Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Save Sky Miles II ... if not now, then when?

Old Apr 13, 13, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

This thread is intended (hoped) to consolidate the discussion of this topic in a single location... rather than continuing the dispersed discussion of the topic in all of the diverse threads about lost benefits.

I have been suggesting for some time now that an organized resistance to the continuing erosion of SM benefits was essential to at least slow the pace of the erosion.

Consider what we have seen:
  • Fare Alignment causing devaluation of SWUs
  • MQDs (admittedly, may be hard to get an agreement that this is a "problem")
  • SDC program changes
  • Low award availability issues (in spite of the promises of the gains we would get from the T-72 rule)
  • The despicable 100% SM death tax
  • M fares at 100% vs 150%
  • Restrictions on eCerts
  • UG capacity lost to FCM
  • Failure to engage the FF community in any form of constructive dialog
  • etc, etc

And, you don't have to be much of a pessimist to fear the looming prospects for the fare-based (FUBAR) award system, and reduction of MQM's for discounted Y fares.

If this isn't the time for the FF community to show a little backbone, when is the time?

Some have suggested a USAToday ad. And, surely we could also be using the social media more effectively.

Why should we not aggressively publicize how the promised "best in class" program has become the "least in class" program?

Threatening to run away to another airline's program is not much of a threat when they are all racing to the bottom. Stay and fight for the program that you have put so much into.

Isn't it better to fight the devils you know rather than putting yourself in the hands of the devils you don't know.

You can expect that there will be some who will post here who cynically view your every loss as a potential gain for themselves. Don't let them dissuade you from action.

Without action, the current SM program (as poor as it is) will be the best program you'll ever see, as they all continue to spiral downwards.

Let's try to claw back some of the lost benefits and stem the rate of hemorrhaging.

I believe that my last promised contribution to such an effort was $300. I stand by that commitment.
Old Apr 13, 13, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter View Post
Isn't it better to fight the devils you know rather than putting yourself in the hands of the devils you don't know.

Without action, the current SM program (as poor as it is) will be the best program you'll ever see, as they all continue to spiral downwards.
Having said both of these things, fully realizing, as you said, that all FF programs are a race to the bottom, do explain why DL should increase or even retain their benefits to SM members? There's nowhere to go and they know it so why leave all of that liability on their books? Sure people may leave, but what will happen when other carriers follow suit?
Old Apr 13, 13, 9:18 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
http://www.flyertalk.com/the-gate/bl...this-time.html
Old Apr 13, 13, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mhop1027 View Post
Having said both of these things, fully realizing, as you said, that all FF programs are a race to the bottom, do explain why DL should increase or even retain their benefits to SM members? There's nowhere to go and they know it so why leave all of that liability on their books? Sure people may leave, but what will happen when other carriers follow suit?
As others have pointed out, "loyalty" programs are now more focused on attracting new customers than retaining existing, loyal customers.

Effective publicity that discourages new customers from coming to DL by depicting the FF program as one not worth associating with would sting.
Old Apr 13, 13, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I understand the points that the article makes but, IMHO, it overlooks one significant factor that did not exist to nearly the same degree for SSM-I and which should counter some of the factors that are in the favor of the airline.

That factor is the proliferation of social media. Imagine the 2013 equivalent of the rolling billboard in a viral video on YouTube.
Old Apr 13, 13, 9:35 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
.....just another WUA post.........
Old Apr 13, 13, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont View Post
.....just another WUA post.........
And, just another cryptic acronym that only you will understand.

But, thanks for not disappointing us.

Now, can we go back to posts that avoid drive-by-shootings and at least stimulate intelligent debate?
Old Apr 13, 13, 9:48 am

Thumbs up

And, just another cryptic acronym that only you will understand.

But, thanks for not disappointing us.

Now, can we go back to posts that avoid drive-by-shootings and at least stimulate intelligent debate?
how many of these threads are you going to start?

If want to do something, then start it. Organize it. Take the lead.

But then it is easier just to keep positing rather than actually doing something isn't?

Just think about it...............
Old Apr 13, 13, 9:51 am

As others have pointed out, "loyalty" programs are now more focused on attracting new customers than retaining existing, loyal customers.

Effective publicity that discourages new customers from coming to DL by depicting the FF program as one not worth associating with would sting.
It would not sting at all. Again for those concerned with benefits your message may be well-received, but again FF are in a race to the bottom. So if AA and UA enact similar programs, what do you suppose would happen to those old DL fliers? They'll most likely re-evaluate and come back. When you are in a situation where you HAVE to fly every week (a big portion of the FF top tier fliers), you really have no choice but accept what's happening (or change to another carrier, who will inevitably follow suit with their program). DL would be much better off catering to those people who fly on schedule or price and retain their business with good routes, competitive tickets, and a good hard product.

And as much as you think "Save Skymiles" worked the first time, DL kept working on devaluing the program over time. You're still flying them (presumably because you started the thread) and the SM program is larger than it's ever been. Ponder that.
Old Apr 13, 13, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont View Post
how many of these threads are you going to start?

If want to do something, then start it. Organize it. Take the lead.

But then it is easier just to keep positing rather than actually doing something isn't?

Just think about it...............
I have explained that before.

Anything I take an active lead on will become even more of a target for folks like you, those who revel in negativity. Witness you posts here so far.

It would be far better, and there would be far less sniping, if this were coordinated by someone else.

I am not going to play into your hands and let you continue to achieve your apparent goal of taking this thread off course. Bloviate all you want, I won't be responding again.

Now, who would like to have a productive discussion?
Old Apr 13, 13, 9:57 am

Programs: DL DM
....wow.....the troops aren't exactly rallying around the flag here, are they?

I'm in for $100 - just to hasten the speed at which the futility of this will be recognized.

DL has a dialogue with the FF community....just not the low-rev ff community.

Where do I send my check?
Old Apr 13, 13, 10:00 am

I have explained that before.

Anything I take an active lead on will become even more of a target for folks like you, those who revel in negativity. Witness you posts here so far.

It would be far better, and there would be far less sniping, if this were coordinated by someone else.

I am not going to play into your hands and let you continue to achieve your apparent goal of taking this thread off course. Bloviate all you want, I won't be responding again.

Now, who would like to have a productive discussion?
I too rest my case and await the next WUA thread.. I'm sure I will not be waiting long.
Old Apr 13, 13, 10:01 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
You guys are cowards
Old Apr 13, 13, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by flymanbeast View Post
You guys are cowards
Quality post.

How about instead of $10K to for an ad in a paper, we aim for $10B to buy the airline and make these decisions ourselves? ^
Old Apr 13, 13, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OK, we have my $300 and Bubba's $100.

Who's up next?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: