Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Quick VDB Question For Friend In Transit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quick VDB Question For Friend In Transit

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
My last international bump was $600 for about a 6 hour delay and an extra connection with a BE ticket -- went into BE.
Last successful domestic bump was $400 for no delay -- went from DCA-ATL-MDW to DCA-CVG-ORD.
Last weekend didn't take $400 and a meal voucher for MSP-PDX, the switch was to MSP-DTW-PDX and a 9 hour delay. No guarantee of kind and EF suggested I was going to be in the middle in the back. Ugh!
And wasn't accepted for PDX-MSP-DCA. I offered to take the red eye, depending on the offer but the agent was only looking for PDX-MSP passengers and only offering $200. He got all he needed -- the delay was about 2 1/2 hours.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:19 am

My wife is flying Delta tonight, ATL-LHR. They are lowballing her for compensation and say the maximum offer you can input is $400. Will that offer go up once she gets to the airport? BTW the minimum bid they post is $50 and the max was $125. They are hoping to find a sucker.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kpassa
My wife is flying Delta tonight, ATL-LHR. They are lowballing her for compensation and say the maximum offer you can input is $400. Will that offer go up once she gets to the airport? BTW the minimum bid they post is $50 and the max was $125. They are hoping to find a sucker.
A lot depends on the available re-routing and timing. To be rebooked on an earlier nonstop or to be rerouted with an upgrade may not deserve much compensation.

ADDED. IIRC some folks here have mentioned that high compensation may require a redcoat or approval of a supervisor.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A lot depends on the available re-routing and timing. To be rebooked on an earlier nonstop or to be rerouted with an upgrade may not deserve much compensation.
The next available flight would be over 8 hours later and there are only 2 nonstops per day.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: DL Skymiles FO, Marriott Rewards, Hilton HHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
@TTT & DaveTravels

Sorry guys, didn't see your posts at first. They actually called me on my cell phone about 3 hours before the flight. The call came from the DL main number, 800-221-1212. It was quite a shock, I was expecting an automated message to tell me my flight was delayed or something. Agent came on and asked if my wife and I (same PNR) were willing to give up our seats for two seats on the next flight for $200 TCV's each. I asked her if she could sweeten the deal with a some additional comp or confirmed seats in F (since we were booked in Y), and she immediately came back with with the two confirmed F seats. Thus we were sold, and worked out quite well for us as we were running behind and the original flight would have been a squeeze for us anyway. Had no idea they were doing this over the phone, we were going to try for a VDB at the airport since our schedule was pretty flexible. Have to give DL kudos on this one, this is a great idea!
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Kpassa
Maximum bids online (or at the kiosk) are often arbitrarily low. Bids don't mean anything anyway.

I believe that the maximum a GA can offer for a domestic flight is usually $400.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
For domestic flights, my rules are...
Less than 2 hours: $200
2-4 hours: $400
4+ hours or overnight: $600 + hotel if applicable
International (assumed to be overnight): $1000
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by WidgetHead
@TTT & DaveTravels

They actually called me on my cell phone about 3 hours before the flight.
Similar situation coming back from PHX to DCA first weekend of Jan but without the cash. Got a call to my cell at the hotel in PHX about 3 hours before scheduled departure. The agent introduced himself as a PHX local agent and indicated that the 757 to MSP had been swapped from a 300 to a 200 -- would I be willing to fly through ATL instead, leaving 10 minutes earlier and arriving about 30 minutes earlier (as I recall).
I had the upgrade for MSP-DCA but was on the waiting list for PHX-MSP. I asked about the upgrades and the agent said he would take care of me on both flights PHX-ATL-MSP. No VDB, but I got both upgrades, arrived early, and got ORC for the extra 70 or so miles if I'd flown through MSP.

This kind of proactive work by DL agents is really smart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.