Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2013, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Gold, DL Silver, Avis First, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
Gate question

is there a way to tell what Gate you are going to come into? Example - once checked in online it will say what gate you are going out of from your first flight and the gate of your connection, but not what you're coming into.

I have a 41 minute connection at LGA tomorrow and I don't go through there often, so I'm trying to get my bearings early.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 6:56 am

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
Originally Posted by irockfm2
is there a way to tell what Gate you are going to come into? Example - once checked in online it will say what gate you are going out of from your first flight and the gate of your connection, but not what you're coming into.

I have a 41 minute connection at LGA tomorrow and I don't go through there often, so I'm trying to get my bearings early.
It's not infallible -- especially in ATL -- but you can check the delta app or delta.com while in-flight to determine your arrival gate. Accessing either of those from the in-flight wifi is free.

I forget which screen the information is on, but if your arrival gate is known, it will show up. Maybe the "flight status" screens?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's helpful for planning, but remember that gate assignments are routinely changed to acommodate early/late arrivals. Most commonly, if your flight is arriving a bit early and the aircraft on your assigned gate is delayed a bit, you will either wait for your gate to open or be assigned to a new gate.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)

LGA is relatively easy, compared to say ATL or MSP and you should have plenty of time.

You can use flight status to look up where your flight is likely to come into, which one the second flight is likely to go out of, and you can also look up an airport map.

Bob H
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec

The Delta app will tell you, though as others have noted it can change so I always make a final check after we land. Flight Tracker and other apps/websites will also have this info and often update before the app does.

When I have a tight connection I'll check the arrival gate from my current flight and the departure gate for my next flight as soon as we land so I know whether or not I need to plan on running through the terminal.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Gold, DL Silver, Avis First, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
Great - thank you
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
The site http://flightaware.com/ is often more reliable for gate information than the DL site. FlightAware has accurate information when the DL site isn't showing an arrival gate or hasn't been updated to show a gate change.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I use both flightaware and DL "flight status" on either delta.dumb or the app.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:31 am

I wish Delta.com would start giving gate information sooner (even now until like T-2 hours it just shows the Terminal not the specific gate). That is why I use flightaware.com which is useful as long as you are not flying Pinnacle/Endeavor or GoJet. Delta/Compass/Shuttle America/Chatauqua all seem to be good about getting gate info on flightaware (SkyWest is also good but they do not fly to LGA). As long as you are not dealing with a flight involving gate D3 or connecting to/from the Marine Air Terminal (except if you are going ORD-LGA-DCA/BOS or vice versa) you should be fine
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles FO
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The site http://flightaware.com/ is often more reliable for gate information than the DL site. FlightAware has accurate information when the DL site isn't showing an arrival gate or hasn't been updated to show a gate change.
Flightaware is not free while in flight, though.

On the ground, I use a combination of the DL tools, flightaware.com, and flightstats.com for info on upcoming flights.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Rocco7799
Flightaware is not free while in flight, though.

On the ground, I use a combination of the DL tools, flightaware.com, and flightstats.com for info on upcoming flights.
I forget that the Internet connection costs money and that not everyone pays for it.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
What is flightaware's source that's so much more accurate than the airline? The person sitting next to me whose job sometimes includes making & posting gate changes would love to know.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by PRWeezer
What is flightaware's source that's so much more accurate than the airline? The person sitting next to me whose job sometimes includes making & posting gate changes would love to know.
Maybe they've implanted something into his head so they know as soon as he knows?

While I don't know their source, I do know there have been many, many times that DL is not showing the terminal but FlightAware is, or when I've been sitting at the gate and know about a gate change long before it's posted at the gate.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Flightaware often shows delays before DL posts them.

You can also easily track the inbound aircraft and make your own assessments.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Maybe they've implanted something into his head so they know as soon as he knows?

While I don't know their source, I do know there have been many, many times that DL is not showing the terminal but FlightAware is, or when I've been sitting at the gate and know about a gate change long before it's posted at the gate.
It's supposed to happen that changes post in real time once made by operations, sometimes time isn't so real I guess?

If flight aware is making assumptions on delays based on live flight tracking or departure delays for an in-bound aircraft, that's one thing. If they are accurately predicting gate changes then I suppose the brain implant theory is worth pursuing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.