Miles On Aborted Flights?

Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:22 am
Original Poster

I was on flight 844 out of Atlanta yesterday. About 15 minutes into flight we had to return to Atlanta due to mechanical problems. Does ATL-ATL count as a segment? In all the years I have been flying, this is a first for me.

Does anyone know what happened to the plane? It smelled like hot wiring in the cabin or something electrical burning. No smoke though.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors

Doesn't count, but when DL eventually gets you where you need to go you can either get credit for that flight or the flight you were going to take, whichever is longer. If the original flight, use the magic words "original routing credit."

I'm glad you and everyone else on the flight are ok.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Indy
I was on flight 844 out of Atlanta yesterday. About 15 minutes into flight we had to return to Atlanta due to mechanical problems. Does ATL-ATL count as a segment? In all the years I have been flying, this is a first for me.

Does anyone know what happened to the plane? It smelled like hot wiring in the cabin or something electrical burning. No smoke though.
No, you will not get a segment or mileage credit for the ATL-ATL flight. I'm not exactly sure what the previous poster was saying, but if DL put you on another carrier to OMA, you can ask for ORC for the ATL-OMA segment (I think that's what he was saying).
Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:38 am

This happened to me several years ago when the volcano in Iceland was causing problems. 3-1/2hrs into a flight from ATL to Europe they turned us back. Mileage credit didn't post, but I complained vigorously yet politely that I had spent 7hrs in the air and should have something to show for it. I finally ended up with a mileage credit applied to my Skymiles account which ended up being almost twice what I would have earned for the trip itself. The caveat was that this mileage credit didn't count towards mediallion status, but considering the amount of flying I was doing at the time it didn't really matter.

For 15/30minutes, though, I think there is less of an argument for the inconvenience of it all.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by putnam1980
This happened to me several years ago when the volcano in Iceland was causing problems. 3-1/2hrs into a flight from ATL to Europe they turned us back. Mileage credit didn't post, but I complained vigorously yet politely that I had spent 7hrs in the air and should have something to show for it. I finally ended up with a mileage credit applied to my Skymiles account which ended up being almost twice what I would have earned for the trip itself. The caveat was that this mileage credit didn't count towards mediallion status, but considering the amount of flying I was doing at the time it didn't really matter.

For 15/30minutes, though, I think there is less of an argument for the inconvenience of it all.
So since they got you halfway there and back you also suggested that they keep half of your airfare, correct?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 2:47 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by runninaway
So since they got you halfway there and back you also suggested that they keep half of your airfare, correct?
I assume they got him home sometime.

Weather is usually a tougher thing to ask for compensation on because it is out of their control. Now something mechanical I see an easier time getting them to give something up for the troubles.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL DM/SC, SPG Plat, UA, AA, Hertz Gold
I once flew from LGA to MCI on a CR7. According to the pilot, there was a mechanical issue with the CR7s during this time frame which required a re-fueling stop in PIT. I looked at the flight history for the last week and all flights had done this. Upon landing in PIT to re-fuel, we were delayed for 3 hours due to weather. I would have SDC'ed onto another flight routing (through ATL, DTW, or MSP) if I would have known about the issue prior to take-off. In my complaint e-mail, I argued that I should get mileage credit for both segments. The agent in the response said that she couldn't program the route as LGA-PIT-MCI, but she would give me 500 MQMs for the trouble (which was in addition to the $150 e-voucher the FA gave on the plane).
Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by elkapong
I once flew from LGA to MCI on a CR7. According to the pilot, there was a mechanical issue with the CR7s during this time frame which required a re-fueling stop in PIT. I looked at the flight history for the last week and all flights had done this. Upon landing in PIT to re-fuel, we were delayed for 3 hours due to weather. I would have SDC'ed onto another flight routing (through ATL, DTW, or MSP) if I would have known about the issue prior to take-off. In my complaint e-mail, I argued that I should get mileage credit for both segments. The agent in the response said that she couldn't program the route as LGA-PIT-MCI, but she would give me 500 MQMs for the trouble (which was in addition to the $150 e-voucher the FA gave on the plane).
You did well.

I suspect one reason ATL-ATL doesn't earn miles is that the passenger was not ticketed and did not pay for this segment.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Flew SLC to JAC and was not able to land due to weather this winter. We returned to SLC where I SDC'd to a flight to IDA. I ended up getting miles and MQM's for both the JAC & IDA segment.

I would give back the miles in place of the long, snow, and dark drive home from IDA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.