Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The CRJ 200 fleet is getting out of hand...

The CRJ 200 fleet is getting out of hand...

Old Feb 20, 13, 8:56 pm
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SE US
Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Posts: 4,201
The CRJ 200 fleet is getting out of hand...

Is there data out there that shows how often the 200s delay and cancel? My personal experiences of late are frustratingly poor. I will add I have made status on segments since the first Clinton administration... I have flown on these things with frequency for a long time and either I have had a bad run of luck or they are unable to fly a lot more often...

Also, are they under some sort of MO to tape em up and keep em going? The interiors on them are officially shot ... Speaking of tape , there were balls of tape lodged inside the window of the emergency exit door... They appeared to have been intentionally installed. It was kind of disconcerting ... I am sure it was not dangerous, but the fact that people who fix the plane would do that makes you wonder...
Thomas Hudson is offline  
Old Feb 20, 13, 9:07 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BOS
Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,050
Blah. I hate those planes. I have already gotten stuck on them three times this year. I need to stop flying through MEM.
eturowski is offline  
Old Feb 20, 13, 9:59 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ORD / MDW / FLL
Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 2,211
All I can say is that DL cannot get rid of these flying tuna cans fast enough. Problem is that some of them are finding their way over to AA where I get to continue my enjoyment with them.
SOBE ER DOC is offline  
Old Feb 20, 13, 10:41 pm
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Posts: 7,982
The CRJ 200 fleet is getting out of hand...

717s coming soon right?
HongKonger is offline  
Old Feb 20, 13, 11:01 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orlando, FL Area
Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Posts: 29,892
I've been lucky to have mostly decent interiors on the CRJ-200's. I just have a problem with who is operating them. You know Pinnacle must be really bad when you star longing for the Comair experience. As long as the crj is operated by Skywest I know I'll have a good flight.
readywhenyouare is offline  
Old Feb 21, 13, 1:44 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: DL KM, AS MVP, F9 50K, Bonvoy Plat, RHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Natl Exec, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rwds
Posts: 12,484
Speed Tape

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson View Post
Speaking of tape , there were balls of tape lodged inside the window of the emergency exit door... They appeared to have been intentionally installed. It was kind of disconcerting ... I am sure it was not dangerous, but the fact that people who fix the plane would do that makes you wonder...
Although it often looks like duct tape (and please do tell me if I misunderstood your point), it is called "speed tape," an aluminized tape that is formally approved for aircraft repairs. It is much stronger than duct tape (or any other type of tape) and can be used inside the cabin, or even on the aircraft exterior.

-J.
GW McLintock is offline  
Old Feb 21, 13, 5:16 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 99,080
For some markets, the CRJ-200 is the right size. If they're eliminated, some places will lose all DL service and other routes will reduce the frequency, making connections much less convenient and more risky. Be careful what you wish for....
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Feb 21, 13, 5:25 am
  #8  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SE US
Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Posts: 4,201
Originally Posted by jzweighaft View Post
Although it often looks like duct tape (and please do tell me if I misunderstood your point), it is called "speed tape," an aluminized tape that is formally approved for aircraft repairs. It is much stronger than duct tape (or any other type of tape) and can be used inside the cabin, or even on the aircraft exterior.

-J.
When it is made into a ball and used like a spacer on the inside of an exit row window, is it installed properly?
Thomas Hudson is offline  
Old Feb 21, 13, 5:35 am
  #9  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SE US
Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Posts: 4,201
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
For some markets, the CRJ-200 is the right size. If they're eliminated, some places will lose all DL service and other routes will reduce the frequency, making connections much less convenient and more risky. Be careful what you wish for....
Note, I have no issue with the plane itself. I have an issue with how it has been maintained, the significant rate of mechanical related delays and cancellations, and the overall appearance that they are under orders to spend as little as possible on the plane whilst keeping it generally fly able...

The fact that it is being utilized on routes, still, to places that traditionally supported and still do support mainline aircraft is a related issue in my case, but not really a point I was attempting to make.
Thomas Hudson is offline  
Old Feb 21, 13, 5:36 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 13,814
Fortunately I've been able to avoid the barbi-jet for over a year now since my routes are mainly serviced by mainline or RJ900s. My next 'adventure' on one will be for vacation at the end of Aug, since the RJ200 is the only option to connect to.

I agree they always do appear to have a beat up and dirty interior, and a rickety feeling in general.
rylan is offline  
Old Feb 21, 13, 5:45 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,533
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson View Post
Is there data out there that shows how often the 200s delay and cancel? My personal experiences of late are frustratingly poor. I will add I have made status on segments since the first Clinton administration... I have flown on these things with frequency for a long time and either I have had a bad run of luck or they are unable to fly a lot more often...

Also, are they under some sort of MO to tape em up and keep em going? The interiors on them are officially shot ... Speaking of tape , there were balls of tape lodged inside the window of the emergency exit door... They appeared to have been intentionally installed. It was kind of disconcerting ... I am sure it was not dangerous, but the fact that people who fix the plane would do that makes you wonder...
As much as I hate the CRJ....I have never once taken a delay or canceled flight with any. 200/700/900. (and i fly the little ones a good bit)

Having said that, I cant wait till the things are gone. I don't mind the ERJ family to much (get the 1 side and its great IMO) but jeesh i hate the CRJ.


oh, and it could be speed tape and it could be legal. Would have to see the "repair" and then would have to see the AMM. Very hard to say.... (just remember, sometimes you see something on an aircraft that is perfectly safe but it doesn't look/seem like it.)
Dawgfan6291 is offline  
Old Feb 21, 13, 5:56 am
  #12  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SE US
Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Posts: 4,201
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291 View Post
As much as I hate the CRJ....I have never once taken a delay or canceled flight with any. 200/700/900. (and i fly the little ones a good bit)

Having said that, I cant wait till the things are gone. I don't mind the ERJ family to much (get the 1 side and its great IMO) but jeesh i hate the CRJ.


oh, and it could be speed tape and it could be legal. Would have to see the "repair" and then would have to see the AMM. Very hard to say.... (just remember, sometimes you see something on an aircraft that is perfectly safe but it doesn't look/seem like it.)
Are you going to go on this very website and tell frequent fliers that you have never taken a delay on any of the RJ fleet? Tell us Mark Richt also has 7 National Championships at UGA so we know you are kidding...
Thomas Hudson is offline  
Old Feb 21, 13, 5:59 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Somehere in the Midwest
Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Posts: 3,896
I was reading the attached article and I quote - "In the year ending February 2013, 32% of Delta's system-wide flights were flown on 50-seat aircraft."

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1208...d?source=yahoo

It seems a huge number to me.
hazelrah is offline  
Old Feb 21, 13, 6:36 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SFO
Posts: 329
Originally Posted by hazelrah View Post
I was reading the attached article and I quote - "In the year ending February 2013, 32% of Delta's system-wide flights were flown on 50-seat aircraft."

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1208...d?source=yahoo

It seems a huge number to me.
I think number of flights is a less useful metric than how many people fly on a 50-seater. A 74S seats 376 pax; it'll take 7.5 CR2 flights to move that many people. While there may be a lot of 50-seater flights, there the percentage of DL pax flying on CR2s is far lower than 32%.
Builderman is offline  
Old Feb 21, 13, 7:44 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: TUS
Programs: DL DM, SC, Marriott Plat
Posts: 142
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
I've been lucky to have mostly decent interiors on the CRJ-200's. I just have a problem with who is operating them. You know Pinnacle must be really bad when you star longing for the Comair experience. As long as the crj is operated by Skywest I know I'll have a good flight.
+1 While the aircraft itself is very uncomfortable, the dependability seems to depend, unsurprisingly, on the operator. Over the last couple of years, Skywest has been doing a pretty good job.
milesho is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread