Wiki Posts
Search

2014 SkyMiles Program Changes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
Thank you for the update.

I already selected the 6 SWUs for 2014. I would much prefer the 4 Globals. Is it possible to change my mind?
Right, when can a DM get the new UG's certificates. Trade in, reissue. Don't' understand.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM
But the real question is "even if you can use them for anything but E fares does there have to be avlbty of upgrades to get the upgrade?" or can you just buy a sLUT fare and get an auto upgrade?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I think the real question here is how many FFers who were flying JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA will now go through ATL, MSP, DTW, CVG? instead. That is the question Silvers & golds will be quite curious about. Yes, we rarely got the upgrades, but we DID get them from time to time.

To clarify, if someone buys a Y fare on these routes, are they no longer elibigle for any kind of upgrade besides using the global certificate?

Also…. Have they changed the Silver baggage allowance? I thought that Silvers w Skymiles AMex could get two free bags, this "new baggage fee" link doesn't seem to show that anywhere… though maybe I'm just not seeing it.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tml#guidelines
Originally Posted by DiverDave
It changed a couple of years ago, but the latest was that Silvers with Amex get two bags:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...edallions.html

David
Originally Posted by rwoman
That (de)enhancement occurred awhile ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...llions-mm.html
Until a few months ago, FO+AMEX granted 2 pieces of checked luggage within the US. This was on DL.com:

* Effective for tickets purchased on or after December 15, 2011 for travel on or after March 1, 2012, Silver Medallion, SkyTeam Elite, and Alaska Airlines MVP members may check one bag up to 70 lbs (32kg) at no charge on Delta- and Delta Connection-operated flights. Basic Reserve, Platinum or Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express may check a second bag for free on Delta and Delta Connection flights. Second bag fee waiver benefit is limited to Silver Medallion members who are Basic Cardmembers (not Additional Cardmembers) with the Gold, Platinum or Reserve Delta SkyMiles Credit Cards. First and second baggage fee waivers apply to up to nine people traveling in the eligible Silver Medallion member’s reservation.
Then, it was silently taken away.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
It will be really interesting to see how this plays out. Luckily I can play both sides in 2014, UA for intl, DL domestic

Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I've never selected SWU's as a choice benefit before because I knew there was no way I was ever going to buy a Y,B,M fare for an international vacation run. But, I might just do that. Can someone link or explain how these instruments work and how it's the same or different from the new GU's and RU's work? From what little I've read about SWU's, they seem to be nearly impossible to use.

Oh, and, thanks Delta. I plan on flying JFK-SEA-JFK for the first time ever the middle of next year. It still says upgrade requested but I'm sure that will go away soon. It's part of an itinerary to ANC and I never would have booked it if I knew I wasn't going to be eligible for the upgrade.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
2014 SkyMiles Program Changes

Since DM members can select two gifts, is it possible to select four global upgrades for each gift, resulting in a total of eight? Apologies if this was answered before or if I'm misunderstanding the program rules!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DwayneSkyMiles
As we come to the end of the calendar year, we’ll be sending out emails this week to tell you about some upcoming changes to the SkyMiles program – many of which will begin at the start of the new Medallion program year on March 1, 2014.

Changes to Systemwide Upgrades (SWUs):
We are always looking for opportunities to fine-tune the Medallion program and we’ve received a lot of valuable feedback about the SWUs component of our Medallion benefits.

On March 1, 2014, we’re replacing SWUs with two new certificate types: Global Upgrades and Regional Upgrades. Global Upgrades will be available on all routes and Regional Upgrades will be available on the same routes as Medallion Complimentary Upgrades, but have a higher priority.

Both Global and Regional Upgrades will be valid on Delta flights for all paid Economy class fares except for E, providing you even more options and convenience.

• Diamond Medallion members can choose either four Global Upgrades or eight Regional Upgrades as one of their Choice Benefits selections

• Platinum Medallion members can choose four Regional Upgrades

The current SWUs will still be available as Choice Benefits selections through February 28, 2014 and all the terms and conditions of the existing certificates continue to apply.

Added Choice Benefits:
There will also be two new Choice Benefits options available for selection beginning March 1, 2014:

• Global Entry application vouchers – Diamond Medallion members can select 2 and Platinum Medallion members can select one

• Tiffany & Co. Diamond Medallion premium luggage tags (2 for Diamond Medallions only)

Unlimited Complimentary Upgrades:

Starting with the new Medallion program year on March 1, 2014, Medallion members will enjoy Complimentary Upgrades on flights between Hawaii and Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, or Seattle. However, in light of significant investments in our coast-to-coast BusinessElite experience - including premium amenities like fully flat-bed seats, Westin Heavenly In-Flight Bedding, on-demand entertainment, and premium dining - we will no longer offer Medallion Complimentary Upgrades on flights between New York-JFK and Los Angeles, San Francisco, or Seattle beginning March 1, 2014.

More information about the program changes for the 2014 Medallion year are available on the SkyMiles News and Updates section of delta.com. We’ll be following your comments here and look forward to reading your feedback.
Is a 2013 program year earned SWU redeemed prior to MAR 1, 2014 equivalent to a GU redeemed on or after MAR 1, 2014?

Some of us still may have 2013 earned Choice Benefits in the bank along with our 2014 benefits so this makes a difference. I would like to redeem a 2013 Platinum CB for 4 SWUs that can be used on LAX-JFK transcons. I am and continue to be DM...What say you Dwyane?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I think I am screwed -- at least for another year.

I used my 2014 Choice Benefits to gift GM to She Who Must Be Obeyed. If I had use my 2013 ones it would have lasted only 3.5 months -- not worth it. My 2013 will expire 2/28/14 and it sounds like I can't choose the GMU's until a day later. Maybe they will make some exceptions

Or am I reading wrong -- will you be able to choose GMU's with 2014 benefits or do you have to wait until the 2015 Benefits? (which due to rollover some people will earn early in the year)

As for the transcons -- I am actually 100% between LAX and JFK, going back to PM at the merger. I am about 10 to 10 -- not so many flights as between LAX and ATL (where I am at about 66% for the year). JFK isn't a destination for me, but a connecting point. Just got off LAX-JFK for the first one on the 763 -- got the last upgrade.

Being LAX based the Hawaii upgrades interest me.

Probably means fewer OpUps as well as the seats will be taken by GMUs.

I also have 6 SWUs that will expire in Feb -- first time I haven't been able to use at least two. The stealth devaluation because of the new fare classes has made them useless -- usually cheaper to FCM (especially with PWM). Another choice I would like back

Even if they are only gate upgrades I like the idea of GMUs -- I understand not wanting to give BE away for free, then people may not paid, but to reward your top level flyers with the occasional upgrade makes sense. Especially as there are many who can't buy BE because of company rules. (not me -- I am just cheap )

Last edited by TheMadBrewer; Dec 10, 2013 at 3:31 pm
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
All in all, not bad. While there's no telling how easy it will be to book upgrades with the Global Certificate, I will start to inquire when making other bookings, just out of curiosity.

Hopefully this may change, but reading the T&C, I see: "Airport standby is not available on Air France or KLM operated flights as well as Delta operated flights originating from AMS, BOM and CDG."

At least for me, those AMS/CDG DL flights would be where I'd love to use the upgrades I accrue.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
New rules for swu

This is a big deal. I like it.

Mods merge if this is already started.

With the help of valuable feedback from members like you, we are pleased to introduce new and more convenient Upgrade Certificates for 2014.

Beginning March 1st, the current Systemwide Upgrades offered as one of your Choice Benefits selections will be replaced by Global and Regional Upgrades. As a Diamond Medallion® member, you may select:

• Four Global Upgrades (available on all routes)
Or
• Eight Regional Upgrades (available on the same routes as Medallion Complimentary Upgrades)

These new Upgrades will be valid on all paid Economy Class fares except for E, providing you even more options and convenience.

You will also be able to select from new Choice Benefits options beginning March 2014 — complimentary Global Entry for you and a guest or two Tiffany & Co. premium luggage tags.

We will continue to listen to your feedback and look for opportunities to fine-tune the Medallion program. For more details on these and other updates, please visit delta.com.

Congratulations on achieving Diamond Medallion status for 2014. We look forward to seeing you on board.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Good find. With the cuts in upgrade inventory this may make it nearly impossible on these routes

Originally Posted by CGNC
All in all, not bad. While there's no telling how easy it will be to book upgrades with the Global Certificate, I will start to inquire when making other bookings, just out of curiosity.

Hopefully this may change, but reading the T&C, I see: "Airport standby is not available on Air France or KLM operated flights as well as Delta operated flights originating from AMS, BOM and CDG."

At least for me, those AMS/CDG DL flights would be where I'd love to use the upgrades I accrue.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL 1MM/DM, SPG Platinum, Pete's Brass Rail & Car Wash Beer Club
Originally Posted by amolkold
Requiring global upgrades for JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA is dumb. It is not much better of a product than United PS (allows regional upgrades) or the new American Flagship (complimentary for EXPs) or even JetBlue MINT!

I understand not allowing complimentary, but at least allow regional upgrades on them.
I agree 1,000%. As a DM who flies this route every week on "S" fares, I will be looking at a status match to another airline for my travels. I purchase "S" fares on purpose, as my company will not allow J fares. I would be more accepting if the change put a stop to complementary upgrades on fares lower than "K".

I've been considering a switch to AA for a while now, and this might be my tipping point. I know its not ideal timing with the merger, but why stay loyal to an airline that will deny me any chance of an upgrade on my weekly route?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Hidden on the same page - 2016 Changes

Don't know if many caught this on the changes page.

Heads Up — 2016 Medallion Year Starts February 1, 2016
The Medallion year traditionally begins March 1 each year to allow time for Medallion membership packages to be delivered. With the streamlined production of membership packages and the availability of digital SkyMiles and Medallion cards in the Fly Delta app, we are able to begin the Medallion year earlier. Starting in 2016, the Medallion year will begin February 1 and subsequently, the 2015 Medallion year will end on January 31, 2016
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL Kryptonium & Diamond & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
New Global SWU's on all but E fares!

With the help of valuable feedback from members like you, we are pleased to introduce new and more convenient Upgrade Certificates for 2014.

Beginning March 1st, the current Systemwide Upgrades offered as one of your Choice Benefits selections will be replaced by Global and Regional Upgrades. As a Diamond Medallion® member, you may select:

• Four Global Upgrades (available on all routes)
Or
• Eight Regional Upgrades (available on the same routes as Medallion Complimentary Upgrades)

These new Upgrades will be valid on all paid Economy Class fares except for E, providing you even more options and convenience.

You will also be able to select from new Choice Benefits options beginning March 2014 — complimentary Global Entry for you and a guest or two Tiffany & Co. premium luggage tags.

We will continue to listen to your feedback and look for opportunities to fine-tune the Medallion program. For more details on these and other updates, please visit delta.com.

Congratulations on achieving Diamond Medallion status for 2014. We look forward to seeing you on board.

---------------------------------------
This is great news for SWU's that can actually be used - if there is availability!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Wait, so JFK transcons will not be a free medallion upgrade anymore? This change seemed extremely positive until I came to that piece of data.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.