Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pay with Miles change now EARNS MQM's & RDM's if redeemed for 1st or business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pay with Miles change now EARNS MQM's & RDM's if redeemed for 1st or business class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by DCAflyer81
Not sure if we're talking about the same thing, actually. What about if I'm selecting an A fare to pay for, not selecting a coach and hoping to upgrade with miles. So it would be outright purchasing an A (First) fare and partially paying with miles. I think I should be getting MQM's for that per the T&C's but Delta's booking page says in the first instance no mileage accrual but right under that estimates the number of MQM's I'd be getting (which is the correct amt. for an F fare -- confusing)
This!

You've selected a Pay with Miles eligible itinerary. If you choose to Pay with Miles, this itinerary will not be eligible for mileage accrual and may not be eligible for upgrades.
I just did a test run. First, I chose an F fare. The price was $2449. The MQMs would go to 0 then reset to show I would get MQM. It quit resetting at about $2200. So, I assume that is the fare and the remaining $249 is the taxes and fees.

Just for kicks I went back and picked a coach ticket @ $571 and went through the same process. It, too, showed me earning MQMs. It would go to 0 MQM upon clicking a PWM amount and then reset to show full MQM up until I reached the point where I would be using miles to pay for the taxes and fees.

So, right on the purchase page there is contradictory info.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CalVol
I just did a test run. First, I chose an F fare. The price was $2449. The MQMs would go to 0 then reset to show I would get MQM. It quit resetting at about $2200. So, I assume that is the fare and the remaining $249 is the taxes and fees.

Just for kicks I went back and picked a coach ticket @ $571 and went through the same process. It, too, showed me earning MQMs. It would go to 0 MQM upon clicking a PWM amount and then reset to show full MQM up until I reached the point where I would be using miles to pay for the taxes and fees.

So, right on the purchase page there is contradictory info.
I've done the same test, with the same result. There's no way I'm going to use PWM for F until DL fixes this. I just don't trust them.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ryanm
There's no way I'm going to use PWM for F until DL fixes this. I just don't trust them.
Aw, c'mon, it's not like anybody has ever been burned on an issue like this
Old Apr 23, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: Plat Delta
I booked a first class fare last week with PWM for half and the rest on my Amex Reserve. First leg was yesterday and nothing has posted yet. My confirmation page said I'd get miles and MQM. I'll give it another day or so and complain if I have to.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DCAflyer81
Not sure if we're talking about the same thing, actually. What about if I'm selecting an A fare to pay for, not selecting a coach and hoping to upgrade with miles. So it would be outright purchasing an A (First) fare and partially paying with miles. I think I should be getting MQM's for that per the T&C's but Delta's booking page says in the first instance no mileage accrual but right under that estimates the number of MQM's I'd be getting (which is the correct amt. for an F fare -- confusing)
I'm not talking about an ordinary upgrade award using miles. That would require a K+ fare for domestic and upgrade inventory OP or RP. This books into A inventory from apparently any coach fare--I saw it offered on L--and uses PWM for exactly the difference between the A fare and L or whatever.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: Plat Delta
Originally Posted by KatJ
I booked a first class fare last week with PWM for half and the rest on my Amex Reserve. First leg was yesterday and nothing has posted yet. My confirmation page said I'd get miles and MQM. I'll give it another day or so and complain if I have to.
My full miles and MQM (150%) posted today. It actually works! I booked and flew a P fare.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Hmm this is good to know. Throw 10k to take $100 off a $500 ticket in G/A....and still earn. This is going to come in very handy.....
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Before we get too excited, remember that we're still only getting about one cent per mile. The only advantage is that these tickets earn MQMs and RDMs for the entire flight distance.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: SPG-Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Before we get too excited, remember that we're still only getting about one cent per mile. The only advantage is that these tickets earn MQMs and RDMs for the entire flight distance.
And that is the point as you are trading Regular miles in for MQM, all I see is the upside to this option.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As long as this isn't a 'glitch' that DL decided to fix and then those who paid some miles for a F ticket end up getting nothing.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: SPG-Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
As long as this isn't a 'glitch' that DL decided to fix and then those who paid some miles for a F ticket end up getting nothing.
Not a glitch its by design
Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
Originally Posted by InsUW2
Not a glitch its by design
FYI, I went ahead and booked using PWM and did about a 50-50 mix of cash and miles. Even though we've heard reports of no glitches with MQM's posting using this method, I note that on (i) the booking page and (ii) my online itinerary there is still a message that the itinerary will not accrue miles and may not be eligible for upgrades. It are these notes that should be fixed by IT as it is needlessly confusing and such notes should only appear on coach PWM tickets IMO.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Hmm this is good to know. Throw 10k to take $100 off a $500 ticket in G/A....and still earn. This is going to come in very handy.....
unfortunately, those international business fares require a lot of miles to bring down the price.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by InsUW2
And that is the point as you are trading Regular miles in for MQM, all I see is the upside to this option.
I see the point as enabling people doing business travel to have a clearly documented coach fare and still upgrade with miles (the PWM for the upsell) at the time of booking without the usual fare class and upgrade inventory restrictions.

The attractiveness of converting RDM to MQM depends very much on the ratios of miles flown to the price differential, although I cn imagine that there might be some people eager to change RDM into MQM at almost any terms.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
unfortunately, those international business fares require a lot of miles to bring down the price.
Quite true. But atleast in my short term view, $400 to go coach to ATL, and 0% chance of gettin a upgrade out of there....or a $600 ticket toss in 10k miles, becomes only $500, id pay that to secure F. Not the most efficient use of sky pesos ever but eh....what else do i use em for?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.