Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta invests in 225 narrowbody aircraft

Delta invests in 225 narrowbody aircraft

Old Jan 8, 14, 8:08 am
  #1  
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Programs: SkyMiles
Posts: 351
Delta invests in 225 narrowbody aircraft

Some of you may have already seen this (we know you are quick to post), but for those of you who haven’t, we wanted you to know about today’s announcement of the next wave of investments in our aircraft. And since many here are domestic flyers, we know that this will be a topic of discussion for many of you. The mod cycles will be starting this quarter and vary by aircraft type, but we should be through the full cycle by the end of 2016.

You can read the full details in our news release, but here is the summary by aircraft type:

757-200 aircraft improvements
Delta’s modifications to 56 of its 757-200 aircraft will include installing in-seat video, satellite TV and access to power for every passenger, along with new galleys, updated LED cabin lighting, new lavatory designs as well as larger capacity overhead bins. Delta will be the first carrier in North America to install the new bin system which will increase passenger carry-on baggage capacity by more than 50 percent.

The 49 modified domestic aircraft will feature a layout of 20 First Class seats, 29 Economy Comfort seats and 150 Economy seats. The remaining seven 757-200 international aircraft will have a configuration of 18 First Class seats, 28 Economy Comfort seats and 151 Economy seats.

737-800 aircraft improvements
The investment in 43 of Delta’s 737-800 aircraft will include the addition of in-seat video with satellite TV, new LED cabin lighting and updated lavatories. The aircraft will be configured with 16 First Class seats, 18 Economy Comfort seats and 126 Economy seats.

When the modifications are complete, Delta’s entire fleet of 73 737-800 aircraft will have in-seat video with access to satellite TV and in-seat power throughout the aircraft.

A319 and A320 aircraft improvements
Delta’s 57 A319 and 69 A320 aircraft will receive complete interior updates including new seats in both First Class and Economy cabins with in-seat power throughout the aircraft. The aircraft will also receive new space-saving galleys, new lavatories, new larger-capacity overhead bins with an average increase of 60 percent more carry-on baggage space, updated LED lighting systems and new cabin interiors. Updates to the A319 fleet will also include the installation of in-seat video with satellite TV.

The A319 will include 12 seats in First Class and the A320 will have 16 First Class seats. All Economy seats on both aircraft types will feature wider seats with an increase from the current 17.2 inches to 18 inches for each seat. Both fleets will have 18 Economy Comfort seats with 34 inches of pitch. Economy seats will each have 31 inches of pitch on both aircraft with 102 seats on the A319 and 126 seats on the A320.
DLCorpTeam is offline  
Old Jan 8, 14, 8:13 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MCO
Programs: Delta DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 535
Originally Posted by DLCorpGuy View Post
Some of you may have already seen this (we know you are quick to post), but for those of you who haven’t, we wanted you to know about today’s announcement of the next wave of investments in our aircraft. And since many here are domestic flyers, we know that this will be a topic of discussion for many of you. The mod cycles will be starting this quarter and vary by aircraft type, but we should be through the full cycle by the end of 2016.

You can read the full details in our news release, but here is the summary by aircraft type:

757-200 aircraft improvements
Delta’s modifications to 56 of its 757-200 aircraft will include installing in-seat video, satellite TV and access to power for every passenger, along with new galleys, updated LED cabin lighting, new lavatory designs as well as larger capacity overhead bins. Delta will be the first carrier in North America to install the new bin system which will increase passenger carry-on baggage capacity by more than 50 percent.

The 49 modified domestic aircraft will feature a layout of 20 First Class seats, 29 Economy Comfort seats and 150 Economy seats. The remaining seven 757-200 international aircraft will have a configuration of 18 First Class seats, 28 Economy Comfort seats and 151 Economy seats.

737-800 aircraft improvements
The investment in 43 of Delta’s 737-800 aircraft will include the addition of in-seat video with satellite TV, new LED cabin lighting and updated lavatories. The aircraft will be configured with 16 First Class seats, 18 Economy Comfort seats and 126 Economy seats.

When the modifications are complete, Delta’s entire fleet of 73 737-800 aircraft will have in-seat video with access to satellite TV and in-seat power throughout the aircraft.

A319 and A320 aircraft improvements
Delta’s 57 A319 and 69 A320 aircraft will receive complete interior updates including new seats in both First Class and Economy cabins with in-seat power throughout the aircraft. The aircraft will also receive new space-saving galleys, new lavatories, new larger-capacity overhead bins with an average increase of 60 percent more carry-on baggage space, updated LED lighting systems and new cabin interiors. Updates to the A319 fleet will also include the installation of in-seat video with satellite TV.

The A319 will include 12 seats in First Class and the A320 will have 16 First Class seats. All Economy seats on both aircraft types will feature wider seats with an increase from the current 17.2 inches to 18 inches for each seat. Both fleets will have 18 Economy Comfort seats with 34 inches of pitch. Economy seats will each have 31 inches of pitch on both aircraft with 102 seats on the A319 and 126 seats on the A320.
Thanks for the update...was just reading the press release. Two questions:

1) With only 49 domestic 757's getting the update, what happens to the rest? Will they be leaving due to the 737-900's?
2) Why are the A319's getting the in-seat video but not the A320? Seems strange since the A320 are on a number of the longer flights.
Thanks!
spudley007 is offline  
Old Jan 8, 14, 8:20 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 90,492
Thanks. It's good news that the A320 will go back to 16 FC.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jan 8, 14, 8:23 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: MCO
Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Posts: 8,690
Thanks for the update...

20 F on a 752 is a , but gaining AVOD on the others is a ^.

I am also happy to see 16F returning to A320.
Crazyhotelguy is offline  
Old Jan 8, 14, 8:24 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Posts: 2,416
Glad to hear this, especially the larger OHB capacity in the 757s and the general updates to the Airbus interiors. In-seat power will be great, too! I just hope the new IFE on the A319s is NOT touch-screen -- nothing is more annoying than having someone constantly poking the back of your seat...
KevinDTW is offline  
Old Jan 8, 14, 8:24 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,233
Good news, especially on the 738s and 757s. One question. Will these 56 757s plus the handful being equipped with flatbeds be the only 757s remaining in the Delta fleet?
jrkmsp is offline  
Old Jan 8, 14, 8:28 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Anywhere but home
Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA PP, DL SM/MM, HH Dia, All Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold
Posts: 4,295
Great to hear about these upgrades. Thanks for sharing. Can you share what the seat pitches will be in first? Since some first seats on the 757s will be removed, will seat pitch increase, or will the space being freed be used for E or EC seats?
FlytheTail is offline  
Old Jan 8, 14, 8:57 am
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SEA
Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Posts: 9,779
Thanks for the updates. Some of these are bit wait and see (e.g. will the seats chosen be comfortable), but good to see the commitment toward trying to improve the customer experience.
pbarnette is offline  
Old Jan 8, 14, 9:18 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CONUS
Programs: DL Diamond; UA 1K; AS 75K
Posts: 945
Originally Posted by spudley007 View Post
Thanks for the update...was just reading the press release. Two questions:

1) With only 49 domestic 757's getting the update, what happens to the rest? Will they be leaving due to the 737-900's?
2) Why are the A319's getting the in-seat video but not the A320? Seems strange since the A320 are on a number of the longer flights.
Thanks!
The remaining 757's are being retired. These a/c include the 5500 series ex-NWA and most of the PMDL a/c up to ship 685.

The 320 fleet is older on average. In fact it's been expected the fleet up to ship 3250 would not be renovated due to age. Airbus must've come up with a life cycle extension that DL was seeking.

There is also the possibility of the lower rated CFM-5A1 engines on much of the 320's & performance shortfalls with the increased seat count & the weight of a AVOD system.
n7371f is offline  
Old Jan 8, 14, 9:31 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: JFK/LGA
Posts: 1,373
Originally Posted by spudley007 View Post
Thanks for the update...was just reading the press release. Two questions:

1) With only 49 domestic 757's getting the update, what happens to the rest? Will they be leaving due to the 737-900's?
2) Why are the A319's getting the in-seat video but not the A320? Seems strange since the A320 are on a number of the longer flights.
Thanks!
Maybe with the updated 737-800's Delta is trying to use the 737/A319 for longer flights that do not necessarily require the size/performance of a 757 while the 717/A320/M88/M90 will operate the shorter haul domestic flights
nystateofmind is offline  
Old Jan 8, 14, 9:38 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 2,873
I hope new bathrooms doesn't mean we will be getting the sardine cans featured in the new 737-9010s...
roknroll is offline  
Old Jan 8, 14, 9:40 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Kansas City, MO, USA
Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat, National ECE, Hertz PC
Posts: 15,390
Losing 2-6 FC seats on the 56 757's but gaining 4 FC seats on the 69 A320's, looks like about a wash on average, though of course it depends on which aircraft any particular Medallion is more likely to see ... Addition of AVOD to three of the four is a big plus though!
Beckles is offline  
Old Jan 8, 14, 9:52 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23
When will first A319's be opertational after the improvements? I will be flying on one in the middle of May out to LGA to PBI and I could not find the inbound flight
jdhall1 is offline  
Old Jan 8, 14, 9:53 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MCO
Programs: Delta DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 535
Originally Posted by n7371f View Post
The remaining 757's are being retired. These a/c include the 5500 series ex-NWA and most of the PMDL a/c up to ship 685.

The 320 fleet is older on average. In fact it's been expected the fleet up to ship 3250 would not be renovated due to age. Airbus must've come up with a life cycle extension that DL was seeking.

There is also the possibility of the lower rated CFM-5A1 engines on much of the 320's & performance shortfalls with the increased seat count & the weight of a AVOD system.
Thanks, that makes sense.
spudley007 is offline  
Old Jan 8, 14, 9:54 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MCO
Programs: Delta DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 535
Originally Posted by Beckles View Post
Losing 2-6 FC seats on the 56 757's but gaining 4 FC seats on the 69 A320's, looks like about a wash on average, though of course it depends on which aircraft any particular Medallion is more likely to see ... Addition of AVOD to three of the four is a big plus though!
Yes, and puts the 757's and A320's at right around 10% FC, which seems to be the number DL is looking for.
spudley007 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: