FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Miles On Aborted Flights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1457746-miles-aborted-flights.html)

Indy Apr 12, 2013 4:22 am

Miles On Aborted Flights?

I was on flight 844 out of Atlanta yesterday. About 15 minutes into flight we had to return to Atlanta due to mechanical problems. Does ATL-ATL count as a segment? In all the years I have been flying, this is a first for me.

Does anyone know what happened to the plane? It smelled like hot wiring in the cabin or something electrical burning. No smoke though.

HongKonger Apr 12, 2013 4:47 am

Miles On Aborted Flights?

Doesn't count, but when DL eventually gets you where you need to go you can either get credit for that flight or the flight you were going to take, whichever is longer. If the original flight, use the magic words "original routing credit."

I'm glad you and everyone else on the flight are ok.

xliioper Apr 12, 2013 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 20578981)
I was on flight 844 out of Atlanta yesterday. About 15 minutes into flight we had to return to Atlanta due to mechanical problems. Does ATL-ATL count as a segment? In all the years I have been flying, this is a first for me.

Does anyone know what happened to the plane? It smelled like hot wiring in the cabin or something electrical burning. No smoke though.

No, you will not get a segment or mileage credit for the ATL-ATL flight. I'm not exactly sure what the previous poster was saying, but if DL put you on another carrier to OMA, you can ask for ORC for the ATL-OMA segment (I think that's what he was saying).

putnam1980 Apr 12, 2013 7:38 am

This happened to me several years ago when the volcano in Iceland was causing problems. 3-1/2hrs into a flight from ATL to Europe they turned us back. Mileage credit didn't post, but I complained vigorously yet politely that I had spent 7hrs in the air and should have something to show for it. I finally ended up with a mileage credit applied to my Skymiles account which ended up being almost twice what I would have earned for the trip itself. The caveat was that this mileage credit didn't count towards mediallion status, but considering the amount of flying I was doing at the time it didn't really matter.

For 15/30minutes, though, I think there is less of an argument for the inconvenience of it all.

runninaway Apr 12, 2013 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by putnam1980 (Post 20579849)
This happened to me several years ago when the volcano in Iceland was causing problems. 3-1/2hrs into a flight from ATL to Europe they turned us back. Mileage credit didn't post, but I complained vigorously yet politely that I had spent 7hrs in the air and should have something to show for it. I finally ended up with a mileage credit applied to my Skymiles account which ended up being almost twice what I would have earned for the trip itself. The caveat was that this mileage credit didn't count towards mediallion status, but considering the amount of flying I was doing at the time it didn't really matter.

For 15/30minutes, though, I think there is less of an argument for the inconvenience of it all.

So since they got you halfway there and back you also suggested that they keep half of your airfare, correct? :rolleyes:

A4K Apr 12, 2013 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by runninaway (Post 20581945)
So since they got you halfway there and back you also suggested that they keep half of your airfare, correct? :rolleyes:

I assume they got him home sometime.

Weather is usually a tougher thing to ask for compensation on because it is out of their control. Now something mechanical I see an easier time getting them to give something up for the troubles.

elkapong Apr 12, 2013 5:09 pm

I once flew from LGA to MCI on a CR7. According to the pilot, there was a mechanical issue with the CR7s during this time frame which required a re-fueling stop in PIT. I looked at the flight history for the last week and all flights had done this. Upon landing in PIT to re-fuel, we were delayed for 3 hours due to weather. I would have SDC'ed onto another flight routing (through ATL, DTW, or MSP) if I would have known about the issue prior to take-off. In my complaint e-mail, I argued that I should get mileage credit for both segments. The agent in the response said that she couldn't program the route as LGA-PIT-MCI, but she would give me 500 MQMs for the trouble (which was in addition to the $150 e-voucher the FA gave on the plane).

MSPeconomist Apr 12, 2013 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by elkapong (Post 20582703)
I once flew from LGA to MCI on a CR7. According to the pilot, there was a mechanical issue with the CR7s during this time frame which required a re-fueling stop in PIT. I looked at the flight history for the last week and all flights had done this. Upon landing in PIT to re-fuel, we were delayed for 3 hours due to weather. I would have SDC'ed onto another flight routing (through ATL, DTW, or MSP) if I would have known about the issue prior to take-off. In my complaint e-mail, I argued that I should get mileage credit for both segments. The agent in the response said that she couldn't program the route as LGA-PIT-MCI, but she would give me 500 MQMs for the trouble (which was in addition to the $150 e-voucher the FA gave on the plane).

You did well.

I suspect one reason ATL-ATL doesn't earn miles is that the passenger was not ticketed and did not pay for this segment.

broadbandcowboy Apr 12, 2013 10:40 pm

Flew SLC to JAC and was not able to land due to weather this winter. We returned to SLC where I SDC'd to a flight to IDA. I ended up getting miles and MQM's for both the JAC & IDA segment.

I would give back the miles in place of the long, snow, and dark drive home from IDA.