Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ALL Delta West Coast Shuttle Passengers Can Use Sky Priority Security Line

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ALL Delta West Coast Shuttle Passengers Can Use Sky Priority Security Line

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
THe problem at some airports (LAX and FLL come to mind) there is no separate PreCheck lane -- you get in the SkyPriority lane and when you reach the front of that you are PreChecked and can go off to the PreCheck scanner. If the SkyPriority lane backs up, PreCheck doesn't help you.
I seem to recall dedicated PreCheck lines at both LAX/FLL when I've flown through in the past few weeks. At least, I had to show a line guardian my PreCheck BP to be let into a dedicated line that fed right into Pre. The TDC was checking both non-Pre Check and Pre people, but they were feeding from seperate lines.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mersk862
I seem to recall dedicated PreCheck lines at both LAX/FLL when I've flown through in the past few weeks. At least, I had to show a line guardian my PreCheck BP to be let into a dedicated line that fed right into Pre. The TDC was checking both non-Pre Check and Pre people, but they were feeding from seperate lines.
At LAX, when you come up the escalator to the security checkpoint in Terminal 5, there is a sign that says Pre Check/Sky Priority to the right that winds back behind those columns (for lack of a better description). I've never been separated further into a Pre Check versus general elite line at LAX, though it is generally a very short line. Maybe I'm missing something...
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Delta is free to run the airline however they like. But they should go ahead remove the benefit from the Medallion program since it is no longer an exclusive benefit. The majority of us here don't enjoy seeing the benefits we once enjoyed being eliminated.
Whoever said they were exclusive benefits. It is a real stretch to say this is eliminating benefits. Where is the evidence of a "majority of us" think this is a bad idea?
If Delta wants a dedicated "shuttle" experience then they should run it out of dedicated commuter terminals like they have at LGA and SAN.
So, if an airport doesn't physically allow for a dedicated commuter terminal, should that take a "shuttle" out of the realm of possibility?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jsmith50
Wow...elite benefits degraded again in order to increase market share on the west coast shuttle. The elite security lines can be quite lengthy at LAX already, don't need several hundred more people a day contributing to that congestion!
Delta is free to run the airline however they like. But they should go ahead remove the benefit from the Medallion program since it is no longer an exclusive benefit. The majority of us here don't enjoy seeing the benefits we once enjoyed being eliminated.
Meh. The Delta Shuttle operation consists of four routes and six airports. Allowing Shuttle passengers access to the SkyPriority security queue at five of those airports hardly constitutes a degradation of elite benefits considering the breadth of the domestic network. For the record, I'm based at a Shuttle airport (BOS).

I'm just arguing the position that this isn't an elite benefit anymore if regular customers are now being given this service.
Delta markets the Shuttle as a premium product, so Shuttle customers aren't "regular" customers.

Delta offers a lot of shuttle type services such as ATL-LGA,DCA,ORD,MCO,FLL,LAX. They might as well allow those customers the use of Sky Priority services as well.
High frequency alone does not a Shuttle route make. Suggesting that all passengers on high-frequency routes be granted SkyPriority access is a ridiculous leap in logic.

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
THe problem at some airports (LAX and FLL come to mind) there is no separate PreCheck lane -- you get in the SkyPriority lane and when you reach the front of that you are PreChecked and can go off to the PreCheck scanner. If the SkyPriority lane backs up, PreCheck doesn't help you.
Originally Posted by mersk862
I seem to recall dedicated PreCheck lines at both LAX/FLL when I've flown through in the past few weeks. At least, I had to show a line guardian my PreCheck BP to be let into a dedicated line that fed right into Pre.
At airports with dedicated PreCheck queues (e.g., BOS), the TSA document checker often permits ineligible passengers to cut the SkyPriority queue rather than sending them to the back of the line. It seems the best solution is to position the scanner at the entrance to the PreCheck queue. Passengers who don't receive three beeps would be redirected to the SkyPriority or general security queue as appropriate. The printed PreCheck designation on boarding passes wouldn't be enough to police the PreCheck queue, as agent-sourced boarding passes don't yet carry the PreCheck symbol.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
how long will this last?

This amenity may prove so popular that Delta has to upgrade the aircraft to wide bodies like the B744, at which time this amenity will have to be pulled.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
Whoever said they were exclusive benefits. It is a real stretch to say this is eliminating benefits. Where is the evidence of a "majority of us" think this is a bad idea?
Well, up until now Sky Priority was a service provided only to Delta's first/business class customers and Medallion members.

Go back and read my post. I didn't say the majority think this specific move is a bad idea. I said "The majority of us here don't enjoy seeing the benefits we once enjoyed being eliminated." Do you disagree with that statement? I have never observed anyone here being thrilled over the numerous enhancements save for a few apologists.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I just think it's ridiculous that a non-status Shuttle passenger on an $80 LUTXV fare will use the SP lane while a non-status passenger on a $1300 transcon M fare will stand in the general line. What is so important about Shuttle pax?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Well, up until now Sky Priority was a service provided only to Delta's first/business class customers and Medallion members.
False. Shuttle passengers have long had access to SkyPriority security queues at BOS, DCA, and ORD. (Because Shuttle flights operate out of a dedicated terminal at LGA, there is no need for a SkyPriority queue there.)

Originally Posted by cmd320
I just think it's ridiculous that a non-status Shuttle passenger on an $80 LUTXV fare will use the SP lane while a non-status passenger on a $1300 transcon M fare will stand in the general line. What is so important about Shuttle pax?
Two of the Shuttle's selling points are reduced minimum check-in and boarding times. SkyPriority access facilitates these features. Ticket price is irrelevant.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
SkyPriority is not simply a Delta thing. It is a SkyTeam thing. All ElitePlus and SkyTeam business and first customers have access to SkyPriority benefits on any SkyTeam airline.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
There should not be any special security lane for government services.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
For what it's worth, Delta carries so little local traffic between these two cities, it doesn't matter.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHoners Gold, SPG Gold, National ExecElite, Hertz PC, Avis First
Allowing all Shuttle passengers into Sky Priority makes sense if we consider the history of the Shuttle brand (in terms of the original LGA-BOS, LGA-DCA Shuttle operated by Eastern and Pam Am.... now Delta and US Airways.)

Consider that until relatively recently:
- The Shuttle was single class (coach with decent leg-room)
- The Shuttle did have premium amenities in coach
- The Shuttle guaranteed availability for all passengers at all departure times*

* What this meant was that if there were 100 seats on the 3PM to National, and you--the 101st passenger--needed to be on that 3PM flight, the airline would roll out a second aircraft just for you departing at 3:15pm. This wasn't theoretical. These were called "extra sections" and they happened fairly regularly.

The Shuttle was absolutely designed as a premium product squarely for business passengers who could use the service like a commuter train. No need to buy a ticket ahead of time... Show up at the airport 20 minutes before your flight, buy your ticket, and board your plane. Even today, while most flights close check-in 30 minutes before departure, the Shuttles close at T-15, and there are still companies through corporate card arrangements that support walk-up fares and use of the shuttle like it were a commuter train.

Now the Shuttle is two class and there are no more extra sections. LAX doesn't have the infrastructure for a dedicated Shuttle departure terminal (like LGA) or gate area (like BOS) with their own security lines, but if they are trying to recreate the east coast Shuttle experience, Sky Priority is the least they can do.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond

Go back and read my post. I didn't say the majority think this specific move is a bad idea. I said "The majority of us here don't enjoy seeing the benefits we once enjoyed being eliminated." Do you disagree with that statement? I have never observed anyone here being thrilled over the numerous enhancements save for a few apologists.
You are taking your own quote out of context. Clearly, that is what you said as I can read. But the context was that this is one of those benefits that you believe falls into this category. I, and I don't believe a majority of the posters here (but I can't speak for them just as you can't), don't think it does.

Why should first/business class customers get it if it is an exclusive Medallion benefit?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by jsmith50
At LAX, when you come up the escalator to the security checkpoint in Terminal 5, there is a sign that says Pre Check/Sky Priority to the right that winds back behind those columns (for lack of a better description). I've never been separated further into a Pre Check versus general elite line at LAX, though it is generally a very short line. Maybe I'm missing something...
LAX seems to be reconfigured every time I pass through. The latest is that Pre-√ and SP stay together at the top of the escalators, then proceed together to the entrance to that side queue room. At that point, Pre-√ stays to the right and follows the wall while SP snakes back and forth.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
Why should first/business class customers get it if it is an exclusive Medallion benefit?
First and business class passengers have always been given priority services as far back as I can remember. They have paid quite a premium for their ticket and so I feel they are entitled to these benefits. Just as I also have no problem with first/business class passengers having access to the Skyclub on certain routes even though I'm a paid member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.