Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changing Country of Residence in the Post-MQD Era (Definitive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing Country of Residence in the Post-MQD Era (Definitive)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2021, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
So random question - I've opened my Delta account when I was living abroad in the UK (since 2012) and I've moved back to US. However, with the MQD requirement never bothered to update my address to US. My questions are:
  1. As long as I don't update my address back to US - I won't get hit with the MQD requirement
  2. I'm thinking of opening up a AMEX Delta Reserve but would I be able to benefit from the Companion Voucher?
1. Correct.
2 You should be able to get voucher. However I'm not sure if DL will see address on file with AMEX and cause MQD waiver to go away.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC there have been reports of DL questioning people about foreign addresses when it's noticed that the travel pattern suggests a USA home. Given current COVID-19 travel restrictions, someone at DL who knows the rules might find this even easier to spot, especially since DL knows which passport most of us use.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:45 am

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC there have been reports of DL questioning people about foreign addresses when it's noticed that the travel pattern suggests a USA home. Given current COVID-19 travel restrictions, someone at DL who knows the rules might find this even easier to spot, especially since DL knows which passport most of us use.
I get the travel pattern thing, but the passport wouldn’t tip them off. I have two and delta only ever sees the American one (for when I leave the US and enter the US).
Old Aug 31, 2021, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by AviationFreak
I get the travel pattern thing, but the passport wouldn’t tip them off. I have two and delta only ever sees the American one (for when I leave the US and enter the US).
Yeah the passport wouldn't tip them off since I have my UK/Korean passport in Delta File. I do have my UK home still with my parent's US home for reference but haven't been flagged...... yet*
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I think the thread was more it's possible than it's happened. Regardless DL defines address quite simply as address one gets Skymiles mailings at. Nothing more to it. It doesn't say you need to live there even. Just receive SM mail there. Theres requirements to change to one outside the US. However once changed there's no grounds I can see currently to switch you back.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
So DL lets you change your address at any time?
I have seen it done during each of the four quarters of the year, without there being a fixed period/date requirement. I was going to say all four seasons, but then I thought it wouldn’t fly as well.

Maybe it happens, but I’ve personally known no one to get hit by that. And I know a number of DL SkyMiles members who only ever have credited a lot of US-origin DL tickets to their DL accounts: and they either moved out of the US or only have lived outside the US but for whatever reason needed to get their mailing address changed from US ones to non-US ones.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 1, 2021 at 7:28 pm
Old Sep 1, 2021, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I have seen it done during each of the four quarters of the year, without there being a fixed period/date requirement. I was going to say all four seasons, but then I thought it wouldn’t fly as well.

Maybe it happens, but I’ve personally known no one to get hit by that. And I know a number of DL SkyMiles members who only ever have credited a lot of US-origin DL tickets to their DL accounts: and they either moved out of the US or only have lived outside the US but for whatever reason needed to get their mailing address changed from US ones to non-US ones.
It's not a case of "for whatever reason." Having a foreign address on a DL FF account is very valuable because it gives an automatic MQD waiver, even at the DM level (which would otherwise require $15,000 MQDs or $250,000 spend on DL AmEx cards).
Old Sep 2, 2021, 12:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It's not a case of "for whatever reason." Having a foreign address on a DL FF account is very valuable because it gives an automatic MQD waiver, even at the DM level (which would otherwise require $15,000 MQDs or $250,000 spend on DL AmEx cards).
I have repeatedly gone through the process of shifting addresses internationally with DL accounts and so am very well aware of the DL MQD waiver.

“For whatever reason needed to get their mailing address changed from US ones to non-US ones” covers a variety of reasons for some people. For some the reasoning includes getting the MQD waiver; for others it’s limited to getting the MQD waiver; and for others it’s a combination of factors or even of no factor involving the MQD waiver. In other words, the MQD waiver is merely coincidental outcome to the reason — and not a reason — for the address change.

Having a non-US address as primary on a DL FF account has no downsides?

Being shutdown by DL for moving the addresses abroad — after giving DL what DL requires to clear the moves to international addresses — isn’t a downside I’ve seen hit any accounts. And that is including the accounts that only ever have had DL tickets purchased with US bank cards since the introduction of the MQD waiver for foreign address accounts.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Originally Posted by flyerCO
2 You should be able to get voucher. However I'm not sure if DL will see address on file with AMEX and cause MQD waiver to go away.
I have the DL Platinum AmEx and I get the companion vouchers even though my SkyMiles account uses a Philippine address (and has always used a Philippine address even before the introduction of the MQD requirement). Granted I've yet to use them, but DL hasn't made them go away from what I know.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
So random question - I've opened my Delta account when I was living abroad in the UK (since 2012) and I've moved back to US. However, with the MQD requirement never bothered to update my address to US. My questions are:
  1. As long as I don't update my address back to US - I won't get hit with the MQD requirement
  2. I'm thinking of opening up a AMEX Delta Reserve but would I be able to benefit from the Companion Voucher?
Wondering if you got the card? Wondering if getting a Delta affiliated Amex card would take away the MQD waiver?
Old Oct 25, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by johnrep
Wondering if you got the card? Wondering if getting a Delta affiliated Amex card would take away the MQD waiver?
So I opened the AMEX Gold back in like 2018 and closed it on 2019 and the MQD was still waved. I'm just more curious about the Companion Certificate ahaahah
Old Oct 25, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I live in the Dominican Republic and hold a US Passport have been flying this way for 5 plus years not a peep out of Delta. and most of my flights I book JFK to SDQ not SDQ JFK round trip and its because I tend to book the trips when I return to NY or already in NY.

I also have a friend who last week had his address switched took over a month but thanks to the address switch he jumped from Gold to DIamond and he has the Purple Business card from Delta I think reserve and the platinum delta amex personal with his NY address but he lives in the DR mainly but he travels weekly.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 6:38 am

Question Address update with Frequent Flyer

Hi,

I recently tried to update my address from the US to Israel. Even tough I have uploaded my new Israeli drivers license (For address proof) I still haven't received any respond from Delta.

Anybody had same issue with updating their address for SkyMiles?
Old Nov 25, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by kobic77
Hi,

I recently tried to update my address from the US to Israel. Even tough I have uploaded my new Israeli drivers license (For address proof) I still haven't received any respond from Delta.

Anybody had same issue with updating their address for SkyMiles?
Try contacting them in the chat. We moved to Europe and I tried several times via the website to no avail. Five minutes on the chat and it was all done.
kobic77 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 1:26 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
My friend did this a few months ago after 2 months no answer. He called Delta and in 10 minutes they updated the address and 24 hours later he was MQM exempt
kobic77 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.