Wiki Posts
Search

2014 SkyMiles Program Changes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
The Hawaii upgrades is a huge improvement for GM and FO's.
True. Didn't think about that one as I was writing. An improvement for all, including GMs and FOs there, especially since those flights are some of the longest domestic flights one can take on DL.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This thread is pretty good popcorn material... I find it interesting the excitement over DMs getting 4 upgrade certs that require opaque and hidden inventory that we know is very limited. Odds are most of these 'cheaper' fares will be going to the gate for the upgrade.

Also remember that is only 2 round trips worth of certs you can select. And PMs don't get any.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by yohanson
All fares except E are eligible.
Thanks - I thought that was on domestic only. I guess this could be good news if there is actually any inventory. I have serious doubts.

The loss of upgrades on TCON JFK routes is just overwhelming to me. I am at a loss why the hell an airline investing billions trying to attract flyers in the NYC area by building a new terminal at JFK and expanding LGA gates would decide this is a good time to take away upgrades on routes out of JFK to major left-coast cities. And as stated earlier, the policy flies in the face of and is completely inconsistent with the MQD policy since it allows global certs be used as a higher priority vs. higher fare coach tickets. Just plain dumb.

What is worse is that it is only four global certs and no chance to earn those certs as a PM progressing to DM status.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Originally Posted by rylan
This thread is pretty good popcorn material... I find it interesting the excitement over DMs getting 4 upgrade certs that require opaque and hidden inventory that we know is very limited. Odds are most of these 'cheaper' fares will be going to the gate for the upgrade.

Also remember that is only 2 round trips worth of certs you can select. And PMs don't get any.
Yeah, I am with you on that one too
Top put it differently, it's also one trip for a couple. One holiday and WFBF after that

As long as AZ doesn't F up the magnifica upgrade (or cease operations), I will be OK TATL :P
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by hdtv4me
The loss of upgrades on TCON JFK routes is just overwhelming to me. I am at a loss why the hell an airline investing billions trying to attract flyers in the NYC area by building a new terminal at JFK and expanding LGA gates
Add to that significant investment in SEA and LAX terminals and routes...
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Alaska Gold MVP, Expedia Elite Plus, Amex Reserve.
The JFK upgrades are so tough that I really don't care about this change.
I love the Hawaii upgrade rule.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by adam1080
Never fly transcon, so the biggest negative doesn't hurt me much.
For me to fly transcon from JFK requires a CRJ200 flight to JFK... won't happen.

Or does my global UG coupon get me into FC on the CRJ200?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:23 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Solitaire PPS
Good to see global upgrades on the cheaper fares - better than splurging for that M fare and being on that waitlist.

Pity its only 4... assuming 4 one-way segments. That's just two trips ?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
If the chance of a UG as a PM (which I know) is very close to zero, then what difference is there?
I've flown JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO plenty of times and my complimentary UG % is >90%. Now, not only can I not get complimentary upgrade on them, I can't even use a regional upgrade cert as a PM.

Last edited by javabytes; Dec 10, 2013 at 5:32 pm Reason: Double-checked: It's greater than 90%, not 75%.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA -1K, DL -Silver MM, Marriott - Titanium
As a SEA based Diamond Medallion the loss of the SEA - JFK tcon medallion upgrade is rough, and made even worse by the fact that the Economy Comfort seats on Delta are so bad.
Need to add some cushion to the seats, ease our pain for taking away the upgrades
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Could one pick 4 of the old SWUs as their PM choice and then 4 Global as one of their DM choices?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I view this as a BIG enhancement; just don't understand why Delta wouldn't communicate this earlier. I would have EASILY made DM (instead of renewing 1K) and Delta would have gotten my business next year ... now they lost me to UA since I can't possibly fly that much anymore by 12/31.
Delta always sucked with intl. upgrades and with 4 on essentially any fare they are finally competitive ... should have mentioned this earlier ....
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Or does my global UG coupon get me into FC on the CRJ200?
Well, since every seat is first class, no GMU needed : ) Compliments of Delta
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by craig44485
Could one pick 4 of the old SWUs as their PM choice and then 4 Global as one of their DM choices?
Yes, I believe so. Just as you can pick 6 SWUs as DM + 4 SWUs as PM today
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I actually think these changes are pretty positive overall. SWU usage has been a consistent complaint on this board and the change there is a good one. No more UDU on JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA is obviously not positive but as a FO it wasn't like I ever stood much of a chance on those routes. Makes DL miles a little more valuable now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.