Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Diverted Flight. Should I expect something?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2013, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond;AA Gold; UA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Plat

Just wondering if I should expect some miles or something for a diversion and five hour delay? My flight to LGA on Thursday ended up being diverted back upstate to where we started, where we sat around until they finally decided to try the flight again. It was as if the first 2 hours of hell circling over Putnam county never existed with gusts over 60 kts never happened. Although it did screw my plans and meetings for the day, I'm not upset enough to complain...but I'll never pass up some bonus miles for my troubles.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 1:44 pm

You seriously want compensation for a weather-related diversion?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond;AA Gold; UA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Plat
No, just wondering. I've gotten at least two that were purely weather related. Got one a month ago for a snow storm and about a year ago when a tornado ripped nearby the airport. Never asked for anything in both cases.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I don't think that OP ought to feel obligated to give DL any compensation for looking out for his safety. A thank you might be nice.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
Originally Posted by PowerFlyer
No, just wondering. I've gotten at least two that were purely weather related. Got one a month ago for a snow storm and about a year ago when a tornado ripped nearby the airport. Never asked for anything in both cases.
In the past year or two, actually had my first two diversions. One was during some snow in MSP, where we had to divert to Sioux Falls (annoying b/c we were quite close to MSP and had just started down when they closed a runway to begin plowing -- earlier the captain had described the snow as light, guess not!) and another was DCA-SLC but we ended up in CVG (not weather-related). Finally, had a third flight MSP-DCA, where we made it to about Lake Michigan and some sort of warning light came on or something, and we turned back to MSP. Unfortunately, that flight cancelled and were stuck in MSP for the night. In each case, I did not receive anything or ask for anything. Although maybe I should have, esp. for the mechanical situation. The CVG one was medical, so totally understood nothing they could do about it (other than, maybe the passenger shouldn't have boarded not feeling well, considering the call for a doc came on no more than 10 mins into the flight!)
Old Mar 1, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Had similar experience a few yrs back. 1 min from landing in HPN when we suddenly climbed, circled for 45 min then was diverted to Rochester NY. Was given two options 1. Take the plane back to MSP and fly back next day or 2. on my own.

Rented a car and drove 6 hrs to get home. Client picked up the rental car so did not try to get comp.

Another time more recent my connection in DTW to Grand Rapids showed cancelled then halfway on the road in a rental car showed just delayed and DL picked up the tab for the rental car and some miles.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
... It was as if the first 2 hours of hell circling over Putnam county never existed with gusts over 60 kts never happened....
Wow, Putnam County is tiny. Those must have been very tight circles. I have a house in Putnam Co. After two hours of jet noise overhead we had to do something to get rid of you.

But seriously, safety first. Be glad so many aviation professionals are looking out for our safety everyday.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 3:20 pm

OP, You have already received the best compensation: two take-offs and landings for the price of one. Its like extra-innings at a ball game: free-baseball. What could be better than free flying?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 3:57 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
It was as if the first 2 hours of hell circling over Putnam county. . . .
Originally Posted by Indelaware
OP, You have already received the best compensation: two take-offs and landings for the price of one. What could be better than free flying?
. . . . . all the extra miles he'll receive for all that circling!

Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Just wondering if I should expect some miles or something for a diversion and five hour delay? My flight to LGA on Thursday ended up being diverted back upstate to where we started, where we sat around until they finally decided to try the flight again. It was as if the first 2 hours of hell circling over Putnam county never existed with gusts over 60 kts never happened. Although it did screw my plans and meetings for the day, I'm not upset enough to complain...but I'll never pass up some bonus miles for my troubles.
You planned meetings for the day of travel... as in expecting the airline to get you there reliably?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:42 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
You planned meetings for the day of travel... as in expecting the airline to get you there reliably?
As the owner of a limo company here in PIT, I can't tell'ya how often we will have an airport pick-up, and 45 minutes after the scheduled flight arrival, customers will call us and ask why their guests aren't there yet - - keeping in mind that it's a 30 minute drive during non-rush hour, not to mention the time it takes to go from airside to landside, rest room pit stops, wait for the driver to retrieve the car, and of course, planes are alwayz on time . . . . .

Sometimes they'll say - He has a meeting with us at . . . . Yeah, and why didn't he take an earlier flight?

Last edited by davetravels; Mar 1, 2013 at 4:50 pm
Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
*facepalm* for the OP
Old Mar 1, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
Hook-up with PVG. She's want compensation for getting caught cheating!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.