Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pay with Miles change now EARNS MQM's & RDM's if redeemed for 1st or business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pay with Miles change now EARNS MQM's & RDM's if redeemed for 1st or business class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Exclamation Pay with Miles change now EARNS MQM's & RDM's if redeemed for 1st or business class

If we take a look at the "way back machine" you will see, and as long as I can remember, that pay with miles said:

Pay with Miles tickets are not eligible for mileage accrual, Medallion Qualification Segments, Medallion Qualification Miles, or Best Fare Guarantee.

But now, when we look at the current link for Pay with Miles at Delta.com, we see:

Pay with Miles tickets booked in First or Business Class are eligible for mileage accrual, Medallion Qualification Segments, and Medallion Qualification Miles.

This sure changes things! - THIS IS NO APRIL FOOLS JOKE - just look at Delta.com for yourself!

Also note what MJ posts on #26 in this thread (thanks much MJ btw):

Originally Posted by MJonTravel
FYI, I booked a Pay with Miles itin in First and flew it last week. SkyMiles, MQMs and segments posted as they would with a revenue ticket.

Last edited by Renes Points; Apr 2, 2013 at 2:10 am
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
A positive change...
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
A positive change...
It's April Fools' Day.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's April Fools' Day.
No I don't do that! Just look!
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Hmm, I for sure thought that it was a glitch that they earned MQMs. Looks like it is intentional, and you can now earn MQMs/RDMs on the first/biz pay with miles.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:28 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Pay with miles is only for amex right?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Delta Points
Pay with Miles tickets booked in First or Business Class are eligible for mileage accrual, Medallion Qualification Segments, and Medallion Qualification Miles.
I wonder if they will eventually be eligible for MQDs and, if so, how those will be calculated. IMO, if the tickets are ineligible for MQDs, it is really irrelevant whether they count for MQMs/MQSs or not.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
OMG - are you sure this is not an April Fool's?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
I just tried a dummy booking in F and it said it was not eligible for mileage accrual if purchased with Pay with Miles. Got the same message for both A and full F fares.

Last edited by ryanm; Apr 1, 2013 at 2:35 pm Reason: clarity
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL DM
So if I want to fly to Tokyo in biz, I can pay with 120k miles and $5800usd and earn 15k mqm, or I can fly for free for 120k while not earning any miles.

This seems like a win/win for DL if anyone takes the pay with miles route over redeeming an award for first/business. For the consumer, it would only make sense for domestic First or all Economy tickets, imo.

Last edited by bsagator; Apr 1, 2013 at 2:54 pm
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Re Ryanm's experience--So, either a copy error. Or, DL IT isn't ready to go live yet.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA G; DL G
I just did a test booking on an L fare and an A fare. On L, the calculated MQMs and RDMs were 0 when selecting an amount of Miles to pay with. On the A fare, it calcuated at the 150% proper MQMs. Under both scenaios, I chose $100 off using 10,000 miles.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by ryanm
I just tried a dummy booking in F and it said it was not eligible for mileage accrual if purchased with Pay with Miles. Got the same message for both A and full F fares.
It's not for booking in first and using pay with miles, it is for booking economy, and then paying the difference using miles to get first class. It's a new feature for DL. The Points Guy had a post on it today. However the T&C do make it seem as if it should be any first class fare using pay with miles.

Might be a nice way to help with a MR. If you can find a route with a cheap A fare, you could use miles to offset the cost and get50% MQM bonus, and improve your cpm in terms of MQM accrual. You definitely lose out on RDMs, but with most people getting a 2.5x 2.75x multiplier on RDMs, you can probably recoup a lot of what you spent.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
-----
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roknroll
It's not for booking in first and using pay with miles, it is for booking economy, and then paying the difference using miles to get first class. It's a new feature for DL. The Points Guy had a post on it toda.
No this is different. That is a test only market. This is booking 100% with miles in 1st or biz class! Notice the wording on Delta.com that ECONOMY tickets are NOT eligible.

Last edited by Renes Points; Apr 1, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.