Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

amex Delta Reserve: still upgrade priority?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold

Was thinking of switching to the Reserve this year to increase in spending that would allow me to reach the 30k threshold instead of my regular 25k.
I was browsing the card benefits on the Amex website and cannot find anywhere any mention of the "upgrade priority" benefit (within your status and fare). Is it still a benefit of the card or is it gone?

Thanks.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
It rarely/if ever makes a difference, do not get the card for that reason.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
It rarely/if ever makes a difference, do not get the card for that reason.
Actually, my partner has the card and we hold same status. It happened a few times that he got upgraded and I did not and, more often, he got the upgrade at the window while I had to wait till gate upgrade. In our experience, it does make a difference.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by vgb2001
Actually, my partner has the card and we hold same status. It happened a few times that he got upgraded and I did not and, more often, he got the upgrade at the window while I had to wait till gate upgrade. In our experience, it does make a difference.
Does this benefit only really come into play at the DM level? I'd be tempted but suspect it will do nothing for my lackluster UG rate as a PM.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nittany987
Does this benefit only really come into play at the DM level? I'd be tempted but suspect it will do nothing for my lackluster UG rate as a PM.
The example from above happened while we were PM. I think the car can make the difference between PMs to grab the last upgrade available after all DM and PM on higher fares.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by nittany987
Keep in mind it is only a tie breaker when you are fighting a PM in the same fare class

http://cwsi.net/mupc/

Same goes for DM vs another DM etc.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Delta Points
Keep in mind it is only a tie breaker when you are fighting a PM in the same fare class

http://cwsi.net/mupc/

Same goes for DM vs another DM etc.
Yeah, makes sense. My guess is that this won't be of much help for me. Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: Former Diamond
I am a Diamond and have the reserve card. I know for a fact it got me the upgrade on hub to hub flights (SLC<-->ATL) and I usually book lowest priced economy.

Just food for thought.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG PLAT

I got rid of the card in dec. Since then my UG percentage has been atrocious. I'm not sure if its the lack of card or FCM. :-(
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

So back to the original question: does anybody know if the benefit still exists? I cannot seem to be able to find it on the Amex website describing benefits of the Reserve card.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:03 pm

So back to the original question: does anybody know if the benefit still exists? I cannot seem to be able to find it on the Amex website describing benefits of the Reserve card.
http://skymilesoffers.delta.com/cc_b...reserve_tc.php - Might be for business reserve card, but seems to be yes.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Google is your friend.

http://skymilesoffers.delta.com/us_c...php?cc=Reserve
Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
I got the Delta Reserve card and as a GM I feel it has helped me with upgrades, plus the fact it also includes entry into the Sky Club for myself and 2 guests makes it worth the cost of the card.

On a recent flight traveling with my wife, LGA to RSW on a slut fare on an Airbus with only 12 F seats, I was upgraded at the window, but my wife, who is FO was number 1 on the list at the gate with only 1 seat available and 3 other medallions were listed below her on the gate screen and she got the upgrade, I feel that charging the trip on our Delta Reserve card was the reason she was upgraded ahead of the others on the list.

Mr. Elliott
Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott
I got the Delta Reserve card and as a GM I feel it has helped me with upgrades, plus the fact it also includes entry into the Sky Club for myself and 2 guests makes it worth the cost of the card.

On a recent flight traveling with my wife, LGA to RSW on a slut fare on an Airbus with only 12 F seats, I was upgraded at the window, but my wife, who is FO was number 1 on the list at the gate with only 1 seat available and 3 other medallions were listed below her on the gate screen and she got the upgrade, I feel that charging the trip on our Delta Reserve card was the reason she was upgraded ahead of the others on the list.

Mr. Elliott
You might feel that but it's not the case unless those others on the wait list were FOs on the same fare class. I'm not sure it would help even then as its not her card.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
What doesn't show up on the AMEX site anymore either (which they claim new people will still get) is the free companion. Doesn't show up on PLT or Reserve.

My revent experience out of NY has been that the upgrade lists are MUCH MUCH longer than they used to be before. Perhaps that is because DL is expanding here and people are beginning to realize it is a viable option.

Based on that, assuming the reserve thing is true - I have to assume it makes a difference. If you are a PLT on a K fare, I have to believe there are many other PLT on K fares...this should theoretically help.

I have the DL Reserve Card, but unless you have a buddy with the same status on the flight like the poster above, I have no way to see if it truly made a difference

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.