Wiki Posts
Search

SkyMiles redemption on Aeroflot

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
Redeeming Skymiles on Aeroflot to Maldives

Has anyone had any success in doing this? I just noticed on Aeroflot's website their seasonal flights from Moscow to Male are starting in a few months...and am curious.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:26 am

Programs: DL PT, SPG Gold, Amex PT
Haven't tried to get to Maldives yet via SkyMiles on Aeroflot, but I've been a regular user of SU metal when redeeming DL miles. I don't see a problem if the inventory is available. Good luck and please report findings.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
Yeah, the main reason I ask is because I had read elsewhere on FT that they were charter flights. That may have been the case in the past, but the flights show up as regularly scheduled flights in the Skyteam timetable, so it looks good. Too bad they the IAD-SVO flight doesn't connect same day with the SVO-MLE flight. I will keep you posted if I can ever afford to go!
Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:11 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Plat, national executive elite
how to book on Aeroflot with Miles

I was just looking at using my miles for an international trip.

This is the first time I am trying to use the 750K miles I have earned over the last 4 years for an award ticket.

How do I book award tickets on Aeroflot?

I called delta and they said I would have to book the aeroflot award tickets on the phone with them.

Is there a better way to book award tickets aeroflot thru Delta?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pauleknight
I called delta and they said I would have to book the aeroflot award tickets on the phone with them.
That is the ONLY way to book award tickets on Aeroflot with Delta miles. Delta.com allows award bookings for flights operated by Delta, Air France, KLM, Alaska, and Hawaiian Airlines - but not Aeroflot.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt a lowly Platinum now
Expert Flyer is a big help for this; much faster and eaier to find out which flights have available seats there before you call. So far, it has been 100% accurate for me.

select Aeroflot (SU)

Class(es):
(limit 9) Please first select an Airline.
Business - Award (O)
Economy - Award (X)

Check the boxes for O and X, and then you can play around with days/times/routings before you call DL. Trust me, it's WAYYYY faster.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:07 pm

can I pay with miles?

I saw that the price for the tickets we are looking for is $850 w/tax

The lowest price with miles is 60K miles plus $200 tax.

SO it looks like I could pay with miles and come out even and get the flights I want.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Paul
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Pay with miles is open on DL-coded and operated flights only... redemption would be the way to go
Old Nov 21, 2010, 3:52 pm

ohhhh...

Thanks for the advice.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
sure thing...
I head good tihngs about the busienss class cabin on the a330 - if you can score that, it might be miles well spent. SVO is a long flight too!
and intra-eu, they have a legit business class, like US-type seats (rather than the 'we block the middle economy seat' C-cabin on most carriers...
Old Mar 26, 2011, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Has anyone booked coach award travel on Aeroflot to east of Moscow?

I have it in the back of my mind to try to get to Mongolia in the summer using SkyMiles for all or part. KE reaches it through ICN, though availability could be a problem. In trying to book ATL-ULN-ATL the system just throws up its hands and sez to call the 800 number.

Am curious if anyone out there has booked a coach award using Skymiles on Aeroflot to ULN or one of the other obscure markets they serve east of Moscow? Was there availability at the low level? Was it a big hassle to try to book it? If you went, how were the flights (have never flown them, but they used to be notorious way back when).
Old Mar 26, 2011, 3:07 am

Programs: DL PM, GE
I did this a few times, you need to call Delta to book it and they always book the low awards, they told me once they dont have the three award tiers on partners.
Not sure what they charge from ATL, but i paid 40K miles for Berlin-SVO-TAS and back.

You need to find i think X availability for coach and O for business.

ULN shoul be the same mileage. Service was great.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by RustyC
In trying to book ATL-ULN-ATL the system just throws up its hands and sez to call the 800 number.
Delta, Hawaiian, Alaska, AF, and KLM are the airlines listed for online award search. I have seen a few Delta-coded/Aeromexico-operated flights too, but no Aeroflot.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: Aeroflot Gold, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
Arrow I booked New Orleans-NY-Moscow-Bishkek (Kyrgyzstan)

Greetings,

I booked New Orleans-NY-Moscow-Bishkek, round trip, earlier this month for 90,000 miles (would have been lower except for the tighter availability in the US), no stopovers. You have to push the agents to check the availability on DL ATL-SVO vs DL JFK-SVO vs SU JFK-SVO.

As mentioned above you have to call Delta directly for both availability and booking. The old work around of looking at NWA's Japan site no longer works

Remember that the layovers can be very long in Moscow. Remember the visa issues: dual entry, vs single entry. You would effectively need to get the visa before your trip.

Last edited by MaecDavidMiller; Mar 26, 2011 at 9:43 am
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:38 am

necessity of visa for SVO transit

even though I believe the Delta info available to GA (from Timeatic) says visa required for transfer from SVO2 to SVO1, there is a sterile transfer available (they collect the pax and drive a van across the runways to the other terminal). So, if you are will to risk being denied boarding for lack of Russian visa, you can transit at SVO to CIS destinations without an (expensive) Russia visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.