Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Impact of FAA furloughs on DL operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impact of FAA furloughs on DL operations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by StuckOnSegments
So, i'm not understanding the commentary on here regarding this being an "administration hissyfit".

Do you think cutting $647M from a ~$15.2B(down from $16B in FY12) budget would have 0 impact? They have to cut that all out of 5 months of budget, which makes things even worse.

I don't get some people.
One in 3 employees of the FAA is an airtraffic controller. The amount of furlough time per day per employee is 28 minutes. If you increased this by 14 minutes per day for all non-ATC employees the problem would be solved.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Karma...

DCA is now experiencing OTHER/OTHER delays of 73 minutes average and 140 minutes maximum.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 4:51 pm

Thanks for all this info, everyone.

For those of us who have upcoming DL flights and xfers through JFK, combined with scheduled tight connection times, as well as limited flight availability--as an example I have a TPA-JFK-MXP flight next week; 90 minute layover; and the MXP flight is only 1x per 24 hours--should we be contacting DL and trying to reschedule/change flights?

I did try DL Assist a few days ago, saying I would route through MIA or MCO to anywhere in Europe, as I just need to get across the pond, but the DL rep said negatory. So here I am with a 98% chance that I'm going to be stuck in the netherworld of JFK for who knows how long.

In other words, if we can see problems already on the horizon, wouldn't it be better for everyone--meaing, DL and me--to head things off at the pass?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by elizadoo

For those of us who have upcoming DL flights and xfers through JFK, combined with scheduled tight connection times, as well as limited flight availability--as an example I have a TPA-JFK-MXP flight next week; 90 minute layover; and the MXP flight is only 1x per 24 hours--should we be contacting DL and trying to reschedule/change flights?

I did try DL Assist a few days ago, saying I would route through MIA or MCO to anywhere in Europe, as I just need to get across the pond, but the DL rep said negatory. So here I am with a 98% chance that I'm going to be stuck in the netherworld of JFK for who knows how long.

In other words, if we can see problems already on the horizon, wouldn't it be better for everyone--meaing, DL and me--to head things off at the pass?
Since you are on mainline, you are luckier than others. DL did state today that DL Connection flights in the NE would be the ones hit the hardest and mainline would be prioritized. The flights from TPA to JFK on DL were pretty much on time today. Of course if there is a weather issue on your day of travel, all bets are off.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by elizadoo

There was no reason why there should be any delays in NYC period! I don't see why Delta will change you, because possible ATC delays. Maybe monitor the flights out of Tampa the next few days. As stated, both flights out of TPA-JFK were on-time or delay due to late equipment. Everyday is different with ATC. JX center had issues yesterday but not today. Tampa weather will good thru Friday.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
To properly answer this, I'd have to go full-blown OMNI.

Suffice it to say, that there are some of us beyond the Belt-way who have well-deserved skepticism when any federal agency asserts that it can't find 4.25% fat in its budget.

I've been exposed to the process. I have no doubts that, last August, there were folks in the FAA tasked with finding anything that money could be spent on before the end of the fiscal year under the "If we don't spend it all, our next budget request will be cut!" paradigm.
I get what you're saying, but its really a 7.2% cut (.637B / (15.2 * (7/12)). In addition, the law requires the cuts to be across the board with regards to accounts, requiring the same percentage cut from each account. Operations is one such account, totaling $9.7B.

71.5% of that account goes towards salaries. Are you telling me that if you had to cut 7.2% from your budget you wouldn't touch your 71.5% salary costs?

Looks to me like they did what any other organization or business would do under the situation, and reduced hours by 10%, which would account create a 7.15% cut, pretty much taking care of things.

But please, continue to call it a hissy fit.

The airlines need to shift some of their flights to underutilized airports, and that's going to take time. Also, i'm happy that ATL is unaffected, does anyone know why some airports are more affected than others? Does it come down to the way the ATC is divided? i wouldn't think that ATL is underutilized.

Last edited by StuckOnSegments; Apr 23, 2013 at 5:33 pm
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Bicostal
One in 3 employees of the FAA is an airtraffic controller. The amount of furlough time per day per employee is 28 minutes. If you increased this by 14 minutes per day for all non-ATC employees the problem would be solved.
Right, and i'm sure that all the employees make the same amount of money. You comparison is useless without that adjustment.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by Bicostal
The amount of furlough time per day per employee is 28 minutes. If you increased this by 14 minutes per day for all non-ATC employees the problem would be solved.
No, it's not. It's 11 days through September, which is about 10%. So assuming an eight-hour day, that would be 48 minutes. Hence 96 minutes/day for other employees if your 1/3 is correct. Except that on average they're likely lower-paid than the controllers, so even more.

Maybe your employer can take 25% cuts and maintain functions, but the government isn't remotely that fat (except the Pentagon).
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Most of northeast has weather delays due to low ceilings, wind.

DCA is still operating with ground stop delays due to FAA staffing.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I get what you're saying, but its really a 7.2% cut (.637B / (15.2 * (7/12)). In addition, the law requires the cuts to be across the board with regards to accounts, requiring the same percentage cut from each account. Operations is one such account, totaling $9.7B.

71.5% of that account goes towards salaries. Are you telling me that if you had to cut 7.2% from your budget you wouldn't touch your 71.5% salary costs?

Looks to me like they did what any other organization or business would do under the situation, and reduced hours by 10%, which would account create a 7.15% cut, pretty much taking care of things.

The airlines need to shift some of their flights to underutilized airports, and that's going to take time. Also, i'm happy that ATL is unaffected, does anyone know why some airports are more affected than others? Does it come down to the way the ATC is divided? i wouldn't think that ATL is underutilized.
Actually, I suspect the hissy fit foot stamping is occurring at a higher level. FAA folks are just obeying orders.

BTW... OMB guidance:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...13/m-13-11.pdf

"As directed by Memorandum 13-03, in allocating reduced budgetary resources due to sequestration, agencies should generally use any available flexibility to reduce operational risks and minimize impacts on the agency's core mission in service of the American people. Agencies should also take into account funding flexibilities, including the availability of reprogramming and transfer authority."
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

Underused airports don't have the demand.
As well, they would command higher fares which would make people stay away from those airports.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Actually, I suspect the hissy fit foot stamping is occurring at a higher level. FAA folks are just obeying orders.

BTW... OMB guidance:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...13/m-13-11.pdf

"As directed by Memorandum 13-03, in allocating reduced budgetary resources due to sequestration, agencies should generally use any available flexibility to reduce operational risks and minimize impacts on the agency's core mission in service of the American people. Agencies should also take into account funding flexibilities, including the availability of reprogramming and transfer authority."
Funny how you left out "Sequestration provides an agency with little discretion in deciding where and how to
reduce spending. All non-exempt budget accounts in a given spending category must be reduced
by a uniform percentage, and the same percentage reduction must be applied to all programs,
projects, and activities (PPAs) within a budget account. However, depending on an agency's
account structure and any existing flexibilities provided by law, some agencies may have a
limited ability to realign funds to protect mission priorities."

Unless you can prove the FAA might be one of these agencies with a limited ability to do so. Until then, you're just making unfounded innuendo and removing context from quotes. In addition, the hissy fit throwing administration issued this memo, so you're even further weakening your point.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Underused airports don't have the demand.
As well, they would command higher fares which would make people stay away from those airports.
You're misunderstanding me or i was unclear. I'm saying the airlines should direct more traffic and thus "hub" more flights through underutilized airports.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:04 am

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Delta DM
We are flying ATL-CDG-LIS in 3 weeks with a 90 minute connection in CDG....I'm worried about making our CDG connection to Lisbon. Atlanta news stations state an average 2-3 hr delay in flights out of ATL.??
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:32 am

Best site for delay monitoring?

I saved this site:

http://www.fly.faa.gov/ois/

from an earlier post. Is this the best to use to see affected airports and delay times?

Are there any others that are helpful that you would recommend?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.