Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Broken Record: Boarding Zones - Delta Policy Not to Enforce

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Broken Record: Boarding Zones - Delta Policy Not to Enforce

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by flyingweekly
As a DIA and usually sitting up front 95% of the time, I'm tired of fighting my way past the gate lice to board.
I agree that boarding continues to be a major issue for Delta but in my experience many GAs in many locations are doing a nice job of this and are sending people back if they get to the podium with a zone 3 BP during F boarding.

You sir, however, may have posted this in the wrong thread...the DYKWIA thread is elsewhere...
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: DL DM
I agree with the OP. The problem is not the zone 3 people, it is the Sky and Zone 1 boarding when they shouldn't
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I agree with the OP. The problem is not the zone 3 people, it is the Sky and Zone 1 boarding when they shouldn't
WTBWFBF = want to board with first, buy first
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
WTBWFBF = want to board with first, buy first
I think the OP's point though is that even when boarding with first, you have to navigate the mass of humanity that immediately crowds the gate area with zone 3 BPs. Buying first has little to do with people not following directions (I know with as much as you travel MSP, I'm preaching to the choir, you already know this!). I get his message, I just didn't appreciate the DYKWIA tone with which he argued his case.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jsmith50
I think the OP's point though is that even when boarding with first, you have to navigate the mass of humanity that immediately crowds the gate area with zone 3 BPs. Buying first has little to do with people not following directions (I know with as much as you travel MSP, I'm preaching to the choir, you already know this!). I get his message, I just didn't appreciate the DYKWIA tone with which he argued his case.
Agree. The tone and bubbashow's appearance here just provided a tempting opportunity to play with the WFBF mantra. I'm sure they would agree with the sentiment that anyone who wants to board with PREM should buy a premium ticket.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by sethb
I think Sky and Zone 1 should not use the Sky Priority lane; because they do, when Zone 1 is boarding and an F pax shows up, there's no priority access. By limiting the "bypass lane" to F (who go first anyway), or anyone from an earlier priority group than the one currently boarding, proper priority would be maintained.

This could also help keep the gate lice away from that lane.
I don't understand why Sky Priority customers shouldn't use the Sky Priority lane. That seems to defeat the point of having such a lane. Maybe they could make an exception for F pax who arrive during Sky boarding to use the general lane as a bypass lane.

I do agree about not allowing the whole of Zone 1 to board through the Sky Priority lane. Since F+Sky+Zone 1 is often more than half the plane this really dilutes the advantage of the lane for late arriving F/Sky passengers. What I'd really like to see is that Zone 1 boards through the regular lane with the exception of FOs who may use the Sky Priority lane once Zone 1 is called. This would put FOs behind Sky zone but still allow them to bypass the credit card holders.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by mattp1987
I don't understand why Sky Priority customers shouldn't use the Sky Priority lane. That seems to defeat the point of having such a lane. Maybe they could make an exception for F pax who arrive during Sky boarding to use the general lane as a bypass lane.

I do agree about not allowing the whole of Zone 1 to board through the Sky Priority lane. Since F+Sky+Zone 1 is often more than half the plane this really dilutes the advantage of the lane for late arriving F/Sky passengers. What I'd really like to see is that Zone 1 boards through the regular lane with the exception of FOs who may use the Sky Priority lane once Zone 1 is called. This would put FOs behind Sky zone but still allow them to bypass the credit card holders.
Interesting idea, but it defeats the attempt of DL and AmEx to make DL AmEx cardholders to feel important and special. It also shoves partner elites away from the prestige of walking over the SkyPriority carpet.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by mbwmbw
but the Kettle kept coming.
Sounds more like Cattle, instead of Kettle.

I almost always have to check my bags because I take tools and instruments that can't go through security. I only have my backpack that fits under the seat and no need for overhead space. Anymore, these days, I try to wait to be the last one onboard. It really saves on the frustration and keeps the blood pressure low.

I love watching gate lice, I hope they never change.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by suvayanr
honestly not a terrible idea. Just have a turnstile where you must scan your BP to board. GA controls which zones can board, and assigns special priority to pre-boards. GA calls zones, and anyone who is ineligible to board simply gets rejected at the turnstile
I'd actually love the turnstile to just be a swinging gate. Scan your BP during your correct zone and it swings open to allow you into the jetway. Scan your BP before your assigned zone, and it swings the other way to dump you into a chute that sends you back landside.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mattp1987
A bypass lane is really not necessary. Spending too long in the SC, have been in this situation from time to time. My bad, not anyone else's.

Really never thought it was a big deal to just enter the SP line at the end. Yes, o/h space is important. Maybe not available right above my seat but there is always something available in F except maybe at the very end.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Flight 2240 SFO-JFK last night, the GA was telling people to go away when they tried to board early. ("We're only boarding First Class now." Business, actually, but who cares? They weren't even Sky, must have been Amex holders.)

I boarded about sixth in Sky and the overheads (I was in the front exit row) in my area were already full (from others sitting nearby). Fortunately, the Kryptonium card gave me the ability to use the available bin space in J.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DIA, HHonors DIA, Marriott PlA
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Did you say anything to GA ? Saying it here does very little.
I say something almost every time. Today I reminded the GA that they couple they let in front of me board was zone 1, not FC as she called. I said you need to enforce boarding rules. She just shrugged.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DIA, HHonors DIA, Marriott PlA
I liked the experiement they had at ATL, where they had signs for the zones! What ever happened to that?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
I know the Agents primary responsibility is to have the flight push back on time; however, is there anything Delta can do to to better enforce these boarding zones in the future? Why advertise these medallion programs when any Kettle can walk up and board with First Class as long as he/she is carrying their American Express card? I asked the agents when boarding why they don't enforce the zones (preferably putting those who do not listen in time out), and they told them it is Delta's policy not to enforce Boarding Zones on Domestic Flights.
Perhaps some day in the future, you will become a dreaded kettle and you will be actually flying to get somewhere, and not just flying around to earn miles and status.
Even worse, you may be a kettle of limited means and trying to carry on your luggage because you actually need to save money.

Yeah I know, you are young and affluent, but maybe there is a Bernie Madoff in your future. You never know.

Anyway, kettle is a somewhat offensive term and the ordinary traveler is far more tolerable than the DYKWIA types. It wouldn't hurt for some on this board to practice some patience and understanding.

Bottom line, the GAs told you that it's Delta policy. So if you have a beef with that, take it up with Virginia Avenue.

David

Last edited by DiverDave; Dec 17, 2013 at 1:15 pm
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:46 am

I have to admit, this thread is pretty pedantic. I always abide by the zone restrictions, and try to keep my seat until called, but it is frustrating when I carry a reasonable carry-on (normally a back pack) and have to store it below because every one else feels the need to save a little money and carry on an oversized bag. It does pay to be at the front of the line, which is why it makes sense the 'lice' line up. I suspect most of those 'lice' don't have sales jobs that forces them to travel all the time to get status.

I guess I need to come up with a derogatory name for all the commercial passengers with status that are sitting behind me in a jet behind me when I'm flying my personal aircraft to the vacation destination of my choice, since apparently getting a crappy status allows such a silly display of entitlement and superiority.

This board is almost intolerable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.