Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to First never uses seat preference in my profile!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade to First never uses seat preference in my profile!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:04 pm

Some DL Medallions would be happy to experience this problem!
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Originally Posted by RockStarLurker
Yes, yes it is, but a problem nonetheless.

This.
Every. Single. Time. Always an aisle. And as soon as I get the notice I go online (or in the app) and change it to window. Every. Single. Time. And since I became DM, this is 5 days out with almost the whole cabin open.

Someone solve my issue!! /endhysterics
Just slightly off topic, but neither my wife(GM), nor I(PM), received an email notification about our respective upgrades for flights this Sat. First time that has happened to us. Has something changed in this regard? Only way that I knew was when I logged into our accounts and noticed that we had been upgraded.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by arkangel
Just slightly off topic, but neither my wife(GM), nor I(PM), received an email notification about our respective upgrades for flights this Sat. First time that has happened to us. Has something changed in this regard? Only way that I knew was when I logged into our accounts and noticed that we had been upgraded.
Just FWIW, I don't always get mine, either. The only two notifications I've received were a few weeks back when I had 1 of 4 clear at the window, and then yesterday when 2 of 4 cleared at the window for an upcoming flight. The first time I ever had an UG (while still FO), the only reason I even noticed is because I was checking the seatmap to see if I could move to a better EC seat (in the hopes that other elites had upgraded), and saw the red SP banner at the top of the page; I got excited and, sure enough, I was upgraded. My connection was upgraded about 8 hours later, but no email for that.

As for seat preference, DL.com done did good this time 'round for my upcoming trip. My profile preference is aisle, and on a 75X with 5 window seats and one aisle available, it put me in the aisle. It did the same for the MD-88 I am upgraded on, but I changed it to a window seat (I like 4D a lot better than 1C).
Old Dec 4, 2013, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My impression is that when DL does upgrades at the DM/PM window, they assign the best seats in order of the upgrade priority. In the days of EF, if OU/RU was still available after the window, it wound seem that I got a prime seat as a DM. When this didn't happen and I was upgraded as a DM on a lower fare class, I might get a window, or bulkhead, or be in the last row of FC on a 757, presumably as one of the last elites to clear at that window. I observed pretty consistent better seats on higher fare classes for equivalent flights with the same level of expected difficulty to get upgrades.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My impression is that when DL does upgrades at the DM/PM window, they assign the best seats in order of the upgrade priority. In the days of EF, if OU/RU was still available after the window, it wound seem that I got a prime seat as a DM. When this didn't happen and I was upgraded as a DM on a lower fare class, I might get a window, or bulkhead, or be in the last row of FC on a 757, presumably as one of the last elites to clear at that window. I observed pretty consistent better seats on higher fare classes for equivalent flights with the same level of expected difficulty to get upgrades.
I've always chalked it up to people knowing which seats are better/which they like. I notice the seats fill up slowly, until the UG windows open. Then as the days go by and it's my turn (if I'm lucky enough to get an UG), I get to pick from what's left. During the time between the DM/PM and GM windows, I'll notice a lot of musical chairs going on, presumably UGs that clear and then individuals who wish for a different seat. I've noticed a pattern of aisles almost always going first, then middle-row window seats (i.e. 3 and 4 on a 6-row plane, 2 and 3 on a 4 row plane, etc). Then the last row (if it's a hard bulkhead; soft bulkheads sometimes go faster, and I personally like row 4 on CR9s and MD-88s/row 3 on A320s and 319s). And then finally first row bulkheads, first the aisle seats and then the windows.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
I've always chalked it up to people knowing which seats are better/which they like. I notice the seats fill up slowly, until the UG windows open. Then as the days go by and it's my turn (if I'm lucky enough to get an UG), I get to pick from what's left. During the time between the DM/PM and GM windows, I'll notice a lot of musical chairs going on, presumably UGs that clear and then individuals who wish for a different seat. I've noticed a pattern of aisles almost always going first, then middle-row window seats (i.e. 3 and 4 on a 6-row plane, 2 and 3 on a 4 row plane, etc). Then the last row (if it's a hard bulkhead; soft bulkheads sometimes go faster, and I personally like row 4 on CR9s and MD-88s/row 3 on A320s and 319s). And then finally first row bulkheads, first the aisle seats and then the windows.
I'm talking about the original seat assignments when DL confirms the upgrade in the days before the flight. Even a few minutes after the first upgrade sweep, you see the aisles assigned if they weren't taken previously. Afterward, you see elites trying to improve their seat assignments, but at the time that upgrades are granted, DL seems to assign the best available seats based on upgrade priority order.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum . Hyatt Diamond . Delta Diamond . All kinds of car rental statuses
My profile says that I want a window seat. 100% of the time I get an aisle though
Old Dec 4, 2013, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by pointy
My profile says that I want a window seat. 100% of the time I get an aisle though
It should be easy to either switch to a window on line when you notice that your upgrade has been confirmed or during OLCI. On board, people will be eager and willing to swap a prime window for your aisle. In fact, you could probably auction off the aisle seat on most domestic FC flights.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: DM, KM,
So, a couple of weeks ago, I was #1 on the list from ATL-SAN. There were several seats open in F, so I knew I would get the UG. SC agent wouldn't process the UG, had to go to the gate. By the time I walked from the SC to the gate the GA had processed. I was the first to clear, but assigned 6A, when 3 and 4 had been open. Response when questioned is that UGs clear by computer from back to front. So, I get one of the worst seats and GA wouldn't/couldn't change. I couldn't really fuss--thankful for the UG. BTW, I never get an aisle seat (my pref) with gate UGs.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, SPG Plat 100, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by pointy
Yes, this is my problem and no one has fixed it yet.
You all are just telling me to change it. And I do.
Then some of you are telling me your problems. I don't care.

DYKWIA?

Help me.

you know i'm kidding, right?
Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:54 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott Platinum Elite
While the upgrades cleared ahead of time during the window are processed automatically, the "gate lottery" processing is done manually by the gate agent. If for some reason my upgrade doesn't clear during the window, I am almost always #1 at the gate. I just check to see what seats are open in FC online and then go up to the gate agent and NICELY ask for a specific seat when they clear the upgrade. Problem solved. Not sure why the system isn't automatically assigning you the "preferred" seat in your profile during the clearing window. Call the Medallion desk and ask.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
These all bring up good questions, how are UG's assigned whether by EUA or GA during BG UG's. I'm not talking order, but seats.

It appears to me that the EUA picks via your preference.

IME, GA's go by Aisle non bulkhead, window non bulkead, aisle bulkhead, window bulkhead.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When upgrades are processed before the airport, the highest ranking elites on the upgrade list tend to be assigned the best seats. As a PM, the OP is being given a seat after DMs on the flight have been assigned. IME seats tend to be assigned from front to back with the bulkhead row last.

I almost always get my preferred aisle (even when there's no isle in my itinerary), but I watch delta.dumb around my upgrade window and try to move myself then if I'm not happy.
I often don't get my preferred seat, so I change seats quite a bit after I get the EUA notice.

Originally Posted by rjg319
While the upgrades cleared ahead of time during the window are processed automatically, the "gate lottery" processing is done manually by the gate agent. If for some reason my upgrade doesn't clear during the window, I am almost always #1 at the gate. I just check to see what seats are open in FC online and then go up to the gate agent and NICELY ask for a specific seat when they clear the upgrade. Problem solved. Not sure why the system isn't automatically assigning you the "preferred" seat in your profile during the clearing window. Call the Medallion desk and ask.
Agree it's manual, but I wonder if the GA's follow some list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.