Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weird Disrupted Flight Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
They might have to find an O29 keypunch somewhere first. The last one I saw was in a museum.
No, a 29 is too modern, they use a 26 keypunch (Notice how much they like uppercase )
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I've had a similar situation happen to me, as a GM on a one-stop itinerary. First flight was delayed, so I went online to rebook and one of my options was a later connecting flight, with a confirmed upgrade.

Passenger next to me on that flight was also a GM though, and said upgrade cleared 4 days out. (BTW she was hot, but that's beside the point.)
Old Mar 22, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: W/P1.9MM & Charter+ DL Diamond 2.15MM, AA EXP 1.95MM, AS MVP .6MM, O/P .9MM, A/C & S/C
Strange upgrade

Originally Posted by steveholt
Was wondering if anybody had ever seen this one before. Flying MCO->BOS today in Economy (as an FO, 5th in a 9-person list for 2 first-class seats) and my flight was delayed a half hour. On a lark, decided to click the Find Other Flights button on delta.com to see if there was a better mileage route available and was given several options, most of which were in First or Business. Bizarrely, though, one of the options was a First seat on the flight I was currently booked on. I clicked through and was upgraded to a seat in First. Ticket was confirmed and I immediately printed out my boarding pass.

Any idea why I was able to do this? This seems like a really cheap way to jump the upgrade list and get upgraded with even a 20-30 minute delay.
Where were you when you did this? How did you access delta.com? How did you print your boarding pass?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by flyerslc
Mr. Moderator,
Tear down this thread!
yep have to agree with you - tricks of the trade
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Steve Holt!!! (raises arms in Steve Holt fashion..)
Old Mar 23, 2013, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Everyone wants to brag about their find. Next time call Corporate Customer Care and brag about what you did and save the middle step of posting it here, because you've essentially alerted the authorities as it is.
Mentioning an unlikely, rule-breaking upgrade on a two-hour flight hardly qualifies for bragging around here. What am I taking away by mentioning this? In the absolute worst case, this gets fixed and the upgrade gets processed properly and goes to the right person. That wouldn't have benefited me on that particular flight, but overall, that would be a good thing, not a bad thing.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by steveholt
Mentioning an unlikely, rule-breaking upgrade on a two-hour flight hardly qualifies for bragging around here. What am I taking away by mentioning this? In the absolute worst case, this gets fixed and the upgrade gets processed properly and goes to the right person. That wouldn't have benefited me on that particular flight, but overall, that would be a good thing, not a bad thing.
Agreed. I don't see how people can get angry at Shena but support taking advantage of this.

Nonetheless, this is a good opportunity for a...

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
Old Mar 26, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PLT/2MM
I was just recently the victim of this technique on a delayed flight from MCO-DTW. Very painful being left as #1 on the upgrade list.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 6:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by cawa
I was just recently the victim of this technique on a delayed flight from MCO-DTW. Very painful being left as #1 on the upgrade list.
Are you guessing, or did you see something that gives you certainty? Just wondering whether there are telltale signs that I should look out for on my next flight.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:34 pm

Putting aside the trick of booking onto the original flight.

Is it correct that in all cases if you rebook on the website due to a flight delay (and I have seen the opportunity to rebook with only a 10 minuted delay) your upgrade priority is the same as if you had purchased a Y fare?

So, a Gold on an X fare would then be ahead of an Diamond on an M fare for a battlefield upgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.