Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changing Country of Residence in the Post-MQD Era (Definitive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing Country of Residence in the Post-MQD Era (Definitive)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Diamond (Aspire)
Slightly off topic, but can someone explain to me the rationale behind giving foreign residents a waiver, please?
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Delta Dude
Slightly off topic, but can someone explain to me the rationale behind giving foreign residents a waiver, please?
The original one was that foreign residents might not be able to hold a Delta Amex so had no opportunity to earn it.

Wouldn't surprise me if the waiver went away for foreign Das
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
The original one was that foreign residents might not be able to hold a Delta Amex so had no opportunity to earn it.

Also difficult since Delta tickets are charged using the local currency so there would have to be a different MQD standard for each country like MQY for Japan, etc. With exchange rates fluctuating, it would be a nightmare for Delta to update the requirements for each country. I suspect that most residents of foreign countries would prefer to use their local airlines so the fraction of non-US DM members is rather small.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer

Was this ever an official statement / stand from Delta?

My own thoughts (as a layman) is that outside of US, Delta is not a dominant player and has very limited services e.g. Singapore. In order to provide a viable service to US customers to reach oversea destinations, they need other people to fill the planes. This is not as easy (compared to US) if they do not turn these non-US flyers into (Medallion) members as the choices are plentiful. Offer easier access to Medallion status and people are more likely to try and stay with Delta. Also consider the fact that outside of US, commuting to-fro between work assignments using a plane as transport are likely less common.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by muishkin
But OP said he is a primarily a US resident. What he is doing is pretty much the textbook definition of gaming the system i.e. where you are technically following the law but at the same time violating the spirit of the law.
So? Technically following the law is still following the law.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Yiran Liu
Hi,

I'm just curious how risky it is to keep a foreign address while mainly fly domestic? I can easily provide documents for my foreign address but i probably will stay at US most of the time (I do fly back to my country once a year). Any cases or DPs?

Thanks!
you are in violation of Delta's policy!!
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by KarlosQ
you are in violation of Delta's policy!!
Care to show where? There is NO such requirement as flying internationally to get waiver.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
I think it's because foreign passengers typically use less Delta services so their medallion cost is lower. For example there should be correspondingly fewer domestic flights, fewer requests for FC upgrades, and less usage of SC lounges. RUCs probably find less usage as well. On top of that, by definition, DL has no international hubs so they are literally fighting for that business much like they are fighting for SEA with AS. So it seems to make sense to me when you crunch the numbers as long as people aren't gaming the system.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Yiran Liu
Hi,

I'm just curious how risky it is to keep a foreign address while mainly fly domestic? I can easily provide documents for my foreign address but i probably will stay at US most of the time (I do fly back to my country once a year). Any cases or DPs?

Thanks!
I've been flying Delta for years and didn't know about this waiver until last year. I immediately submitted my foreign ID as proof with nothing else and was immediately approved (like a couple days later which is basically "instantaneous" for Delta!). Apparently I was supposed to submit more info but i think my obvious pattern over the years of international originating flights made it an easy call. But if I did get audited it would be easy for me to prove my foreign residency.

With that being said, pertinent to your case, I think they would probably take a look at flight records especially given that they are likely to suddenly see a surge in foreign waivers. So there's a risk, your call if it's worth it.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
What?

As another user posts, you could fly OAL. Where you fly on DL has zero to do with it. Heck you could fly a partner and not credit to DL.

All that matters is you have acceptable documentation of your address.
I don't think I have anything else to add, at this point. I'll keep my USA address. We'll see how well it works for those who try to circumvent the MQD rules by declaring an international address but yet continue to reside in the USA.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I don't think I have anything else to add, at this point. I'll keep my USA address. We'll see how well it works for those who try to circumvent the MQD rules by declaring an international address but yet continue to reside in the USA.
Hard to prove a negative. However there's never been one post about issues. Residence is generally viewed as where one makes home. Even if not there majority of time. DL has fairly simple straight forward rules for determining. Which address on file is primary. Nothing else. If you wish to make it seem more complicated, fine. However at least in this respect it's really not.
kar don likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Hard to prove a negative. However there's never been one post about issues. Residence is generally viewed as where one makes home. Even if not there majority of time. DL has fairly simple straight forward rules for determining. Which address on file is primary. Nothing else. If you wish to make it seem more complicated, fine. However at least in this respect it's really not.
Love this post ^
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:53 pm

This is going to be great.

Don't you think that Delta is going to notice that shortly after we announced the new qualification rules all the members who used to live in the US moved????
Old Oct 5, 2017, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
This is going to be great.

Don't you think that Delta is going to notice that shortly after we announced the new qualification rules all the members who used to live in the US moved????
That's what makes me think they are going to scrutinize new address changes more closely for the next year and the easiest initial filter is history of flight originations.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
That's what makes me think they are going to scrutinize new address changes more closely for the next year and the easiest initial filter is history of flight originations.
Which shows/proves nothing. Passenger could be from Asia and only flies DL domestically, KE, GA, VN, SQ, MH, CX etc for rest of flights.

Can see them scrutinizing documents more closely. However this whole only flying DL domestically issue is ridiculous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.