL Skymiles redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Sabai
SkyTeam: The World's Most Dysfunctional Alliance
I was fortunate to have a backup option, but I think shame on Delta that their agents cannot ticket an award itinerary showing online.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat; SPG Plat
Just tried to book Business Class HKT to MSP via ICN & JFK on December 27, 2015. The first two legs are KE flights. Shows availability online and when you try to finish the booking, error message. Called Delta and they saw what I was seeing, but said there is no way around it, it is Korean blackout dates.

They shouldn't be showing this as available if it's really not. Started to make other plans based on that flight route.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by emkn45
Just tried to book Business Class HKT to MSP via ICN & JFK on December 27, 2015. The first two legs are KE flights. Shows availability online and when you try to finish the booking, error message. Called Delta and they saw what I was seeing, but said there is no way around it, it is Korean blackout dates.

They shouldn't be showing this as available if it's really not. Started to make other plans based on that flight route.
There are no more published blackout dates for KE. When it doesn't book online (and it rarely does), agents should be able to book by phone. Call back again and try with a different, hopefully better, agent. If they keep telling you that it's blackout dates, tell them to check the fare rules and see for themselves that there are no blackout dates for KE.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 5:58 pm

I was able to book a one-way business award ticket using the Delta iPhone app for BKK-ICN-SEA-MSP on 06MAR16 for 70,000 miles. BKK-ICN-SEA is on KE.

Last edited by lostone; Apr 9, 2015 at 7:41 pm
Old Apr 9, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat; SPG Plat
On my 4th call to Delta today...so far.
Judy, Mary and Tenisha at the Platinum line have all been very nice but so far unable to do anything to help me, stating it is a Delta.com problem and not their problem. On hold twice with Delta.com line; first time for 42 minutes before hanging up, this time I am at 36 minutes and still waiting...what a joke.

Update: Got through, but Delta.com is saying there is nothing they can do, I need to talk to the SkyMiles desk. Which I've already done 4x. Round and round we go, through various layers of supervisors.

Last edited by emkn45; Apr 9, 2015 at 7:07 pm
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Judy, Mary and Tenisha at the Platinum line have all been very nice but so far unable to do anything to help me, stating it is a Delta.com problem and not their problem. On hold twice with Delta.com line; first time for 42 minutes before hanging up, this time I am at 36 minutes and still waiting...what a joke.

Update: Got through, but Delta.com is saying there is nothing they can do, I need to talk to the SkyMiles desk. Which I've already done 4x. Round and round we go, through various layers of supervisors.
Sorry to hear that. But, unfortunately, it's not atypical. I've found that it often can take as long as the actual trip flying time just to book the flights with Delta.

You can ask for Global Ticketing Support or some other such higher level of escalation when you call and try to get through to an agent who has access to the more powerful and less buggy than Polaris (but still very buggy) DeltaMatic.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:06 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer

WHAT'S NEW WITH HOW YOU REDEEM MILES?

You said it should be easier to redeem miles. We heard you, so we’ve made Award Travel more flexible with more options than ever for flights booked on or after January 1, 2015.

More lies from the weasels at SkyMiles.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by Sabai

More lies from the weasels at SkyMiles.
I'm having increasing trouble trying to figure out what is just incompetence and what are downright lies. At least with an airline like VS, you know it's the latter.

Delta, you have lost your way.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I'm having increasing trouble trying to figure out what is just incompetence and what are downright lies.
Let me help you:

SkyMiles: Lies
Delta IT: Incompetence
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:16 pm

After my 2+ hours of frustration because one part of Delta couldn't communicate with another, I sent a detailed complaint. One month later I received the following generic response:

Thank you for your email describing the problem you experienced booking
Delta SkyMiles partner award stats.

I regret your frustration when you attempted to book your Award Travel
through our website, delta.com. As a global airline, Delta is proud that
we have the largest base of loyal travelers; however, we face the
challenge of satisfying the ever-increasing demand of Award Travel.

While a limited number of lower-priced seats are available for Award
Travel on each flight, availability varies depending on the date, time
of day, and destination. Also, fluctuations in passenger demand,
seasonal trends, peak travel times and other factors determine at what
prices Award Seats will be offered.

I understand your disappointment that your desired flights were not
available at a lower price. If you have flexibility in your travel
plans, we encourage you to try searching by different dates or
destinations.

Remember, there is increased demand on Award Seat availability for
popular vacation destinations, and prices listed are not guaranteed
until the ticket is issued.

For more information about the SkyMiles Award Travel, please visit
delta.com/awardtravel.

Additionally, we have introduced more redemption options than ever and
still offer last-seat availability on every Delta Air Lines flight.
Plus, you now earn miles based on ticket price for Delta-marketed or
-ticketed flights. Visit delta.com/skymiles2015 to learn more.

Your support as a Medallion member is important to Delta, our Connection
Carriers, and SkyTeam partners. We look forward to your continued
patronage.

Sincerely,

This is so frustrating for me because I have been loyal to DL for many years and have been very appreciative of the recognition (international upgrades, etc.) we have received over the years. It was obvious to me me that the person who finally read my detailed complaint either didn't have a clue as to how to respond or just didn't care. Very sad.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by spinmeister
After my 2+ hours of frustration because one part of Delta couldn't communicate with another, I sent a detailed complaint. One month later I received the following generic response:

Thank you for your email describing the problem you experienced booking
Delta SkyMiles partner award stats.

I regret your frustration when you attempted to book your Award Travel
through our website, delta.com. As a global airline, Delta is proud that
we have the largest base of loyal travelers; however, we face the
challenge of satisfying the ever-increasing demand of Award Travel.

While a limited number of lower-priced seats are available for Award
Travel on each flight, availability varies depending on the date, time
of day, and destination. Also, fluctuations in passenger demand,
seasonal trends, peak travel times and other factors determine at what
prices Award Seats will be offered.

I understand your disappointment that your desired flights were not
available at a lower price. If you have flexibility in your travel
plans, we encourage you to try searching by different dates or
destinations.

Remember, there is increased demand on Award Seat availability for
popular vacation destinations, and prices listed are not guaranteed
until the ticket is issued.

For more information about the SkyMiles Award Travel, please visit
delta.com/awardtravel.

Additionally, we have introduced more redemption options than ever and
still offer last-seat availability on every Delta Air Lines flight.
Plus, you now earn miles based on ticket price for Delta-marketed or
-ticketed flights. Visit delta.com/skymiles2015 to learn more.

Your support as a Medallion member is important to Delta, our Connection
Carriers, and SkyTeam partners. We look forward to your continued
patronage.

Sincerely,

This is so frustrating for me because I have been loyal to DL for many years and have been very appreciative of the recognition (international upgrades, etc.) we have received over the years. It was obvious to me me that the person who finally read my detailed complaint either didn't have a clue as to how to respond or just didn't care. Very sad.
DL needs to update its generic "piss off" letter. There are no longer list prices for mileage redemptions; it's whatever their primitive IT systems manage to cough up.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: DL DM
I did successfully resolve one today for June 2015 where delta.com was showing multiple KE options, all were "just sold out" when trying to issue. DM line was the typical can't see inventory and nothing can be done, told them not to bother with the delta.com help desk and instead transfer to supervisor to honor it on DL metal rather than me filing a DOT complaint for not honoring a published fare. Kept it all very polite and friendly and it got sorted. My wife would rather be on KE, but she'll take DL.

The KE return priced correctly and issued on delta.com, both were on old KE blackout dates, according to the supervisor she was seeing different region-specific blackouts, so US-North Asia was not working but North Asia-US was. Following the comments in the thread that must be the new peak award dates having their effect.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

That's why I created the Booking on SM partners thread - the process was mind numbingly complex. It continues to get worse now with the opaque pricing.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by RapidTravelChai
The KE return priced correctly and issued on delta.com, both were on old KE blackout dates, according to the supervisor she was seeing different region-specific blackouts, so US-North Asia was not working but North Asia-US was. Following the comments in the thread that must be the new peak award dates having their effect.
If DL now is blacking out KL only on region (and direction) specific, where KE has higher mileage at the time, that is a plus and a big step forwards then. Not quite as good as no blackout dates, but still much better how it was before.

BTW, KE's peak award dates are nothing new. Just DL would always black out everything then, every single KE flight, even if it was just for domestic w/in Korea flights "peak" dates. Now, from what you are saying here, they are only blocking the "peak" flights by the sector and direction.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
If DL now is blacking out KL only on region (and direction) specific, where KE has higher mileage at the time, that is a plus and a big step forwards then. Not quite as good as no blackout dates, but still much better how it was before.

BTW, KE's peak award dates are nothing new. Just DL would always black out everything then, every single KE flight, even if it was just for domestic w/in Korea flights "peak" dates. Now, from what you are saying here, they are only blocking the "peak" flights by the sector and direction.
But this doesn't matter if Delta.com is showing availability on a particular date. I was trying to book HKG-ICN-JFK during a former blackout date for North Asia-US. If you're saying that Delta is still blacking that out based on KE's peak dates (although the whole discussion is that Delta isn't doing that anymore based on the new fare rules showing), then fine, but they shouldn't show availability online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.