Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta dedicates 757 to Mariano Rivera

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mrredskin
I've got a huge issue with this.

First, he's still playing.

Also, he is still able to use Jackie's number due to Jackie's being retired across baseball after Mo already had his. After Mo is done, the number remains Jackie's and will never be worn again. The fact that they painted it on the plane as Mo's number is bull****.
I know I'm going to have to duck, but just who are these people and why do one or more of them deserve to have an airplane named in their honor?
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:45 am

quack quack
Old Jul 14, 2013, 9:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I know I'm going to have to duck, but just who are these people and why do one or more of them deserve to have an airplane named in their honor?
Jackie refers to Jackie Robinson, who wore #42 as well. MLB recently retired Robinson's number across all of baseball. Mariano Rivera was granted an exemption because he was wearing #42 at the time MLB made that decision.

"Mo" is Mariano Rivera, who plays for the Yankees, and is one of the greatest relief pitchers/closers of all time. Since Delta is a big sponsor of the Yankees, this was as much a marketing thing as it was to honor Rivera.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'll suggest what is probably a Yogi-ism: if you don't know what you're talking about, don't talk about it.

As a NL baseball fan, the reception he got at the All Star Game, later named as the MVP for career achievement, speaks volumes. If you're not interested in baseball, simply ignore this thread & don't comment.

Baseball fans, read this to see the level of respect he holds w his peers:

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/201...an_league.html

(still bummed Bobby or Chipper didn't get a plane.)
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
I'll suggest what is probably a Yogi-ism: if you don't know what you're talking about, don't talk about it.

As a NL baseball fan, the reception he got at the All Star Game, later named as the MVP for career achievement, speaks volumes. If you're not interested in baseball, simply ignore this thread & don't comment.

Baseball fans, read this to see the level of respect he holds w his peers:

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/201...an_league.html

(still bummed Bobby or Chipper didn't get a plane.)
Yeah, they were giving him the MVP regardless of how what happened.

Really surprising they didn't consider Chipper - he's always been popular, and never really did much wrong - was always loyal to ATL. Obviously it was paired up with all the attention Mo has been getting lately to be a marketing ploy, although I never heard about it outside of FT....
Old Jul 18, 2013, 5:24 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Mo is much more of a class-act than Chipper.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
...."Mo" is Mariano Rivera, who plays for the Yankees, and is one of the greatest relief pitchers/closers of all time....
That's better.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:40 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by mrredskin
I've got a huge issue with this.

First, he's still playing.

Also, he is still able to use Jackie's number due to Jackie's being retired across baseball after Mo already had his. After Mo is done, the number remains Jackie's and will never be worn again. The fact that they painted it on the plane as Mo's number is bull****.

What's the stupidest, least substantive thing you can complain about? (DL version)
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
so you're complaining about where i put that comment? you the pot or kettle? i go kettle.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:54 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
No. It wasn't a matter of where you put the comment. It was my way of opining that the complaint was among the more stupid and least substantive.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
this was as much a marketing thing as it was to honor Rivera.
It was 100% marketing. if you think any part of this was done just to 'honor' a player, you bought into the marketing.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Saw on Facebook that Delta dedicated a 757 to #42 Mariano Rivera today. One of the greatest to play the game!
They better never fly that plane to BOS, PWM, MHT, PVD, of BTV. BDL probably isn't a very good place for that plane either.

Last edited by SJC ORD LDR; Jul 18, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.