Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting luggage on 2 ticket trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2013, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: delta
Connecting luggage on 2 ticket trip

My adult kids are using Delta award tickets to get from the midwest to JFK. Then travelling on another paid Delta ticket from JFK to CAI. I have read that you can connect your luggage so they don't have to pick up and recheck bags in JFK. How is this done? Should they call Delta before flying or just ask at checkin from their home airport?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 1:40 pm

Ask for through-check at home airport. TA should be able to see both reservations.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
I have the same question regarding a trip that is two separate 006 stock tickets, but one will be DL and one on CZ metal. Will this be able to be checked through?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:18 pm

On the DL outbound, you will be fine - on the CZ inbound, you might have some trouble, but I"m sure you could talk your way out of that one. YMMV.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Be sure to have copies of your itinerary and the PNR for each at check in.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: delta
Thank you.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 1:31 pm

I went searching for what I thought was the new policy that you could not longer check through with two separate tickets. Instead, I found this:

Update: On October 25, 2012, Delta published a policy on delta.com clarifying the baggage check process for customers traveling on separate tickets. The publication stated that for travel on or after January 15, 2012, Delta policy would be to check a passenger’s baggage between the origin and destination points of a single or conjuncted ticket exclusively. Delta has since determined that it will postpone the implementation of the clarified policy in order to further assess implications, to better understand any applicable regulatory requirements, and to provide travel partners with additional time to evaluate potential adjustments to ticketing practices associated with such policy.
Comes from here http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...p/checked.html (Incidentally, I hate the broken links to the website/formatting between http: and https: )

Interesting -- I was all prepared to have an issue in BCN (and having to recheck) when checking PMI-BCN on Air Europa and BCN-JFK on DL.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
No problems DL to DL

Recently had to book 2 tickets or lose me SWU on a Hawaii - mainland flight (change would have resulted in rebook and loss of F class upgrade). Had 2 Delta tickets and was able with online check in BPs to thru check bags. However it did make an issue for BP issuance and they had to be issued at each gate for the next flight. Was not an issue to me (seat/equp chg due to aircraft chg resulted in useless online chk in BP)

So long story short. As of a week ago DL to DL seperate tickets were not a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.