Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
This wiki covers basic info and common FAQs. For full terms and conditions, see the relevant DL web page: Same Day Travel Changes

Same-Day Confirmed

To request an SDC, you can
  • Use the Same Day Change function on the Today screen in the Delta app (recommended, but with some peculiarities -- may not show all routings, and if changing to an earlier or later flight will only show the option within 24 hours of the target flight)
  • Click the "Change" button during OLCI (after you click "Check in" on the first screen)
  • Call a phone agent (recommended if app does not work)
  • Use Delta's chat functions via the app (hit or miss)

Online SDC does not seem to present all the options available to you, especially when you are SDCing a GAP fare and there is no inventory in your fare bucket. Calling in is best. People have had success with Twitter but that may depend on how "involved" the SDC is.

You can SDC starting 24 hours before your initial departure. You can SDC to any flight leaving the same calendar day. There is a $75 fee for SDC ($50 for tickets issued before March 15th, 2017), waived for GM and higher. This fee, and the waiver, applies for each person, although for GM+ traveling with companion the companion fee is sometimes waived.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (main cabin)?

A. Yes (whether revenue or award ticket). Note there is sometimes inventory in a fare bucket even though it may not be offered for sale on the web site. SDC on V or N (low award) fare is not unheard of.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (Comfort+)?

If booked into W (not WU) there only needs to be an available seat in Comfort+ regardless of fare class.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (First/Business/DeltaOne)?

Q. What about SDC with RUC/GUC/mileage upgrades (that have already cleared)?

As of November 2017:

* If your original ticket is a Delta OneTM ticket, you may move to any other flight with a premium cabin seat available
* If your original ticket is a First Class ticket, you may move only to other flights with a First Class seat available; you may not move to a flight with a Delta One experience, even if seats are available.
It is unclear how this affects SDC if you are confirmed in RY/OY.

Q. I have a premium cabin fare, can I SDC to an itinerary with a single-cabin aircraft?

Written reply received from Delta, Dec. 2015:

f the aircraft does not support a First/Business/Delta One cabin you are still eligible to change to the flight as long we are still selling seats on the flight.

Q. What about Medallion complimentary upgrades?

A. These do *not* count as premium cabin fares even if you already cleared. The main cabin rules for SDC regarding fare inventory will apply, and if it goes through you will SDC into a main cabin seat (but you are eligible to be upgraded again -- make sure you appear on the upgrade list on your new itinerary)

Q. Can I change the routing/connections?

A. You cannot SDC from a connecting itinerary to a non-stop itinerary. In all other cases the answer is unclear. The SDC rules do not explicitly prohibit routing changes. However ticket fare rules usually contain a clause that additions/changes to connections must be permitted by the fare rules. These are apparently in conflict, and practically speaking it depends on the agent/supervisor you speak with. Some refuse, some allow anything reasonable.

Q. Can I change the origin/destination?

A. Technically no, but there is an unwritten rule that DMs can make co-terminal changes. (There are some unintuitive gaps in what DL considers co-terminal, e.g. DAL and DFW do not count.)

Q. How are SDC flights credited?

A. You will earn MQMs for the route you actually fly.

Q. Can I SDC onto a red-eye later the same day, that connects to a flight the following morning?

A. Yes (though the agent may need to process it manually)

Q. I have a red-eye flight or a flight leaving shortly after midnight; can I SDC to a flight the next day/day before?

A. Officially, no. In practice, some people have reported success (with no real pattern to status). Can't hurt to ask.

Q. Can I SDC on an international itinerary?

A. Officially, no. In practice, you can SDC remaining domestic flights after all international flights have been flown; if you have onward checked bags it is best to do this before you re-check them. There are non-zero reports of SDC of domestic flights before connecting to an international flight but this should not be counted on.

Q. Can I SDC an Alaska Airlines codeshare?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can SDC from a DL marketed, AS operated flight to a DL operated flight. You can not SDC to another AS operated flight, even if it's DL marketed.
Originally Posted by jrl767
you may be able to SDC from a DL-marketed AS-operated flight to another AS flight under AS SDC rules (request within 6 hrs of desired flight, as long as you make the request before the scheduled departure of your booked flight; $50 fee if you don't have AS status)
Same-Day Standby

"Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available."

"You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights."

SDS can be requested 24 hours before your initial departure. GM+ can SDS to any flight departing the same calendar day; others can only SDS for an earlier flight. No routing changes are permitted.

SDS costs $75 ($50 for tickets issued before 15 MAR 2017) but only if you clear the standby list (waived for GM+) SDS is now free for all passengers as of August 4th, 2021

Upgrades are not preserved -- if you already cleared the upgrade on your original flight you must still standby for the main cabin.

Q. Is it possible to get upgraded after a standby?

A. Almost always no, whether because it is explicitly forbidden or because the standby list is processed after the UG list and it is rare for any F seats to be leftover after that happens. So, maybe sometimes?

Same-Day Standby Upgrades

"The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings [...]"

This is not the same as upgrading after successfully standing by for a main cabin seat (see above).

SDSU fee chart (may be out of date):

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska

Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles $49 $119 $169

501 to 1,000 miles $79 $149 $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles $99 $209 $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles $149 $249 $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling Y / B / M / H / Q / K Fares

0 to 500 miles $50

501 to 1,000 miles $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles $225

3,001 miles and up $350

Print Wikipost

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mridley2
As we suspected, crux of the matter for SDC is limitation of fare class. As an example, I'm flying LGA > ATL tomorrow booked in L class on a flight. Below is fare class availability for LGA>ATL starting with 7am flight.

F3 P2 A0 G0 Y9 B9 M9 S9 H9 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
F5 P4 A0 G0 Y9 B9 M9 S9 H9 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E9
F7 P6 A0 G0 Y9 B8 M6 S6 H2 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
F8 P7 A0 G0 Y9 B9 M7 S7 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
F5 P4 A0 G0 Y9 B9 M9 S9 H9 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E6
F8 P7 A0 G0 Y8 B6 M4 S4 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
J3 C2 D1 I0 Y9 B9 M9 S9 H7 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
F9 P8 A0 G0 Y9 B8 M7 S7 H1 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
F7 P6 A0 G0 Y9 B8 M6 S0 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0

If I had booked an afternoon flight (as is usually the case with work travel) but was able to get to take an early flight I would not have one single SDC option despite it clearly showing the flights are WIDE OPEN! So I'm stuck with a same day standby option which luckily in this case the odds are very good. But i'm not schleping all the way to the airport hours early to wait around going from gate to gate hoping my standby clears. No thank you Delta.

But LGA>ATL is a very common route. I'm certain less common routes would not have anywhere near as many open seats.

The problem DL faces with this change is flights early in the day will have low yields but later in the afternoon will be packed. I guess that's fine until DL has to VDB 10+ pax on that 8PM LGA>ATL flight and overnight those pax at the Sheraton LGA until the next morning. And presuming VDB's won't count toward MQD's combined with difficulty in using vouchers to begin with, VDB is suddenly a much less sought after option. What's a VDB'er to do? Use the VDB to buy F and earn MQM bonus and gauranteed F while still contributing to your MQD spend...

Outstanding questions: GM+ who standby for a different flight. Are they on the UG list? or standby for coach only? IME, Upgrade list is cleared and then standby pax confirmed. If that continues to be the case, Medallions who standby have almost no chance of an UG.. That might not be the worst thing in the world. upper tier elits switching flights multiple times until they clear into F is IMO gaming the system & should be limited. I know many of you disagree but that's my opinion and i'm sticking to it!
What's really unfair is using the arbitrary fare bucket system. Out of many airports, it is unbalanced. For example, a T fare out of GSO could be more expensive than a K fare out of RDU. How is this fair to the customer?

Just because DL puts larger aircraft (hence more space in each bucket) in a market puts smaller markets at a disadvantage. This could really push DMs in small-midsize markets to opt for another carrier.

While UA has a similar restriction on fare buckets for same day confirmed, they often open up all buckets within three hours. And their top-tier Global Services gets a lot of leniency on moving flights.

This new policy is unbalanced in that it favors people in larger cities. By waiving it for DMs (or perhaps PMs too), this would at least offer a benefit to people who show their loyalty to DL. That would still protect the revenue side for DL while being a trade off for those who are most loyal to the company. Having your back is a two-way street.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by 18sas
Basically yes
That's the way I read it. Meaning you can no longer book an award ticket with wretched routings and/or connections with the hope of fixing it on day of travel. I think that's far more punitive than the new rules for revenue tickets.

David
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by mridley2
F5 P4 A0 G0 Y9 B9 M9 S9 H9 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E9
So using this flight as an example, if I was on a Q-V fare, I'd be out of luck, but if I was on an E fare I would be eligible for SDC, correct?

Makes absolutely no sense. A money grab is all it is....
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by mtkeller
... What if there are no flights within that three hour window? I don't mean no flights with the same fare bucket available, I mean literally no flights. If I want to SDC out of LNK, the time difference will always exceed three hours, since the flights to MSP are at (roughly) 0640, 1300, and 1700. ...
another permutation of this (albeit not applicable to LNK specifically) is that there may be flights within the window, but via different hubs (DTW/JFK/CVG) that are not on the routing
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:22 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DwayneSkyMiles
You’ve heard the buzz about this upcoming change – here are the details.

Starting April 23, you’ll be able to request a day-of-flight change any time prior to the departure time of your original flight within the same calendar day. Previously, changes could only be made within three hours of your new departure time. This expanded timeframe and improved flexibility will allow more time to request same-day changes on the day of departure.

As part of this change – actually part of what enables it – the same booking class (e.g. Q, K, L, U) as your original ticket must now be available in order to make the change. Our systems will automatically identify the booking class of both purchased and award tickets to offer same-day confirmed options when the same fare class is available on another flight.

Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members will receive complimentary same-day travel changes for new flight departure times that are three hours before or after your original departure time. For flights departing outside of this window, a $50 fee for each same-day confirmed ticketing change will now apply. Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members also may continue to stand by free of charge for flights outside of the complimentary window or when your booking class is not available.

All other customers will now have the ability to same-day standby for a $50 fee when their booking class is not available by requesting a day-of-flight change any time prior to the departure time of the original flight. This is a new feature of the same-day travel change program and the fee will not be charged until you have cleared the standby list and are on the aircraft.

While the technology to support this new same-day travel program will go into effect on April 23, it is important to note that our reservations team has the ability to honor the same-day travel policy referenced in the fare rules for tickets purchased prior to April 23, 2013 as requested.

Full details about same-day travel options are available at delta.com/samedaytravel. If you’ve used same-day confirmed or standby options in the past, you should be receiving an email with information about this in the next day or so.

And a little background on why you’ve heard things about these changes before we made an official announcement. We don’t like it when the rumor mill is busy at work before we can tell you ourselves, but in order prepare for the first day of our same-day travel changes, we needed to ensure our agents had sufficient time with the information so they could apply it correctly from day one. We’d like to apologize for any uncertainty and/or confusion this caused in the Delta forum prior to today.
I could deal with the whole fare bucket thing. But I'm going to be blunt with you. The whole fee waiver only on flights 3 hours before/after is TOTAL B*llsh!t. I'm so done with striving to make GM or PM as one of the large reasons I did this is many times I get done with work early and have an evening flight booked and want to change to an early one in the morning. Saying I can standby at the airport is not the same thing - it means I potentially get to waste time at the airport and not get on a flight versus knowing I'm confirmed on an earlier flight.

Love how you try to pitch this as a great thing when in reality you are just screwing your elite members even more. Thanks for nothing Delta!
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Just because DL puts larger aircraft (hence more space in each bucket) in a market puts smaller markets at a disadvantage. This could really push DMs in small-midsize markets to opt for another carrier.
You know they spitballed all this.

This was an overriding desire to tap into a fresh source of sorely needed revenue.

A leading-edge team is at work now on the next one.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
So If my flight leaves at 10am, I can call and confirm if my bucket is avaialble at 7am and as a DM it is no charge, but if I call at midnight and lets say the fare bucket is available (which we all know is a bunch of crap) I pay $50?
Originally Posted by DwayneSkyMiles
... Starting April 23, you’ll be able to request a day-of-flight change any time prior to the departure time of your original flight within the same calendar day. ... Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members will receive complimentary same-day travel changes for new flight departure times that are three hours before or after your original departure time. For flights departing outside of this window, a $50 fee for each same-day confirmed ticketing change will now apply. ...
the way I read this, you're right: we can REQUEST the SDC any time on scheduled day of departure (which actually includes redeye flights thru 2am the next day), but the change is only FREE if the new departure time is within the +/- 3-hour window

ex: if I'm booked LAX-MEM-XXX at 140am Wed, I can REQUEST a change any time after 1201am Tue, but (presuming the fare buckets are available) I can only CONFIRM 930pm LAX-JFK-XXX or 1045pm LAX-ATL-XXX by paying the $50

I would like to know what happens in the case of A fares? If I can't get anytime SDC then why buy it?
as others have said, this one really bites
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
RIP SDC

This is all of the bad parts of the rumors now confirmed.

Standby is a joke, I'm not going to the airport airport all day for the chance of a middle seat.

3hr rule is a joke. I can only switch to a flight 3hrs before/after my original? Talk about way more restrictive than before. So now if I get out of a meeting at noon I have to pay $50 for SDC to get the next flight or wait for my original evening flight, whereas this used to be free.
Also, if there is no other flight within 3hrs then you're screwed, which is often the case when a destination only has a few flights a day, and for flights to/from anyplace that isn't a fortress hub.

Same bucket is a joke. The bucket is not going to be available unless you purchased a very high fare to start with. I'm not going on standby, see above. This also kills award tickets, since if you have a low, you're not going to be able to SDC. Also effectively kills SDC from first class unless you have a full F which is likely flexible anyway.

Looks like a total plan though up by a bunch of green MBAs who are patting each other on the back by finding a way to extra more money from the Ham Sandwiches. I sincerely hope it backfires and revenue from this program falls. Business travelers aren't going to put up with paying $50 and not even having a confirmed seat on a flight.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm concerned by the requirement that the change must be requested before departure of the original flight. This has been how many agents handle missed flights and IROPs. Now, if one misses a flight and cannot call before departure, what happens? Must the person pay the change fee and any fare difference to be reaccommodated on an open flight the same day? Will it give us fewer options and choices in IROPs? Will all such passengers be forced to fly standby?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777

How many small regional airports have another option besides DL? I travel frequently into CHA, BHM, SAV, etc.

DL is really the only reasonable carrier into those airports. Fortunately i'm not captive to DL based in NYC but it's definitely a lot easier to fly into CHA, BHM, etc rather than renting a car and driving 2hrs w/o traffic.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.3MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
ahahahaha

It makes me laugh how hard they tried to make this sound positive. They did the ol' positive news first than all the bad news next. "Hey you can now change to a flight the day before...but actually its 99% of the time going to be impossible".
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
speechless. wow. goodbye business traveler.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jrl22
and it still doesn't address the redeye issue ... SEA/LAX/SFO-MSP-xxx at 1245am can't switch to the 1045pm options over DTW/JFK/ATL
Originally Posted by mersk862
That's mentioned in the link provided:

[snip]
•Your requested flight is same-day confirmed eligible if the departure time(s) fall between 12am (on the same day as the originally booked ticket) and 2am (the following day) to account for overnight flights.
[/snip]
That actually sounds like the opposite. If you're on a 10:00 PM flight, you can change to the 12:45 AM redeye the next day. But if you're on the 12:45 AM redeye, you can't switch to the 10:00 PM flight the night before.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I would like to know what happens in the case of A fares? If I can't get anytime SDC then why buy it?
Yes, I have on many occasions purchased A fares just to be able to utilize SDC, when I could have just purchased the Economy fare and gotten the upgrade. No need to do that anymore.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Give me an example where a cheaper fare bucket is available but the more expensive one isn't? The only time I could see that applying is if you're booked in the forward cabin and are willing to take a downgrade to economy.
Many fares have advanced purchase requirements, so they are unavailable for purchase within a certain window of the flight, even though those fares are "there".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.