Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why does FlightStats shows Y/2, B/1 availability but Delta says it's Y/-1?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles, MileagePlus

I'm trying to SDC onto an earlier flight today, and Delta is telling me the flight is oversold (Y/-1). FlightStats puts it at Y/2 B/1, so I'm a little confused what's going on. Obviously I trust Delta, but I mainly want to know why FlightStats is wrong?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It might be oversold even though there is still Y available. DL often oversells flights, so when its down to almost Y0 those last couple seats are likely to be oversells.

However, since there is still Y for sale, you should be able to SDC. If you try to do a dummy booking, can you purchase a ticket on the flight? If so, then call back and try to SDC.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or just try to SDC online. There's no requirement to talk to an agent to SDC. As long as you are not violating the routing rules, you should be able to do it online with no interaction with an agent.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Can't SDC online, as my itinerary was booked through my corporate travel service. When I try to make changes online, it tells me to call.

I just called again and the agent said they are seeing Y/-1 so they can't do it. Apparently, if it's oversold but there are seats available, it's possible. If there are no seats available, then they can't? Is FlightStats ever off?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What do you mean that there are available seats? If you're looking at the seat map, be aware that these are notoriously bad indicators of flight loads.

Try to do a dummy booking on delta.dumb. If they're willing to sell a coach ticket, even at the full Y fare, you should be able to SDC so call again.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Delta.com does not show availability. So now, what I am wondering is why FlightStats says y/2 b/1 and is obviously wrong?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by mspflyer3
Delta.com does not show availability. So now, what I am wondering is why FlightStats says y/2 b/1 and is obviously wrong?
Few websites are perfect... I think DL not selling tickets is a pretty good indicator in this instance.

You could also subscribe to Expert Flyer to track availability.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also if you post the flight info I'm sure one of us with EF can do a quick check to confirm... but if DL isn't selling the flight then thats a pretty good indication that you're not going to be able to SDC.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL DM
Flight and city pair involved?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

DL 4808

point is moot now, as flight leaves in ten min and i'm still at my house. would be interested in seeing what EF said though.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 2:06 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by mspflyer3
DL 4808
That flight is zeroed-out:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.8/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/FS/US]
Code:
MSP  Minneapolis St Paul Intl MN US [KMSP]
LNK  Lincoln Muni NE US [KLNK]
MON  08 Apr 2013

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------
DL/##      4808    MSP   15:10     LNK   16:30     CRJ      Y0 B0 M0 S0 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
DL/##      4708    MSP   19:40     LNK   21:00     CRJ      Y2 B1 M0 S0 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
Old Apr 8, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by rylan
Also if you post the flight info I'm sure one of us with EF can do a quick check to confirm... but if DL isn't selling the flight then thats a pretty good indication that you're not going to be able to SDC.
Will EF/KVS show a negative number if a flight is oversold or just 0 availability, i.e. can you judge how oversold it is? For example, -1 might be worth the risk to go to the airport early & try to standby vs. -5.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
Will EF/KVS show a negative number if a flight is oversold or just 0 availability, i.e. can you judge how oversold it is? For example, -1 might be worth the risk to go to the airport early & try to standby vs. -5.
No, airline availability will not show a negative number. 0 or greater.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'd need access to DL's system to know how negative/oversold they actually are. The bucket inventory just shows what they are willing to sell, not true actual available (or lack thereof) space on the plane.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rylan
You'd need access to DL's system to know how negative/oversold they actually are. The bucket inventory just shows what they are willing to sell, not true actual available (or lack thereof) space on the plane.
Op likely is in DL's system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.