Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flight attendants wearing pins with a "Flight attendants wearing pins with a "D"

Flight attendants wearing pins with a "Flight attendants wearing pins with a "D"

Old Dec 27, 13, 9:29 pm
BFG
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum

Has anyone noticed the pins the Delta flight attendants have been wearing this week? It's a "D" with a wing attached that was inspired by a logo used in the 40s-50s. The pin was designed by and is being distributed by a group of employees who would like to remain union free (there has been a card drive going in for a year and a half). .If you support the FAs in remaining .union free maybe give them a thumbs up when you see the pin?.

p.s. this is an employee driven grass routes campaign. The pins are not sponsored by Delta Air Lines..

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/a...42881026_n.jpg
Old Dec 27, 13, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
May I help you a little?

Old Dec 27, 13, 10:02 pm
BFG
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum
Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 13, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
I'll be looking for these!!
Old Dec 27, 13, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL GM SkyClub; Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HILTON DIAMOND
Why does it matter to you if the person giving you a coke is union or not? I personally couldn't care either way.
Old Dec 27, 13, 11:07 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Why does it matter to you if the person giving you a coke is union or not? I personally couldn't care either way.
It should be up to the employee if he/she WANTS to be a member of a union or not, rather than being forced into dues-paying union membership in order to work.

I could say more, but will assuredly be attacked even with this.
Old Dec 28, 13, 2:32 am

During the integration process with NWA I remember seeing many FAs wearing "AFA" (i.e. I would like a union) pins, and before that the "Keep Delta My Delta" pins. So, it doesn't seem all that unusual for employees to add one pin to their uniform to express a preference. (I don't remember ever seeing more than one at a time, however.)

I late August and in September of this year (2013) I remember seeing seeing several FA's with pins from their favorite SEC school/football team. It resulted in a slightly modified beverage service. For example:
FA: What can I get you?
passenger: A ginger ale and a Roll Tide.
or
FA: What can I get you?
passenger: A Coke and a War Eagle.
etc.

These were all flights into or out of ATL, so perhaps they were mostly ATL based crews and thus the preference for the South Eastern Conference (SEC).

I have also seen pins with a military theme (e.g. a USAF logo pin), holiday pins (a Christmas tree), etc.

I doubt I would have been able to figure out the flying D pin meant something like "I'm happy without a union" without this tread, however, so thanks for the raw info.
Old Dec 28, 13, 4:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
May I help you a little?

Cool. It reminds me of statues of Mercury the Winged God. Very appropriate for aviation.
Old Dec 28, 13, 4:58 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

If you want Union - go to UA.

Look how things are going on "the friendly sky's".
Old Dec 28, 13, 5:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I would rather they do a professional job instead of displaying personal statements when working.....
Old Dec 28, 13, 5:45 am

Programs: HH Diamond, DL plat, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, National Executive
I've had many friendly conversations with FA's about unions and how to say no over the last year. I am in Labor (on the corp side) and happy to talk when asked how to ensure a union drive fails.
Old Dec 28, 13, 7:00 am

Is there any way to buy one ? I collect pins.
Old Dec 28, 13, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by nyctoatl View Post
I've had many friendly conversations with FA's about unions and how to say no over the last year. I am in Labor (on the corp side) and happy to talk when asked how to ensure a union drive fails.
Unionbusting is illegal. It's their choice whether to join a union or not.
Old Dec 28, 13, 7:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond, DL plat, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by HongKonger View Post
Unionbusting is illegal. It's their choice whether to join a union or not.
All I am doing, which is perfectly legal, is answering their questions so they can make an educated decision on their own.
Old Dec 28, 13, 8:09 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Unions are sorta like bullet proof vest. Don't need one until you get shot!

Of course, stockholders & white shirts will always prefer the "company store" and their view of capitalism in lieu of a "united" workforce.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: