Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

amex Delta Reserve: still upgrade priority?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

amex Delta Reserve: still upgrade priority?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott
I got the Delta Reserve card and as a GM I feel it has helped me with upgrades, plus the fact it also includes entry into the Sky Club for myself and 2 guests makes it worth the cost of the card.

On a recent flight traveling with my wife, LGA to RSW on a slut fare on an Airbus with only 12 F seats, I was upgraded at the window, but my wife, who is FO was number 1 on the list at the gate with only 1 seat available and 3 other medallions were listed below her on the gate screen and she got the upgrade, I feel that charging the trip on our Delta Reserve card was the reason she was upgraded ahead of the others on the list.

Mr. Elliott
Charging tickets to a Reserve card has nothing to do with upgrades. what matters is having a Reserve card, in your name, linked to your DL FF account. It need not be used for payment in order to get the upgrade priority and certainly using someone else's Reserve card to pay for tickets has no effect on upgrades.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Are there any promos to UG from DL PLT to Reserve?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Charging tickets to a Reserve card has nothing to do with upgrades. what matters is having a Reserve card, in your name, linked to your DL FF account. It need not be used for payment in order to get the upgrade priority and certainly using someone else's Reserve card to pay for tickets has no effect on upgrades.
This is absolutely correct, but to add, you must be the primary cardholder. Does not apply to secondary cardholders.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
This is absolutely correct, but to add, you must be the primary cardholder. Does not apply to secondary cardholders.
I don't think secondary cards can be linked to DL FF accounts, just entered as a saved payment method, which doesn't result in any benefits such as the upgrade priority. I'm not sure how secondary AmEx cards are treated for the free bag and relatively early boarding.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not sure how secondary AmEx cards are treated for the free bag and relatively early boarding.
It wouldn't/shouldn't get free bag because it would not show up in their Delta.com profile. It only shows up in the primary card holders profile. YMMV as always with Delta.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:43 am

My co-worker and I are both DMs and travel on the same routes with the same fare class. A few times last year, I got the upgrade and he did not. So, it does make a difference if you on the bubble to get an upgrade.

Happydad
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
I've missed as a DM on a B fare with the card, It is a rare benefit at best, you will never 100% definitively know when it helped you get an UG, but you can make yourself believe it did if that makes you feel better about having the card.

I consider that a non-benefit and did not get the card for that reason.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:29 am

>I got the Delta Reserve card and as a GM I feel it has helped me with upgrades, plus the fact it also includes entry into the Sky Club for myself and 2 guests makes it worth the cost of the card.

just to weigh in with my $0.02 on the subject, the annual fee for the DL Reserve is the same as that for the AMEX Platinum (or was the last time I checked).

The AMEX non-branded platinum card gets you $200 in airline credit for a single airline for non-ticket purchases (good for EC, club passes for friends, et). In addition to that $200, they'll reimburse you the $100 Global Entry application fee if you pay it with your AMEX platinum. And it gets you into several different airport clubs as long as you're flying the associated airline. US Airways clubs you don't even need to be flying their airline to use the card. Another perk is you get Priority Pass Select (www.prioritypass.com/select) which gets you into even more airport clubs. All in all, I think the benefits of the nonbranded card are better than those of the DL flavor, though you don't get the first class companion cert.

Just my opinion.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
It always depends on routes you fly. I personally think the card helps my UG percentage. My only upgrade miss in 12 segments this year is ATL-LAX.

This is just my experience.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by jrmoore
>I got the Delta Reserve card and as a GM I feel it has helped me with upgrades, plus the fact it also includes entry into the Sky Club for myself and 2 guests makes it worth the cost of the card.

just to weigh in with my $0.02 on the subject, the annual fee for the DL Reserve is the same as that for the AMEX Platinum (or was the last time I checked).

The AMEX non-branded platinum card gets you $200 in airline credit for a single airline for non-ticket purchases (good for EC, club passes for friends, et). In addition to that $200, they'll reimburse you the $100 Global Entry application fee if you pay it with your AMEX platinum. And it gets you into several different airport clubs as long as you're flying the associated airline. US Airways clubs you don't even need to be flying their airline to use the card. Another perk is you get Priority Pass Select (www.prioritypass.com/select) which gets you into even more airport clubs. All in all, I think the benefits of the nonbranded card are better than those of the DL flavor, though you don't get the first class companion cert.

Just my opinion.
ANd the am ex reserve doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee.

However the reserve card can give you 30,000 MQM's which is worth it for me. If someone isn't charge enough for MQM's I agree the Plat is a better deal
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
ANd the am ex reserve doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee.
Yeah, that's false.

Also, the secondary people who have a Reserve under your name don't get squat. All that $175 annual fee really allows is for them to have SC access.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Yeah, that's false.

Also, the secondary people who have a Reserve under your name don't get squat. All that $175 annual fee really allows is for them to have SC access.
The Delta branded American Express Reserve card cost $450.00 per year. Not $175.00. I have never had foreign transaction fees waived, if you mean the fees for charging items while visiting other countries. Also, the Sky Club admission is for the primary card holder only. Not for any other
secondary card holders.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Let me type very slowly.

I know the primary AMEX Reserve cost is $450. I also pay $175 for my wife to have a Delta Reserve card with her name on it, but attached to my account. She absolutely gets SC access when she shows that black card to the front desk with her same day DL ticket.

My Reserve card has waived ZERO foreign trax fees for items that I have purchased online from foreign merchants.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:54 pm

No need to type slowly, I am fairly smart. You were just not totally clear, which if I re-read, I can see what you were saying.
I am talking about transactions like where you are in a restaurant and you buy dinner in Paris. You will pay a transaction fee (or currancy fee, whatever you want to call it). Different than what you meant. I was not aware that "secondary card holders" get Sky Club access. I think you may have been lucky. Thinks like that are generally only for the primary holder, but I may stand to be corrected. Like everything else with the Amex cards, it is difficult to find the exact information online. (Like two for one coupons, etc). I thought I remembered something in the original T & C that confirmed things like this for the primary card holder only. Now I will be trying to see if Amex can give me the correct information.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:15 pm

If the secondary Reserve card does give SC access, the $175 fee is cheaper than a SC membership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.