Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta adds free Luvo wraps to JFK-(LAX-SFO-SEA) EC seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta adds free Luvo wraps to JFK-(LAX-SFO-SEA) EC seats

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:22 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by johnm1019
I still think its ridiculous they can operate 5+ hour flights with only peanuts and pretzels.
Well, I suppose it could always be worse-- UA is eliminating peanuts/pretzels on all flights, including long-haul int'l.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Somebody help me remember here... I thought DL had already introduced free snack boxes on TCON EC? But when I flew LAX-JFK in EC there was no such thing offered, and when I tried to find some documentation of it anywhere I couldn't find it.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by bennos
Somebody help me remember here... I thought DL had already introduced free snack boxes on TCON EC? But when I flew LAX-JFK in EC there was no such thing offered, and when I tried to find some documentation of it anywhere I couldn't find it.
The snack boxes was bean dip, chips, a chocolate, and a bar of some granola-y sort when I flew. I would've rather have had this wrap, though.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:54 am
[INACTIVE] Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Originally Posted by SansSerif
I thought the West coast shuttle offered snacks from Lyfe kitchen? What's with this LUVO business
Lyfe Kitchen changed their name to Luvo, at least for their food available for purchase in stores (and on planes). The restaurant side of the company still goes by LYFE Kitchen.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
With all three legacies offering an enhanced TCON product xJFK, there will be incremental competetive offerings here and there.

But, nobody seems to want to take the plunge and establish a true Premium Economy product as a separate class of service.

I really wonder how much traffic you drive, by offering a sandwich to a business community which is presumably invoicing/expensing its meal costs.

I was more intrigued with the idea of pre-ordering full meals for a fee in Y. Perhaps the same as the premium cabin, but served on a single tray.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
With all three legacies offering an enhanced TCON product xJFK, there will be incremental competetive offerings here and there.

But, nobody seems to want to take the plunge and establish a true Premium Economy product as a separate class of service.

I really wonder how much traffic you drive, by offering a sandwich to a business community which is presumably invoicing/expensing its meal costs.

I was more intrigued with the idea of pre-ordering full meals for a fee in Y. Perhaps the same as the premium cabin, but served on a single tray.
There is the business traveler on a per diem crowd to consider. They mostly fly coach and like to pocket or use their per diem otherwise.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Delta's long game appears to be: (1) Improve first class and make it available only by hard dollar purchase, i.e., no upgrades. The hope is that more business travelers will pay for 1st if there's no avenue to get it as an upgrade, putting $$ in the coffers. I seriously doubt this move will be limited to the routes between the NE and the west coast. Atlanta and Minneapolis to the west coast can't be far behind if it tests out well in the NE to west coast markets. (2) Make Economy Comfort the new, less expensive option for keeping high value coach customers loyal. The hope is that frequent coach flyers will keep flying Delta because that group will be in the really bad seats on a competitor instead of Economy Comfort. It's a mini-upgrade of sorts.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. If it works, Delta will make more money by raising the demand for paid first class seats and will save costs by "upgrading" only to EC (with less real estate per seat and less in flight perks) instead of to first. If it fails, Delta risks alienating frequent travelers from whom the airline has worked hard over the years to cultivate a feeling of loyalty.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
"free"? Not for most passengers on the DL JFK flights to/from the West Coast.
OMG...could the glass be emptier with you?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes

Interesting! Hadn't seen that promoted. Alas I was hoping for some options on my DTW-LAX flight a few weeks ago (apparently this service only works if one side of the flight is SFO or JFK?)
Would be nice to see it at any flight going out of a hub.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
Delta's long game appears to be: (1) Improve first class and make it available only by hard dollar purchase, i.e., no upgrades. The hope is that more business travelers will pay for 1st if there's no avenue to get it as an upgrade, putting $$ in the coffers. I seriously doubt this move will be limited to the routes between the NE and the west coast. Atlanta and Minneapolis to the west coast can't be far behind if it tests out well in the NE to west coast markets. (2) Make Economy Comfort the new, less expensive option for keeping high value coach customers loyal. The hope is that frequent coach flyers will keep flying Delta because that group will be in the really bad seats on a competitor instead of Economy Comfort. It's a mini-upgrade of sorts.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. If it works, Delta will make more money by raising the demand for paid first class seats and will save costs by "upgrading" only to EC (with less real estate per seat and less in flight perks) instead of to first. If it fails, Delta risks alienating frequent travelers from whom the airline has worked hard over the years to cultivate a feeling of loyalty.
This. The folly of handing out domestic F as a freebie has come home to roost. Preserve the premium brand and offer a bit of legroom, a beer and a wrap as the consolation prize and you have still differentiated elites and those willing to pay a bit, but have preserved F for real.

This, of course, works on the xJFK TCONs with their HVC predominance. But, I don't see a huge market for what amounts to 3-class service, e.g. F, enhanced EC & Y on the average route.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GatorBlues

Given all the "waivers and favors" the US Government has given the airlines, the risk of alienating US-based frequent travelers today is a small fraction of what it was even a handful of years ago -- regardless of how badly the legacy players/cartels in the oligopoly burn their customers via FFP scheme devaluations.

Originally Posted by bubbashow
OMG...could the glass be emptier with you?
Of course, but crying to a deity -- DL or otherwise -- won't change a thing. It certainly won't change the fact that most DL customers on these flights won't be getting "free" wraps.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
About that full EC cabin

I expect the next step for DL will be removing the free/discounted EC seats of these TCON routes. PM/DM may keep these benefit ( like intl EC) but GM and below can say bye bye to free EC seating. Considering 25% plus of planes are medallion members these days it makes sense to limit free EC to only PM+. Stay tuned.

No doubt. This enhancement is a small condolence prize to the recipients of the no free upgrades on this route.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Delta Points
Do keep in mind that since there will soon be NO upgrades there may be NO HOOUs on this route. Also keep in mind HOOUs are NOT guaranteed.
I wouldn't think the no upgrades on this rout would make a difference in getting the HOOU coupon. I fly on CRJ-200's and always get the HOOU coupon even though there is no possibility of an upgrade.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
i think its a nice move....DL is making coach as tolerable as possible for EC passengers on these routes.
+1

BTW, I don't know what the actual food costs are to DL for the wraps, but I wish DL would consider serving something similar to this as the pre-landing snack on westbound TATL flights. First there was the dreadful "pizza", then it got folded in half and became a "calzone". A sizeable portion each wind up in the trash. I could totally handle this wrap as the pre-landing snack on westbound TATL flights.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I wouldn't think the no upgrades on this rout would make a difference in getting the HOOU coupon. I fly on CRJ-200's and always get the HOOU coupon even though there is no possibility of an upgrade.
Well, that may be a benefit for having to fly on that torture tube!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.