Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to First never uses seat preference in my profile!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2013, 5:36 am
Original Poster

While I am very grateful when I am upgraded to First, the "system" always seems to give me an isle seat even though there are window seats available and my seat preference in my profile is for a window seat.

While manually re-selecting a seat inst really a problem, I just wondered if I was missing something here - is there a First class upgrade seat preference setting I missed somewhere and it's set to "isle".
Old Jul 4, 2013, 5:38 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Perhaps you should change your setting to "aisle" rather than "isle"

But seriously, mine always gives me the right choice... Perhaps a CSR may be able to see something else checked in the system?
Old Jul 4, 2013, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Perhaps you should change your setting to "aisle" rather than "isle"

But seriously, mine always gives me the right choice... Perhaps a CSR may be able to see something else checked in the system?
LOL!
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Mine gets it right most of the time
Old Jul 4, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.3MM & a bunch of other programs...
If an aisle is available, the system gives me my preferred aisle seat. The only time that I don't is if there isn't one available when I clear, or during the gate lottery where the GA just assigns them randomly (it seems to me anyway).
Old Jul 4, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
If aisle is in your profile, it could be that other elites were upgraded 1st, and they got the aisle. I have window in my pref and I get it 90% of the time.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/3.4 MM, DLAmex Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite, Hertz Gold 5*
Mine gets it right most of the time too. If I don't, it's because all the aisle seats are gone.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: DL DM MM, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Mine seems to get it right most of the time too. Unfortunately what I would really like is to have a seat preference of aisle in coach and window in first. I have it set to aisle because that is a bigger deal than the window.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When upgrades are processed before the airport, the highest ranking elites on the upgrade list tend to be assigned the best seats. As a PM, the OP is being given a seat after DMs on the flight have been assigned. IME seats tend to be assigned from front to back with the bulkhead row last.

I almost always get my preferred aisle (even when there's no isle in my itinerary), but I watch delta.dumb around my upgrade window and try to move myself then if I'm not happy.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:29 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I have "Window" as my preference and the system has always given me a window for an upgrade unless there were none available.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:43 am

Humm, I have a window as my preference but Delta Dumb always upgrades me to an aisle seat for some reason. I always have to go online and manually select a window seat (which is usually available).
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by ksdlflyer
Mine seems to get it right most of the time too. Unfortunately what I would really like is to have a seat preference of aisle in coach and window in first. I have it set to aisle because that is a bigger deal than the window.
I would like this option also, especially on aircraft where the coach passengers all bump past you with their overly large carry-on luggage. When I am in coach, I of course want aisle so that I can (hopefully) get off the plane faster. That is not an issue when in F.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
This is a First World Problem, eh?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When upgrades are processed before the airport, the highest ranking elites on the upgrade list tend to be assigned the best seats. As a PM, the OP is being given a seat after DMs on the flight have been assigned. IME seats tend to be assigned from front to back with the bulkhead row last.

I almost always get my preferred aisle (even when there's no isle in my itinerary), but I watch delta.dumb around my upgrade window and try to move myself then if I'm not happy.
So in that vein, would it be safe to say that DL is very aware of which seats are "good" and "not so good"? I just booked a G fare and since I was already logged in, I just hit purchase and it took me to the confirmation screen. I then realized I hadn't made a seat selection yet, but on the receipt it said my seat was 2A. On my profile my preferred option is Window seat, the F cabin is completely empty (except for my seat now) and this flight is on a 75U. So I can only assume they know that row 1 has really bad legroom? Interesting.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, SPG Plat 100, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by randidliyo
This is a First World Problem, eh?
Yes, yes it is, but a problem nonetheless.

Originally Posted by fpmurphy
Humm, I have a window as my preference but Delta Dumb always upgrades me to an aisle seat for some reason. I always have to go online and manually select a window seat (which is usually available).
This.
Every. Single. Time. Always an aisle. And as soon as I get the notice I go online (or in the app) and change it to window. Every. Single. Time. And since I became DM, this is 5 days out with almost the whole cabin open.

Someone solve my issue!! /endhysterics

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.