Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flight attendants wearing pins with a "Flight attendants wearing pins with a "D"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight attendants wearing pins with a "Flight attendants wearing pins with a "D"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:58 am

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
One of my NYC based FAs was wearing this pin on my recent flight. I complimented her on the look of the pin and she said it was designed after a DC8 by one of the FAs and is a symbol of wanting to keep the Delta culture and not let anything bad happen to it. It is definitely a pretty cool looking pin.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
It's not generalization. That's the way it is in the government (I work for Uncle Sam). Being involved in criminal activity is a different story but it's near impossible to get people fired for poor performance. They likely won't get promoted, because promotion is usually competitive, and may get continually shifted from one organization to another (maybe to a job that makes them so mad they quit), but getting fired for poor performance? It doesn't happen.
I am aware of several federal government employees being "let go" for performance issues.

Last edited by tom_MN; Jan 11, 2014 at 8:38 am
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by LGANightOwl
As a person familiar with government employee unions... I would surmise that it's the management of the union that counts, and WN has a good Union.

There are pros and cons to any union. But government employee unions have evolved into a state where only the dues count and a having a job is more important than DOING the job. ....

As an example, try firing a government worker who is in a Union for incompetence and don't be surprised when he/she is back at work being MORE incompetent.
A note of clarification: don't lump federal workers with state or local ones. Federal employees are prohibited from striking or collective bargaining. Many join unions anyway (even though federal employee unions have no teeth) but most federal employees are not wage grade workers, i.e. they are salaried professionals not suited to unions anyway. I would guess 3/4 of federal employees who are in unions work for the postal service.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
How many hours do they typically work?
Depends on how you define "work".

A traditional full-time worker works 173-1/3 hours per month (2080/12). If they have an unpaid 1-hour lunch break each day they're "at work" about 195 hours per month.

A flight crewmember is "at work" (car in the airport's employee parking lot) about 380 to 400 hours per month. They are on-duty (at the airport in uniform) around 160-180 hours per month. They on a moving airplane 75 to 90 hours per month. They are only paid their hourly rate for those 75-90 hours.

None of this includes commuting. If they commute you can add another 40+ hours per month away from home.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Starwood Gold, JetBlue, Marriott Silver, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by NWAFA
I don't understand your point.

DL FAs are below average of the airlines. Southwest union FAs make $64.73 per hour, have a better benefit package and do a simple service.
You sure about this? That's $130k for a 40 hour work week.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Krankenfaren
That's $130k for a 40 hour work week.
Crews do no work "40 hour work weeks".

Originally Posted by LarryJ
They are on-duty (at the airport in uniform) around 160-180 hours per month. They on a moving airplane 75 to 90 hours per month. They are only paid their hourly rate for those 75-90 hours.
Which generally is when duty duty rigs come into play.

Originally Posted by LarryJ
None of this includes commuting. If they commute you can add another 40+ hours per month away from home.
Commuting is a lifestyle choice.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by N965VJ

I see it as a benefit as well.
It's pretty nice to live in NYC and have home base in SFO, and not have to pay to get to work.

How many of us get to choose where to live and have our employer pay for the commuting costs?? Most of us have to pull up stakes.

Not saying it's a viable choice for every FA, but at least there's a choice.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Which is why the numbers I posted EXCLUDED commuting. If I didn't note that I excluded commuting someone would have immediately assumed that it did.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by relberger
I see it as a benefit as well.
It's pretty nice to live in NYC and have home base in SFO, and not have to pay to get to work.
May be nice, but there's always the agita of wondering whether a seat will be available, or the cost of actually paying for that seat to ensure getting to work on time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.