Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Big Changes for SDC in the works?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
This is the great thing about FT, it took less than 24 hrs for something totally unknown to pretty much everyone to be common knowledge
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Called the desk...agent said she had heard "something was in the works for nearly a year" but didn't know the details. Anyone else have any luck? I'm truly mildly depressed...this was one of my top favorite perks when combined with the excellent platinum phone line.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by HongKonger
DL has no way of knowing which agent you spoke with. Either way looks like someone already spilled the beans.
If DL didn't want us to know about this now, then they wouldn't have told the GA's!
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, AA Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
I have to admit I didn't take the time to read through the entire thread, but I just spoke with the DM Desk about this.

Although the agent was very hesitant in the beginning (and put me on hold for 10 minutes to "verify" something), he eventually told me:
- There will be a "nominal" fee, which will still be waived for DMs.
- SDC will likely be based on the purchased fare (i.e. SDC only as long as there's availability in the purchased booking class).
- These changes are to be implemented "mid-April."
- An e-mail communication regarding this topic will be sent out "shortly."

One side note, regarding the comment that the DL reps will announce the changes officially on FT: Based on "Dwayne's" inglorious involvement in the on-going thread regarding SkyMiles expiring after a member's death, I'm afraid we'll just see 1-2 matter-of-fact-like official posts regarding the SDC changes and that's it. But I may be wrong.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by orca15
Called the desk...agent said she had heard "something was in the works for nearly a year" but didn't know the details. Anyone else have any luck? I'm truly mildly depressed...this was one of my top favorite perks when combined with the excellent platinum phone line.
"In the works for nearly a year" sounds bigger than just removing a fee waiver...
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pilluelo
- SDC will likely be based on the purchased fare (i.e. SDC only as long as there's availability in the purchased booking class).
If true, that is effectively the death of SDC and any kind of same day travel flexibility.

We all know by now that with planes flying full, you're only likely to find Y or B fares available within a few hours of departure. Trying to find an A- or K- fare isn't going to happen.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Already sent a message of concern this is awful

This is the bad side of FT...three extra weeks of denial/depression/anger....maybe by the time it comes out I will be up to acceptance.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by rylan
If true, that is effectively the death of SDC and any kind of same day travel flexibility.

We all know by now that with planes flying full, you're only likely to find Y or B fares available within a few hours of departure. Trying to find an A- or K- fare isn't going to happen.
If this is true, this is a huge dimunition of what I consider one of the "soft" benefits of DM. For me, aside from upgrades, there isn't much value in DM, but these other benefits (including unpublished co-terminal SDC changes, bending certain rules now and then) have been much of what's want to keep my loyalty high enough with Delta to maintain DM. Seems like more MBAs gone wild...
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
"In the works for nearly a year" sounds bigger than just removing a fee waiver...
I think its more of an IT issue delaying implementation. Other projects took priority as well.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I think its more of an IT issue delaying implementation. Other projects took priority as well.
Yes, all of the resources were focused on perfecting the release of a new DL website!
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
If this is true, this is a huge dimunition of what I consider one of the "soft" benefits of DM. For me, aside from upgrades, there isn't much value in DM, but these other benefits (including unpublished co-terminal SDC changes, bending certain rules now and then) have been much of what's want to keep my loyalty high enough with Delta to maintain DM. Seems like more MBAs gone wild...
That would make an excellent video series to be sold via late-night infomercials on cable networks targeted at testosterone-addled young men.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Over in the mega-SDC thread I had a short back and forth with one of the posters who I think works for DL. S/he said this had been in the works for quite some time. And at that point the projected start date was 3/21. But that date was fluid. Someone followed up that the Connection carriers had been fully briefed on the change also.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
This is the single benefit that keeps my flying DL. By the end of the first quarter, I will have almost had enough flights to qualify for GM next year, with more than enough spend for that level. This could be the one thing that would make me shop airlines.

I have called the PM line and SM#, but both played dumb.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:40 am

Is this airline trying to destroy all incentives for domestic business travelers? First they made the miles nearly worthless; then they are trying to make it harder to qualify for status (MQDs)... and lastly they are going to gut SDC? Folks, the only thing standing between them and Southwest/Spirit are the coach Biscoff cookies!
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Which airlines allow free changes for elites?

I just called DL and had much of this confirmed. D/P/G will treated the same, but only certain fares will be eligible for SDC without fee. My assumption is this will be the new M-Fare benefit. Everything lower than that will be, my guess, a charge to SDC.

The other question that couldn't be answered was if SB was going away as a perk for us. I might be able to live with SB, as it still gets me on the plane earlier. The truth is, if they get rid of free SDC but keep free SB, there likely wouldn't be any impact to me. When I don't get SDC, I usually head to the airport for SB anyway.

Even though my company would pay the fee without question, this bothers me enough to start shopping airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.