Wiki Posts
Search

At seat power

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 3:53 am
Original Poster

At seat power

Hi all,

The usual story - have been reading FT for the last couple of years, but this is my first post. I hope it's in the most appropriate place - if not, some guidance about it's placement would be well received since I have another "general" question to ask, not related to any particular airline or miles program etc.

I'm flying from LHR to LAS in 3 weeks time, and my seat (Delta) apparently has some sort of power in the seat. The plane is 767-400.

I'm aware that on some airlines, you require some sort of adaptor to use this facility.

Can anybody give any guidance on what I might find on the Delta flight, be it USB, US Plug or some other?

Thanks.
Old May 17, 2013, 7:42 am

You should have USB,
Old May 17, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
More recent in-seat sockets will have a USB slot as well as a two-pin that will take both European and American plugs, and sometimes UK and Australian ones.

Don't expect to be charging flat batteries - these are for an often intermittent trickle feed that will allow you to operate your device but probably not charge it. I've been on a couple of flights where people attempting to charge hungry batteries have caused the whole power feed to shut down.

If you're running a laptop, best to remove the battery if possible.
Old May 17, 2013, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks - I'm only concerned with making sure that after my LHR-ATL flight, my ipad still has enough power to see me through a couple of hours in ATL before my ATL-LAS trip.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:38 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, donkeh. Please follow this thread in the Delta Forum.
Thanks.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 17, 2013, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
The 764 has USB and plugs rows 15-24. 25 and higher have USB, but it is not always reliable.

These threads may be useful to you:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...london-dl.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-aircraft.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...t-seating.html

Old Jun 8, 2013, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Well, after getting the info on it, the plane didn't have plugs or USB.

I was under the impression they had upgraded all of the 764's
Old Jun 8, 2013, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by donkeh
Well, after getting the info on it, the plane didn't have plugs or USB.

I was under the impression they had upgraded all of the 764's
They were all upgraded. Which row were you seated in? A/C outlets only go back to row 24 IIRC. USB is in all rows. These are located under the seats.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Hi, sat in seat 18A economy comfort.

There was no plug (which I believe should have between on the base of the armrest of the chair in front of me?)

There was no USB at all in the plane. (I was expecting to see the USB port on the screen. The screen was a white screen with a card reader on the bottom of it.) (when I say not at all, I'm excluding BE)
Old Jun 8, 2013, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi, sat in seat 18A economy comfort.

There was no plug (which I believe should have between on the base of the armrest of the chair in front of me?)

There was no USB at all in the plane. (I was expecting to see the USB port on the screen. The screen was a white screen with a card reader on the bottom of it.) (when I say not at all, I'm excluding BE)
Having flown all of the 764's, I'm pretty confident into knowledge of these a/c. The outlet/USB ports are underneath the seat you're sitting in. For 18A, it's under the seat at the center of the A and B seats. DL does not have USB by their AVOD screens.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 1:26 am

The USB is under your seat cushion, behind your knees while seated.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 2:07 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Be aware that even if there is in-seat power it may not be sufficient to power certain devices. I was on a 767 (not sure which one, it's the one with 5 rows of 2-2-2 seats in F that most people dislike but I found just fine), and the in-seat power plug was not sufficient to power my laptop. YMMV. I would not count on the in-seat power for anything critical.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Plat Exec
Whenever i attempt to charge my iPhone with the USB port, it charges maybe 5% per hour. What kind of power is that?
Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by sorka
Whenever i attempt to charge my iPhone with the USB port, it charges maybe 5% per hour. What kind of power is that?
Delta's best in class "power plus," for which they will soon charge $29/segment.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Last week I was on a 73H with USB and AC power. I didn't try the USB, but used the AC substantially to read documents and type up a report on my laptop, and then play one of the internet games on the gogo homepage for the remainder of the flight. Granted, my laptop had been in sleep mode all day and was at about 95% when I plugged it in, but it charged the remaining few percent and powered my macbook for the 4 hour flight. I've heard that it doesn't really have the juice to recharge a battery and some have suggested removing it, but mine is internal so I couldn't. So maybe that system had more power? Or no one else was really using it? I didn't see anyone else in EC powering anything, but didn't bother to check further back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.