Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Save Sky Miles II ... if not now, then when?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Save Sky Miles II ... if not now, then when?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2013, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
$100 plus certain technical resources I would offer privately to the leader of said effort.

I disagree the only ways to get businesses to respond are congressional pressure or litigation. In fact, they can be among the slowest and most expensive. Social media can deal major blows to a company far faster than just about any other avenue these days. Just look at the checked bags for military members fiasco. DL made service members pay for bags they were supposed to pay for, they didn't like it and made a single YouTube video (one that, I might add, demonstrated only that the service members didn't understand their own travel policies and procedures, and DL adhered perfectly to its own policies), yet a week later a significantly red-faced Delta rolled out a new, far more generous checked baggage allowance for service members.

Last edited by javabytes; Apr 13, 2013 at 1:45 pm
Old Apr 13, 2013, 3:23 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
You people are crazy just because a contract says something is allowed does not mean its legal@:-)
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by flymanbeast
You people are crazy just because a contract says something is allowed does not mean its legal@:-)
And DL has a general counsel and team of lawyers that have looked over every one of these decisions. Have fun with that. Trust me, if changing the SDC rules had the potential to create a devastating effect on their business legally, the change would've had an effective date much further into the future and more advance notice given.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:25 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Think of it as the German invasion in world war 2. He attacked a lot of countries and waited to see if someone would stop him . No one did until it was too late!
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Think of it as the German invasion in world war 2. He attacked a lot of countries and waited to see if someone would stop him . No one did until it was too late!
Wow, this thread has already descended into the Godwin's law meme. That was quick.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87

The ONLY case for possible litigation is perhaps on the SDC changes, as travelers made arrangements with the expectation that they could SDC.
I guess you missed the part where they said they would honor the SDC terms in the fare rules of already purchased tickets.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold
Just a couple of suggestions if you don't like the new policy,

1. Never VDB !! Make them IDB you, or someone else.
2. You show up 5 hours early to SDC and you have a sky club membership? Go the the lounge and drink like a fish. and when you hit your limit, keep getting drinks, then go to the washroom and pour them in the toilet. (Important Note: This does NOT apply to Woodford!)

Your other option is to switch ( as much as reasonable for your circumstances ) to another carrier. I moved almost 70% of my business to UA because I;m an international flyer. "Nuf said.

I am a "tweener". I buy a lot of sLUT fares. I also buy a smaller amount of A,P and C. I fly enough to keep PM and 1K. But based on what I have flown so far and booked in the future, I will be lucky to get GM.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by LBJ
I guess you missed the part where they said they would honor the SDC terms in the fare rules of already purchased tickets.
Yes, I "missed" it and see it now, reviewing DwayneSkymile's announcement. I think also missed my primary point in that even if DL doesn't honor the old SDC policy for tickets purchased before April 23, that they're not doing anything illegal and no one probably has a case to sue.

That said, even on Delta.com under both the "Current Policy" and the "Policy Beginning April 23, 2013" tab, the policy is stated "The same-day travel program is subject to change and the rules in effect on the date of travel will apply." Given DL's wonderous IT, I wouldn't be holding my breath for an easy time to SDC and get the old policy honored after April 23 for tickets purchased before April 23.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 1:16 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Originally Posted by Flyer from Orlando
Are there any litigators on board who can provide any guidance to that thought?
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...nditions.html#

Always remember, the rules below are subject to change at any time. Unless otherwise stated, the current rules in effect at the time of your travel, request for a benefit or other transaction will govern that transaction.

Delta and its program partners reserve the right to change program rules, benefits, regulations, Travel Awards, fees, mileage Award levels, and special offers at any time without notice

What part of this did you not understand when you agreed to join the program and its conditions?
Just because they claim the right doesn't mean they have the right. It may be that the contract, or that portion of it, is invalid or unenforceable. Zappos, the online shoe retailer, got burned on exactly this point in a recent class action lawsuit.

DL is happy for you to believe they have the power to change anything they want to at any time even after you have made a purchase, but that is not necessarily the case. DL can say 2+2=5, that doesn't mean they're right.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 1:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mhop1027
And DL has a general counsel and team of lawyers that have looked over every one of these decisions. Have fun with that. Trust me, if changing the SDC rules had the potential to create a devastating effect on their business legally, the change would've had an effective date much further into the future and more advance notice given.
Because no large business has ever lost a lawsuit, and their lawyers are always right. Obviously.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 1:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LBJ
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87

The ONLY case for possible litigation is perhaps on the SDC changes, as travelers made arrangements with the expectation that they could SDC.
If their reps and IT are actually able to pull that off I would be shocked.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 1:59 am

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
$333.33
Old Apr 14, 2013, 6:20 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...nditions.html#

Always remember, the rules below are subject to change at any time. Unless otherwise stated, the current rules in effect at the time of your travel, request for a benefit or other transaction will govern that transaction.

Delta and its program partners reserve the right to change program rules, benefits, regulations, Travel Awards, fees, mileage Award levels, and special offers at any time without notice

What part of this did you not understand when you agreed to join the program and its conditions?
Of course DL has the right to do that. Just like everyone has the right to be a jerk. It's legal. But if someone's a jerk and his bad behavior affects us, we also have the right to teach him a lesson, and let him learn and grow up.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: UA Silver
I'm in for $100. But I'd like to focus on two things:
(1) award calendar. It is obviously broken. If a product has been broken for years, and the company doesn't fix it or even acknowledge it, it's simply wrong.
(2) sudden rule change (such as award chart) with no advance notice.

The above two are obviously bad practices and everyone should agree, whether HVC or LVC, frequent or non-frequent travelers, DL apologists or normal people.

On the other hand, SDC, MQD, M class bonus, etc., are a little bit weaker arguments. Every loyalty program (airline or hotel) gets devalued over the years, DL is just a little bit faster than others.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by blug
Of course DL has the right to do that. Just like everyone has the right to be a jerk. It's legal. But if someone's a jerk and his bad behavior affects us, we also have the right to teach him a lesson, and let him learn and grow up.
oooooh I'm sure you all have them hiding in the corner now.......

The only folks who need to grow up around here are those those that do not understand basic business concepts and want to whine about every little thing while hiding behind a key board. Nobody wants to step up and work for the change. As in life, those who want something for nothing want it given to them rather than having to do anything for it.

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Apr 14, 2013 at 7:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.