Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Save Sky Miles II ... if not now, then when?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2013, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Originally Posted by bubbashow
If that happens, flood the market with DMQM promotions and 599 RTs to SYD. There will be PLENTY of forgiveness in the 3G&G crowd. DL knows it.
What is 3G&G?
I think it's Gimme, Gimme, Gimme & Gimme some more.
Old May 4, 2013, 12:16 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors

IMO there will be no return to the better days of SM unless the economics as judged by DL require it. A campaign won't help this time. I'm not trying to "save" SM, I'm "saving" myself, by status matching to AA later this year, having already got their credit card and begun using it rather than my SM Amex. I'm not one of those "I'm never flying DL again" folks, and I don't hate DL though I am sarcastic about them because it's so easy to make fun of them. When I am flying leisure with my family we are usually in Y and if DL's price and routing fit us best we'll still fly DL. For J UGs when I am flying business I will choose to maintain my status on AA going forward because AA still has advance TPAC UG availability (except not on partner operated legs between HKG and NRT or PVG but I don't care about those) and you can UG from any Y fare (you have to co-pay so the cost ends up comparable to an M fare, but you don't co-pay until the UG clears, unlike DL where you buy a super expensive fare and then wait list). I expect AA to devalue its program after the merger with US is complete, and maybe I'll have to re-evaluate at that time, but I'm doing what makes the most sense for me right now, and everyone else should be doing what makes the most sense for them right now too.

I'll continue to participate in the DL forum though, it's much more interesting than the AA!
Old May 4, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HongKonger
IMO there will be no return to the better days of SM unless the economics as judged by DL require it. A campaign won't help this time.!
I tend to agree everyone talks about how much better it was 5,10, 20 years ago. It is not going back to those days, they are looking at how to cut costs and or increase revenue. At the end of the day it is what it is.
Old May 4, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by HongKonger
IMO there will be no return to the better days of SM unless the economics as judged by DL require it. A campaign won't help this time. I'm not trying to "save" SM, I'm "saving" myself, by status matching to AA later this year, having already got their credit card and begun using it rather than my SM Amex. I'm not one of those "I'm never flying DL again" folks, and I don't hate DL though I am sarcastic about them because it's so easy to make fun of them. When I am flying leisure with my family we are usually in Y and if DL's price and routing fit us best we'll still fly DL. For J UGs when I am flying business I will choose to maintain my status on AA going forward because AA still has advance TPAC UG availability (except not on partner operated legs between HKG and NRT or PVG but I don't care about those) and you can UG from any Y fare (you have to co-pay so the cost ends up comparable to an M fare, but you don't co-pay until the UG clears, unlike DL where you buy a super expensive fare and then wait list). I expect AA to devalue its program after the merger with US is complete, and maybe I'll have to re-evaluate at that time, but I'm doing what makes the most sense for me right now, and everyone else should be doing what makes the most sense for them right now too.

I'll continue to participate in the DL forum though, it's much more interesting than the AA!
Pretty much exactly how I feel and how I'll respond to the FFP devaluations.

Billboards are dead and a waste IMO. Social and mainstream media, maybe?

But, there's only 3 players so it's a sellers market and this buyer will patronize those that serve me best and ignore the lies and lame "promises" intended to sway my choice one way or the other.

The GAME is on and reaching target status, 'will now avoid DL so that they don't "hook me" with any rollover miles. 2nd half of the year will prove to be very interesting....

So glad I'm not hub captive!
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: DL GM
Let's get this thread going again!
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I'm in more of a mood to participate in Let SkyMiles Burn I than Save SkyMiles II.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Note that I was not the one who bumped this thread.

It will be interesting to see where this thread goes over the next few days.

But, I have to say it.

What happened yesterday was more likely to occur because DL management had been enabled and emboldened by the lack of response from the FF community to the myriad benefit cuts that we allowed.

We brought this onto ourselves.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: DL GM
I can't seem to find the website any longer. Is it still in existence?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by sectflyer
I can't seem to find the website any longer. Is it still in existence?
http://www.saveskymiles.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.