Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Official Opening date of JFK T4 is May 24

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Natl Exec

Hi all, while I was booking my flight for JFK-SFO in May I came across this:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...me-at-jfk.html

Did anyone notice this? I looked around FT and haven't seen anyone post yet. Looks like the official opening date for the new JFK T4 is May 24. There is also a dedicated facebook page with great videos, pictures, and a countdown.

https://www.facebook.com/delta/app_349094998536390

Lucky me, I am flying JFK-SFO May 24th! I'm on the 5pm flight so I may just have to head to JFK early

Unfortunately, no TSA pre-check...Of course, I am basing this assumption on 2 things. No mention of it on the DL.com page, nor do I see JFK T4 on this list from the TSA. Hopefully this changes. http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/fil...03-18-2013.pdf

Mods, please merge as appropriate.

Last edited by NYCflip; Mar 21, 2013 at 11:02 am
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:44 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Great find, I don't think it's been announced publicly yet!

I wish it were a week earlier when I am actually in NYC ... though I wouldn't mind flying to NYC for a Sky Deck DO if one is arranged
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:56 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Just saw this on the above DL.com page:

Please also note that the cutoff time for checked baggage at JFK is 60 minutes prior to departure.

Has it always been 60 minutes? Seems to me I've checked bags less than 60.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Woot! I'll be flying LHR-JFK-CVG on 5/28, so I'll get to see this bad boy first-hand.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Yes, bag-check cutoff at JFK has been 60 minutes for a while. It surprised me once a year or two ago when I got to T2 just under the 60-minute mark and they made me sign a voluntary-bag-separation waiver. So I checked, and it was indeed 60 minutes.

I'll be arriving at JFK on May 27. Glad I'll get to see the new terminal facilities, instead of dingey old T3. And frankly glad I won't be there on Day 1.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:14 am

What this probably really means is, T3 will be closed permanently on 24 May, since T4 is, of course, already open.

Sounds "less controversial" this way I suppose.

I wonder if the T3-Airtrain/parking lot bridge, "temporarily" closed in October 2012 due to Sandy, will reopen by then?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I'm at JFK May 20-23. Go figure.

But may hop up once it's open to check it out. Cheap to fly to JFK from DCA.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by NYCflip
Unfortunately, no TSA pre-check.
I was really hoping for pre-check. Did DL confirm that T4 will not have it, or has it simply not been mentioned yet? I didn't see anything about pre-check on either link but maybe I missed it.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by davetravels
Just saw this on the above DL.com page:

Please also note that the cutoff time for checked baggage at JFK is 60 minutes prior to departure.

Has it always been 60 minutes? Seems to me I've checked bags less than 60.
Last month I finished my job early and was racing to the airport from Kenilworth, NJ hoping to catch the last flight of the night back to SFO. I was going to be arriving at the rental car center right around T-65min and still had to check bags but figured I'd easily be at check in at T-45 or earlier. I was pretty surprised when the phone agent told me the baggage cutoff was 60 min and that she didn't recommend me losing my confirmed flight the following day.

Instead I just returned the car and booked it to the counter, arriving at T-50. The agent had no problem putting me on the flight, and made it on just 5 mins before they started clearing upgrades. He made no mention of a baggage waiver or anything, and the bags showed up just fine in SFO.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Hi all, while I was booking my flight for JFK-SFO in May I came across this:

You did notice that JFK-SFO/LAX will be a dedicated T2 gate destination

Unfortunately, no TSA pre-check.
Although not good news - the bigger issue is now is the fact that T4 does not have any Skypriority lines (do not know this first hand - just what has been reported).

I am shocked DL is hiding under a rock on this and not saying it
Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Although not good news - the bigger issue is now is the fact that T4 does not have any Skypriority lines (do not know this first hand - just what has been reported).

I am shocked DL is hiding under a rock on this and not saying it
Per http://www.tfac-jfk.org/ this is temporary.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by amejr999
Per http://www.tfac-jfk.org/ this is temporary.
true - but a significant issue for flyers in the interim
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:39 am

That's "currently", though; transcon flights are moving to T4 when it opens.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: DL GM
I am doing JFK to Sfo on fri 5-17. Is the "opening" and the "official opening" the same day? Was just wondering if it will be open before its officially open. If that makes any sense! I'd think they would give everything a few days to work the bugs out before closing down T 3.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Natl Exec
That's where it currently is. All transcons are moving to T4.

My assumption is that it won't be that crazy on opening day as many of the changes will roll out gradually (security check, etc). I really wanna see the new SC. Will be nice to have the option to use either the Oasis lounge or the new club.

I agree with GaryD that this will be the date that T3 officially closes. Hopefully we will hear from DLCorpgalNYC soon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.