Wiki Posts
Search

Best strategy for changing a flight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; Bonvoy Ambassador
Best strategy for changing a flight?

Plans changed. Instead of flying SAN-LGA on Monday, I now need to do a meeting at ORD.

Tried to change my ticket so that my SAN-ATL-LGA went SAN-MSP-ORD-LGA with a long enough layover for the meeting, but the lowest that would price out at was $1200.

Booking a one-way SAN-MSP-ORD-LGA was $700 less expensive, so I did that.

Now, what to do with the return portion of the original itinerary? Just eat it, or change it? And if the solution is change it, change it how and for when? (It's a T fare, for which the total R/T price was about $300.)

If the solution is eat it (which I suspect it is), what's the best way to let Delta know I won't be on those flights?

(Bonus question: Under the new regime, would the flight I didn't take still earn MQDs?)
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:23 pm

I have had luck using SDC for purposes such as yours. For example, I changed a LAS-MEM-RDU-ATL-BNA to a LAS-JFK-RDU-ATL-BNA - and more recently, a SFO-SLC-PHX-ATL-BNA to a SFO-DTW-LGA-BNA. But YMMV, and highly dependent on availability. Your stopover will initially need to be <4 hours at ORD, but you can "miss" it and SDC as you desire.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; Bonvoy Ambassador
I did consider that, but I can't imagine that there's any legal routing SAN to LGA that includes ORD on DL... (If the meeting could have happened at MSP or DTW, I definitely would have done that.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.