Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta invests in 225 narrowbody aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta invests in 225 narrowbody aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Some observations:

1. I first flew on a 757 in late 1984, so the oldest DL 757s are approaching their 30th birthday.

2. Song had 199 Y seats on the 757. So, the new seats must be quite a bit thinner to allow 199 seats, including a 20 seat F cabin.

3. If DL were to go with 200 or more seats, they'd have to add an additional FA. It seems like a long, long time since DL employed more than the minimum FAs on a domestic flight (I'm thinking back to the 1980s when the Big D staffed the 148 seat 727-200s with 5 FAs).
Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL Gold (2.5MM program miles), Airtran A+ Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
AVOD with touchscreens -- not good

Hey, Corporate Guy: why does Delta continue to insist on installing AVOD systems with touchscreens, rather than armrest controls? It is bad enough that the touchscreens are difficult to use (the screens aren't very sensitive to touch) but it gets even worse when the kid in the row behind me keeps pressing the screen hard enough to be felt through my headrest.

I can only imagine the sensation when that same kid is pounding on his AVOD unit attached to the back of my new slimline seat. Oh, joy. If you are really interested in passenger comfort, go with the armrest controls, please!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Beckles
I would think this must be true for the A319 and A320 bins too since they're increasing in size by 60% compared to 50% for the 757's. I was a little surprised by the percentage increase in size until I Googled 'bin retrofit' or something like that and realized they must be going to bins that accommodate bags wheels first and edgewise as you mention.
I just wonder why DL won't include the 738s as well. Considering that DL's 738s are still quite young, I would think it would make sense for them to get the large pivot bins as well, that way DL will have large pivot bins on all narrowbodies except the MDs and 717s.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by javabytes
Keep in mind those 4 seats you're "gaining" on the A320s are seats DL recently took away.
How often they take credit for giving back what they previously took away.

Anyone remember the non-expiring/expiring/non-expiring miles head fake?

Has anyone run the integrated totals? Will we net more, or fewer, FC seats over the total 225 aircraft?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
"We're continuing to make smart long-term investments in our products and services to meet the expectations of our customers," said Glen Hauenstein, executive vice president – Chief Revenue Officer. "In just six years, we will have made updated to interiors throughout Delta's fleet giving customers improved comfort and more options to work or relax and be entertained."
Whoever put the "s" and the "d" next to each other on the keyboard did not devote enough time to thinking this out.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Are these new slimline seats anything like the torture chaises (aka Evolve) being discussed over here?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by plagwate
Are these new slimline seats anything like the torture chaises (aka Evolve) being discussed over here?
No. The Southwest seats are a modified version of their existing B/E Aerospace Innovator II seats with less padding. The B/E Aerospace Pinnacle is a completely different seat altogether; they are the same seats as on the 739ERs and modded A330s.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OldRoyal
Hey, Corporate Guy: why does Delta continue to insist on installing AVOD systems with touchscreens, rather than armrest controls? It is bad enough that the touchscreens are difficult to use (the screens aren't very sensitive to touch) but it gets even worse when the kid in the row behind me keeps pressing the screen hard enough to be felt through my headrest.

I can only imagine the sensation when that same kid is pounding on his AVOD unit attached to the back of my new slimline seat. Oh, joy. If you are really interested in passenger comfort, go with the armrest controls, please!
But the armrest controls require a cable going from screen to armrest, and extra hardware.
Moreover, the old armrest controls still in service are an absolute nightmare: buttons don't work and people wiggling in their seats continuously push the call attendant button with their cheeks. A real joy during overnight TATL's to hear a bell going off every 30 seconds.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by OldRoyal

But think how hard they will press the screen when nothing ever happens

FWIW, The correct solution is to have screens where the local processor gives immediate feedback that the screen has been pressed. The reason people press hard is bacause they do not think the screen is responding. Have the screen at least light up or blink something and they will significantly reduce the issue.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
Does anyone know if the "slim line" seats are going to be the B/E Pinnicles or the Ricardos? The Ricardos (which is what UAL is putting into the A320s they are taking IFE and audio out of, and NOT PUTTING POWER INTO) are awful even with the "comfort package" on anything beyond about an hour flight. Just awful.

On the other hand the B/E Pinnicles are ok seats. If its the B/E then this is (IMHO) a substantial and (other than the 757 seats) TOTAL win for DAL.

The contract with UAL which is putting horrible Recardos in the A320 and pulling out IFE and not putting power in is STARK.

One airline will be proved to be smart about their product offerings, and one will be a goat. I think the goat is UAL, but can always be wrong.
UA is not removing IFE from its Airbus fleet -- instead, it's merely transitioning from the archaic drop-down video screens to on demand, streaming IFE passengers may watch on their own devices. I consider this to be an improvement -- the current IFE is boring and sometimes frightening; I traveled between DTW/ORD nearly every weekday summer 2008 and saw the same episodes of Ugly Betty nearly 50 times each. Still gives me nightmares. The new IFE will be similar to DL's, just not as convenient. I don't agree with the decision not to include in-seat power, however.

I question DL's decision to expand PTVs, given that it will still not lead to a consistent product; I will still spend up to 5 hours on aircraft without PTVs on routes like DTW-SFO (a 320 favorite), DTW-MTY, etc. while some 7-year-old kid gets to watch Honey Boo Boo on his flight from ATL-MCO.

In an age in which nearly everybody has a smartphone, tablet or laptop, IFE is not nearly as important as it was even in 1995, and consumer surveys reflect it. When I flew on the inaugural revenue flight of a 739 from DTW-LAX last month, the FA warned us that the IFE was initially shaky and they'd be spending time accustoming people to it. Instead, more people wanted to know how to turn it off so they could better view their own devices.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Bagels

In an age in which nearly everybody has a smartphone, tablet or laptop, IFE is not nearly as important as it was even in 1995, and consumer surveys reflect it. When I flew on the inaugural revenue flight of a 739 from DTW-LAX last month, the FA warned us that the IFE was initially shaky and they'd be spending time accustoming people to it. Instead, more people wanted to know how to turn it off so they could better view their own devices.
My experience has always been the opposite; more people use the IFE system than their own devices, since it is much more convenient and doesn't intrude on personal space. I have yet to see a single passenger using the Gogo Vision streaming video service.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Delta 764
My experience has always been the opposite; more people use the IFE system than their own devices, since it is much more convenient and doesn't intrude on personal space. I have yet to see a single passenger using the Gogo Vision streaming video service.
No offense, but you fly once or twice per year and not on an airline with streaming video. Some of us fly once or twice per week... and many others a even more.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:16 pm

No offense, but you fly once or twice per year and not on an airline with streaming video. Some of us fly once or twice per week... and many others a even more.
DL DOES have streaming video onboard most of its domestic aircraft in addition to IFE, and trust me, I have flown on these aircraft and have yet to see even one passenger using it, even on non-AVOD aircraft. Consider the fact that Gogo is losing money proves that it would be a risky investment for DL to ditch IFE and offer Gogo Vision streaming video exclusively.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
UA is not removing IFE from its Airbus fleet -- instead, it's merely transitioning from the archaic drop-down video screens to on demand, streaming IFE passengers may watch on their own devices. I consider this to be an improvement -- the current IFE is boring and sometimes frightening; I traveled between DTW/ORD nearly every weekday summer 2008 and saw the same episodes of Ugly Betty nearly 50 times each. Still gives me nightmares. The new IFE will be similar to DL's, just not as convenient. I don't agree with the decision not to include in-seat power, however.

I question DL's decision to expand PTVs, given that it will still not lead to a consistent product; I will still spend up to 5 hours on aircraft without PTVs on routes like DTW-SFO (a 320 favorite), DTW-MTY, etc. while some 7-year-old kid gets to watch Honey Boo Boo on his flight from ATL-MCO.

Oh if it were only true that ATL-MCO got the cool planes with the AVOD.....

Sadly we are home of the 753's. While not horrible, these relics from NW past are not the most exciting of planes when it comes to new bells and whistles
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
I'm glad to hear of the upgrades, but, I'm betting the LAS routes that fly the old ratty 757s we get now on many flights will continue to do so . Nothing like being considered a "leisure destination".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.