Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Broken Record: Boarding Zones - Delta Policy Not to Enforce

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Broken Record: Boarding Zones - Delta Policy Not to Enforce

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Easy solution to all of this. Put locks on F cabin OHBs. Keep them locked until F is boarding. Board F last. Aside from OHB space there is no reason to want to board early. Its not like a potential PDB is worth sitting being bumped into by Y pax for 20 minutes anyhow.
...That means keeping flight crew bags out of F as well.........
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Leezell
I loved the GA in ATL earlier this year who had an excellent solution to the issue. Before boarding started on this flight to LAX, he announced the different zones and when they boarded. He then announced that anyone who tried to board BEFORE their zone was called would not be allowed to board until after ALL other zones has boarded. Smoothest boarding of a 767 I've seen in years....
I love that idea. I've suggested they re-instate Zone 4 for people who try to board before their zone is called.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Easy solution to all of this. Put locks on F cabin OHBs. Keep them locked until F is boarding. Board F last. Aside from OHB space there is no reason to want to board early. Its not like a potential PDB is worth sitting being bumped into by Y pax for 20 minutes anyhow.
Better yet, let bin squatters use the FC bins and then before FC boards, tag all those bags to someplace exotic like SVO, IST, BKK, etc. It could become a fun game to decide where to send the bags, of course with the applicable fee in both directions so that DL could make money on the process too.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Tom Williams
As long as Delta continues to sell "Zone 1" which is in reality Zone 4 (after pre boards, PREM and Sky) boarding will be a mess.I view this practice as an unethical scam. They should be ashamed of it.
Originally Posted by motytrah
Because the slogan "Board in the 3rd wave of passengers" doesn't move Amex cards.
You just named that tune in 1.

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
+1, +1
So the zones are named A, B, 1, 2, 3.
Police carryons and zone jumping.
Problem solved.
Next!
I love it.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Better yet, let bin squatters use the FC bins and then before FC boards, tag all those bags to FINAL DESTINATION someplace exotic like SVO, IST, BKK, etc. (I would not do this as it is saying two wrongs make a right -and yes I know you said it tongue-in-cheek.) It could become a fun game to decide where to send the bags, of course with the applicable fee in both directions so that DL could make money on the process too.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I know my suggestion isn't going to happen, but it's fun to fantasize how to punish those who refuse to follow the rules.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I know my suggestion isn't going to happen, but it's fun to fantasize how to punish those who refuse to follow the rules.
Oh trust me -I here you and agree

Slightly OT I will see how the rules are followed shortly. Just about to leave for the airport. Doing MCI-SLC-LGB. Then tomorrow LGB-SLC-LAX-MCI. I just love flying- don't need the miles -at 185K MQM.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Oh trust me -I here you and agree

Slightly OT I will see how the rules are followed shortly. Just about to leave for the airport. Doing MCI-SLC-LGB. Then tomorrow LGB-SLC-LAX-MCI. I just love flying- don't need the miles -at 185K MQM.
LGB is a fun destination at this time of year from MCI.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
I think the bigger issue is everyone thinks the rules do not apply to them. We need to penalize the Kettle who abuse the perks.
The kettles my misunderstand the perks ("When I got this here AMEX card they says I could board first...") but, in my experience, it is the more frequent traveler that abuses the perks (think DYKWIA).
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:15 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mbwmbw

I think the bigger issue is everyone thinks the rules do not apply to them. We need to penalize the Kettle who abuse the perks.
If penalization is needed, then we need it for everyone, from Kettle to DM. There was a DM on my last CDG-JFK flight who cut the line in front of 10+ BE passengers.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: SQ
Situations like this are why UA clearly says 'card holders will board with zone 2' when they announce the boarding process. As bad as UA's F product is, they do tend to have less gate lice and kettles cheating the system.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Originally Posted by B7e7US
If penalization is needed, then we need it for everyone, from Kettle to DM. There was a DM on my last CDG-JFK flight who cut the line in front of 10+ BE passengers.
When they called my flight last week LAX to DTW It was so difficult for me to get "near" the front of the line when they call First Class. A large group of people who were camped out. Finally worked my way up front and a guy pushes in front of me. I see the 21F on his BP and his DM tag on his bag. I said to him "it seems you need to get in front of me are you in F" He says yes.

I'm thinking okay maybe he has an upgrade and the new seat assignment will print when they scan his ticket. He pushes past two other pax to get his ticket scanned but I couldn't see. " Proclaiming I'm a Diamond excuse me" When we all get to the door of the plane he turns right we all turn left.

I asked him why did you say you were in F? He responds even though I wasn't upgraded I still deserve to board with F...

The jerk in me wanted to say "enjoy your peanuts and pretzels, but I just shook my head, smiled and headed up front
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
...That means keeping flight crew bags out of F as well.........
Well hopefully the flight crew would have the keys to said locks, or there would be a problem.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by JimGinATL
However, I do agree that the real culprit here is the carry-on luggage issue. Fix that, and all the other problems go away.

-JimG
Originally Posted by keeton
The kettles my misunderstand the perks ("When I got this here AMEX card they says I could board first...") but, in my experience, it is the more frequent traveler that abuses the perks (think DYKWIA).
Fix the carryon/baggage fee issues, I agree. When I'm in F, I'm in no hurry to board, under most circumstance (unless it's like last Saturday at SLC boarding a 75X...through 1L...). I would rather spend more time in the SC or wherever, than on a parked plane. I left the SC to board the aforementioned 757, only to find the gate at the far end of D concourse to be PACKED. Everyone on that flight was standing and mulling about the gate area. Apparently when they announced preboards and F, everyone got up and began to crowd the area. I assumed I was late and zone Sky was boarding, because it looked like a disorganized queue. After waiting patiently at the back of the 170-ish passener throng, I heard the GA announce "Again, we are only boarding our First Class passengers." I then had to play frogger and elbow my way through people who gave me the stinkeye as I snaked through them and fought my way to the podium. And since we boarded through 1L, I had to watch everyone board, sluggishly, with a million pounds of carryon luggage, and as I turned around, I could see the nightmare in the back, as passengers on a full 757 struggled to find bin space.
Also, while infrequent fliers are often problems, I agree that FFers are bigger abusers. I can't think of a time I DIDN'T see at least one PM or DM standing right next to the BP scanner, rollaboard on one side, laptop bag on the shoulder, and phone/bluetooth pressed up against one ear. I find that, more often than not, the gate lice often have baggage tags of GM or higher. As an FO, I knew I would never be higher than zone 1, and I learned as a child how to wait patiently. I thought zone 1 was terrible (with all the cardholders), but zone Sky is often just as bad, especially with my O/D being SLC.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL PM; Bonvoy Ambassador
Smile

Originally Posted by mapsgl
When they called my flight last week LAX to DTW It was so difficult for me to get "near" the front of the line when they call First Class. A large group of people who were camped out. Finally worked my way up front and a guy pushes in front of me. I see the 21F on his BP and his DM tag on his bag. I said to him "it seems you need to get in front of me are you in F" He says yes.
Well, technically, he WAS in F-- 21F. :-)
Old Dec 14, 2013, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by brocklee9000
Apparently when they announced preboards and F, everyone got up and began to crowd the area. I assumed I was late and zone Sky was boarding, because it looked like a disorganized queue. After waiting patiently at the back of the 170-ish passener throng, I heard the GA announce "Again, we are only boarding our First Class passengers." I then had to play frogger and elbow my way through people who gave me the stinkeye as I snaked through them and fought my way to the podium.
Again, board F last, problem solved. No frogger, no stinkeye, nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.