Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Enhancing Transcon Service in All Cabins, Moving Transcons to T4 at JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 5:29 pm

Yea how about some love for JFK-PHX/SAN/PDX and possibly LAS/DEN... Would love to have 737-800's with AVOD on these routes all the time and then offer the same amenities in Economy Comfort and Free movies in Y etc.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by wrytoast
(I mean, even though I don't love Starbucks, anything has to be better than the steeped pencil shavings they're serving now, right?)
Those pencil shavings are supplied by Starbucks subsidiary Seattle's Best.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
DLcorpgirl: Thanks for the update. Could you pass this along: Many of us don't rely on food for purchase because it sometimes runs out. I think that a real enhancement on this route would be to offer full meal service in Y, similar to international Y, and possibly sell supplements to this. Otherwise, this is great news and very much appreciated--I fly this route quite often.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I think that a real enhancement on this route would be to offer full meal service in Y, similar to international Y, and possibly sell supplements to this.
+1 to this... the question of course is would DL be able to sustain an upcharge on Y fares in exchange for this. Probably not.

As an alternative, perhaps make Y meals included with EC... that might get some traction. This would actually be pretty equivalent to VX MCS, which includes food, booze, entertainment, and extra leg room.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MileCards
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Nice move - upping the distance vs UA VS and AA.

And can buy premium wine in coach (Meomi) as well.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/del...hts-2013-02-22
Transcons are the most competitive routes in the marketplace today. Even Virgin America is putting out more service on these routes along with service from Newark as well. UA, B6, VS, AA, DL

VS has a small route network and isn't doing too well financially though it gets high reviews. B6 has a larger route network and is well liked as well. UA is huge but not rated as well. AA also doesn't get too high marks right now and the future is uncertain as to how they will hold up. DL is the most well liked legacy carrier with a very large route network.

I really wonder how all 5 airlines are able to support this highly competitive route and how booked the flights are on all 5 carriers.

At least now the Delta Transcon product will be quite competitive. Sounds like for a frequent business traveler with a lot of money to spend on flying, Delta is likely going to be a superior offering. DL seems to be the best revenue generator of the lot by offering premium service for a premium price.

As a consumer if I was a frequent business flyer I would be found on DL Transcon if I could afford it. Otherwise either B6 or VS. AA tends to get the lower priced corporate contracts or consumers where AA just happens to be the cheapest priced flight or has availability.

DL still has the JFK terminal limitation till May no matter what.

Last edited by adamj023; Feb 22, 2013 at 7:46 pm
Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:34 pm

Delta flights are always full in my experience.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by adamj023
At least now the Delta Transcon product will be quite competitive.
Frankly, I think they are the most competitive now. The only thing that's missing is 3-class F like AA, although the main difference between F and J on AA will be direct aisle access on the A321, something that DL will offer in BE.

Is this in response to UA downgrading its p.s. product? F is disappearing, and they are going from an all E+ cabin to E+/E- combination?

Btw y'all, VS = Virgin Atlantic; Virgin America = VX . What premium experience does VX offer that it doesn't already offer on all other flights? One would think that they'd have free Loft access at LAX for transcons for F pax, but they don't ....
Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:54 pm

I don't think DL will offer direct aisle access on the 757's, only the 763's.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:57 pm

I don't think DL will offer direct aisle access on the 757's, only the 763's.
Correct, the 757s will be 2-2, the 763s will be 1-2-1. But still competitive or more competitive than other J class options.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by DLCorpGalNYC
The 767s that will start being phased into the transcon routes next month have 29 Economy Comfort seats. The 757s that we're modifying to eventually dedicate to transcon will have 44 Economy Comfort seats. (http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1757)
Will special transcon expand to other routes? I'm thinking BOS-LAX could get it. Highly competitive route already with other airlines, and as of now DL is restarting it with a 75X as a LAX-BOS redeye turning to a early-morning BOS-LAX. Change it to a 75E and bump it up to 2x per day.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Dovster
I will be flying TLV-JFK on May 7, landing at Terminal 4, and then getting on a 757-200 to LAS. Is there any chance that my LAS flight will leave from Terminal 4?
Well, you should considering come to PHX this time. You aren't going to LAS anymore. Next time, if I see you in Vegas. I'll throw you out.

Delta flights are always full in my experience.
Yes, always full for everyday. There is no seat available.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by N830MH
Well, you should considering come to PHX this time. You aren't going to LAS anymore. Next time, if I see you in Vegas. I'll throw you out.
I have to go to LAS. It is the only chance I have to visit my money.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by wrytoast
You guys missed the most important part of this announcement:

"Starbucks coffee for all transcontinental customers beginning this summer."

There's a slight possibility that there might actually be some drinkable coffee on DL sometime in the near future!

(I mean, even though I don't love Starbucks, anything has to be better than the steeped pencil shavings they're serving now, right?)
No because the water on airplanes is filthy (not DL-specific).

Also coffee seems especially prone to the phenomenon of food/drink tasting different at altitude.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by N830MH
You should play games where you can actually make money like poker.

Or learn to count cards...
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:58 pm

Stop bringing chocolates for the DL FAs -- bring them for the dealers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.