Search

Weird Disrupted Flight Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:32 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Carpboy823
This is almost certainly what happened - an IROPs Y booking. I've had my same flight show up on the app with FC availability to rebook before, but I've only gotten error messages when trying to do so, which IMO is correct (if the glitch is going to let me see the flight at all, that is). I haven't had IROPs since the new app rolled out to Android, though, so I don't know the behavior now. Good ol' Delta IT.
If there was R available when the OP rebooked wouldn't those on the list have already cleared until R=0?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
I've seen this option before! I was afraid to hit rebook thinking it would bork something and I might lose my current (Y) seat on that flight entirely.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:17 am

I would not be surprised if there was some rule buster out there designed to entice people to self-book onto other flights. The real issue seems to be that you can book into your current flight.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
I did something similar to this knowing I was trying to game the system and it worked as I had hoped. Booked on the 5:55 PM DTW-LAX, I SDC'd to the 7:50 at 4:50 PM knowing it was delayed already by about 40 minutes per the website and the screens at the airport. As soon as I did that, I was able to log in, check in, get the delay message, change back to the flight I was originally booked on at 5:55 and get the Y fare IRROP upgrade. Before I did this, I was 8th on the list for 4 seats and was not looking good for a upgrade.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by kss5555
I did something similar to this knowing I was trying to game the system and it worked as I had hoped. Booked on the 5:55 PM DTW-LAX, I SDC'd to the 7:50 at 4:50 PM knowing it was delayed already by about 40 minutes per the website and the screens at the airport. As soon as I did that, I was able to log in, check in, get the delay message, change back to the flight I was originally booked on at 5:55 and get the Y fare IRROP upgrade. Before I did this, I was 8th on the list for 4 seats and was not looking good for a upgrade.
You are a huge Ham Sandwich kryptonium gamer.

Can this thread be blanked and deleted ASAP.

Sincerely,
Turkey Sandwich
Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by kss5555
That is brilliant.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by steveholt
To clarify - originally was booked into U. Didn't use miles to upgrade -- when I referenced "better mileage route", I was referring to the possibility of changing my BOS->MCO direct flight to connect through ATL or MSP for additional EQM.

The IROPs moving me into Y makes sense. I also had the ability to upgrade into biz/first on many of the other available flights.
I assuming you meant MCO-> BOS as you state in your original quote. But either way, this makes it seem that you dont have to rebook to another fligths and can IROP into your current flight. very interesting.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Skipping the UG list... just what Shena ordered. Can't really rejoice about this one.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
The can't/won't fix the award calendar, but I bet they fix this glitch ASAP.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:43 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Which is a good thing, right?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
And by bringing this dead chipmunk back to their masters, the lurking social media reps can feel they did something useful today.

We gotta start discussing these things in code.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by steveholt
Was wondering if anybody had ever seen this one before. Flying MCO->BOS today in Economy (as an FO, 5th in a 9-person list for 2 first-class seats) and my flight was delayed a half hour. On a lark, decided to click the Find Other Flights button on delta.com to see if there was a better mileage route available and was given several options, most of which were in First or Business. Bizarrely, though, one of the options was a First seat on the flight I was currently booked on. I clicked through and was upgraded to a seat in First. Ticket was confirmed and I immediately printed out my boarding pass.

Any idea why I was able to do this? This seems like a really cheap way to jump the upgrade list and get upgraded with even a 20-30 minute delay.
Come on, Steve Holt, why would you ever publicize this? I've worked this deal on several occasions in the last 4-6 months... Even noticed some metal tags clang their way back to steerage a few times and giggled.

If DL fixes this, I'm coming to find you...

Steve Holt!!!
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:15 pm

Mr. Moderator,
Tear down this thread!
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
They might have to find an O29 keypunch somewhere first. The last one I saw was in a museum.

The loyalty program software (thank you, NW) on the back end tracks fare paid vs. fare flown, but the reservation system still uses code spit out of keypunches in the 1960's.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL DM (.00123 MM), UA 1P, Marriott PLT, HI GLD, SW PLT
Originally Posted by northwest_buckeye
If DL fixes this, I'm coming to find you...
Yeah, like the fuel dumping that got posted to a blog, and then was magically fixed.

I once saw a *A glitch that allowed me to double dip on miles. Book a flight on US and link your UA number. Fly, get credit on UA, then go to US and request credit. This was about 4 years ago. Not sure if it still works, but at the time I DIDN'T POST IT IN A PUBLIC FORUM.

Everyone wants to brag about their find. Next time call Corporate Customer Care and brag about what you did and save the middle step of posting it here, because you've essentially alerted the authorities as it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.