Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The CRJ 200 fleet is getting out of hand...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The CRJ 200 fleet is getting out of hand...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Are you going to go on this very website and tell frequent fliers that you have never taken a delay on any of the RJ fleet? Tell us Mark Richt also has 7 National Championships at UGA so we know you are kidding...
Drop dead serious. Of course I'm really lucky because its very rare that i deal with delays at all.

And I am Atlanta based....no delays on an RJ.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
Drop dead serious. Of course I'm really lucky because its very rare that i deal with delays at all.

And I am Atlanta based....no delays on an RJ.
I fly through ATL at least twice a week.

Are you going to tell me that Aaron Murray is 6'4" ?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:34 am
Taz

Programs: DL PM
AZO must be one of those markets that is well suited to aircraft the size of the CRJ200, because that's all we've seen from DL for the last 5-6 years. Aircraft interiors just keep getting filthier and nastier. I used to email them every time I got on one that was markedly awful (always made sure I told them I wasn't looking for compensation, just wanted them to know how filthy the plane was) but gave up because it got to the point where I'd be sending that email for every flight. Clearly, they don't care as long as the plane is airworthy. We've seen some switchover recently to ERJ's but my first flight on one of those won't be for a couple of weeks. Hopefully it's better.

As far as cancellations and delays go, people who fly from AZO regularly know not to book the last 2 flights in at night or the first 2 out in the morning because they cancel fairly often.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For some markets, the CRJ-200 is the right size. If they're eliminated, some places will lose all DL service and other routes will reduce the frequency, making connections much less convenient and more risky. Be careful what you wish for....
If 50-seat RJs didn't exist, I suspect LNK would lose most scheduled air service. You'd probably see UA bring in one flight in the morning and one in the evening from ORD and DL would pull out of the market completely. Last year I flew to GTR, which is not EAS but could as well be. Their only service is 2-3 CTT™s from ATL each day. I think we'll continue to see these birds in service, but it would be nice to see them eliminated on some routes like OMA-DTW. Can't figure out why OMA-MSP gets some mainline and the rest RJs with F but DTW has a bunch of CTT™s.

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
As much as I hate the CRJ....I have never once taken a delay or canceled flight with any. 200/700/900. (and i fly the little ones a good bit)
I'd been lucky for quite a while. Then I got stuck in MSP for hours a couple weeks back. The CTT™ took off from ISN that morning and 13 minutes later was back on the ground at ISN. Given that ISN has just started getting CTT™s as a result of oilfield traffic, it appears they had to wait for the next flight from MSP to bring in a part. That flight went in the afternoon. Then they had to fix the plane and send it to MSP for my flight to LNK. Apparently there wasn't a spare aircraft anywhere in MSP for us to use. It was weird being in the C SC during a snowstorm, watching flights being delayed by WX, and knowing that my delay was pretty much 100% MX.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Is there data out there that shows how often the 200s delay and cancel? My personal experiences of late are frustratingly poor. I will add I have made status on segments since the first Clinton administration... I have flown on these things with frequency for a long time and either I have had a bad run of luck or they are unable to fly a lot more often...

Also, are they under some sort of MO to tape em up and keep em going? The interiors on them are officially shot ... Speaking of tape , there were balls of tape lodged inside the window of the emergency exit door... They appeared to have been intentionally installed. It was kind of disconcerting ... I am sure it was not dangerous, but the fact that people who fix the plane would do that makes you wonder...
I doubt the issue is the CRJ-200 itself. Blame lies solely with the regional operator. ASA in particular is one that I've always had a terrible time with. Don't be fooled by the fact that they changed their name to ExpressJet; it's still crappy ASA.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by realjd
I doubt the issue is the CRJ-200 itself. Blame lies solely with the regional operator. ASA in particular is one that I've always had a terrible time with. Don't be fooled by the fact that they changed their name to ExpressJet; it's still crappy ASA.
Yet, the 700s and 900s are not being treated this way....
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Agree there, the 700/900s have sparkling interiors compared to the 200s. They also seem to be able to actually cool the 700/900 at the gate, whereas the 200s are stinky ovens. Personally I've never had an MX delay on a 900, but have had plenty on 200s over the years.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: I don't travel anymore
I have really great luck at SBN with CRJ-200s. Aside from the cramped interior, they offer a much more flexible connecting schedule.

That being said...yeah, the interiors. Awful. Gouges, rips, cracks, etc. Really makes you wonder.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I love all of the tape keeping the overheads and windows together also.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:19 am

I was on N8968E to DTW the other day and the exit door raft rope was hanging into 9D's seat because the door was broken off. I just kept that a little secret as I didn't want to wait for a fix.

Personally, I avoid DTW not because of the CR2, but because of DL's lack of DGS $9.60/hr staff that meet the planes. On my 15-min flight, we sometimes spend more time waiting on DGS ground staff than we do in-flight.

Delta pays great lip-service to the $1B's spent in NYC, now if they truly start people out at $9.60/hr to work the RJ ramps, there's no reason they can't invest in improvements for their CR2 ground service at DTW. At least make what time customers have to spend on those aircraft a minimum.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: I don't travel anymore
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
I was on N8968E to DTW the other day and the exit door raft rope was hanging into 9D's seat because the door was broken off. I just kept that a little secret as I didn't want to wait for a fix.

Personally, I avoid DTW not because of the CR2, but because of DL's lack of DGS $9.60/hr staff that meet the planes. On my 15-min flight, we sometimes spend more time waiting on DGS ground staff than we do in-flight.

Delta pays great lip-service to the $1B's spent in NYC, now if they truly start people out at $9.60/hr to work the RJ ramps, there's no reason they can't invest in improvements for their CR2 ground service at DTW. At least make what time customers have to spend on those aircraft a minimum.
Agreed. I get the same at ATL, even with mainline service.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
When they added F a year or two ago, did they do a full refurb of the interior? I've noticed that they seem cleaner also.

Tripit just informed me that my upcoming ASA - sorry, ExpressJet - flight was just delayed half an hour. The inbound is delayed 45 minutes. It begins...
Old Feb 21, 2013, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by tristar76
Agreed. I get the same at ATL, even with mainline service.
I find at ATL I'm very rarely stuck waiting for a gate because of ground staff, do they have to share ramp staff between planes as they do at DTW B/C gates?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: W/P1.9MM & Charter+ DL Diamond 2.15MM, AA EXP 1.95MM, AS MVP .6MM, O/P .9MM, A/C & S/C
"Speed Tape"

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
Although it often looks like duct tape (and please do tell me if I misunderstood your point), it is called "speed tape," an aluminized tape that is formally approved for aircraft repairs. It is much stronger than duct tape (or any other type of tape) and can be used inside the cabin, or even on the aircraft exterior.

-J.
We called it 500 MILE PER TAPE , and yes it did remain on the aircraft at 500mph+^
Old Feb 21, 2013, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
DGS starts people in DTW out at $9.60/hr!? When I worked at OH that would have been my pay after 3 raises and locally DGS starts rampers out at $8. Obviously they attract and retain "top talent" with that amount of pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.